How much musical merit in hair metal?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mtvgeneration, Apr 7, 2021.

1. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

I'd like to garb the first Babylon AD one.
    The original release is $$$.
    When The Hammer Swings Down!!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i have the bands early releases and whatever the newest babylon AD album is. the singer also has some solo albums

MYQ1 likes this.
  3. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

Going back around to Cinderella & the Phili thing, I scored both Tangier releases years back for $1 each. :righton:
    Haven't thought about them in a long time.
    Cool bluesy stuff too.

Switching coasts, how about some Jetboy?:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
    Matthew Tate and Saint Johnny like this.
  4. Matthew Tate

the second tangier album with lecompt singing is imo the better

jetboy deserved to be bigger.

ever heard this gem?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Y2p68lUFZo

Saint Johnny likes this.
  5. Matthew Tate

another great jetboy tune

YarRevenge and Saint Johnny like this.
  6. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

Great interview with Billy Rowe from Jetboy with journeyman guitarist Ryan Roxie (Alice Cooper, Electric Angels, Candy).
    Talking about their early days in San Fran as kids and then in LA.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. doity

doity Forum Resident

HELLO.........Every Rose Has A Thorn is a sheer masterpiece that is recognized by just about every musicologist and music critic as one of the most influential songs of all time. The groundbreaking use of complex chord changes, the use of challenging polyrhythms, along a jaw dropping showpiece of vocals that convey the touching and heartfelt lyrics, add up to what is undoubtedly a classic for the ages. When the books are written many years from now the names of Rikki Rockett and C.C. DeVille will be mentioned along with Bach and Mozart as being musicians who deserve to be venerated.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  8. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

Nope only got Damned Nation & Feel The Shake.
    Two more flea market finds. :righton:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. Matthew Tate

if you can find that album of outtakes and leftovers its really good. lemmy is even on a song

MYQ1 likes this.
  10. deeluxdx7

deeluxdx7 Forum Resident

Wait.....are you saying DANA STRUM wanked on the BASS?!?!!?

......Did you mean to say Vinny?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. deeluxdx7

deeluxdx7 Forum Resident

Mehhh.....Jetboy was one of those bands.....for ME (You are entitled to your own opinion.) that LOOKED like they should have been better than they actually were.

I would see a picture of them and think: "Wow! This band gets it! They are going to be awesome!"

Then when I heard them, the music always sounded......pedestrian?

They remind me of a British band from the 80's called Transvision Vamp.

They were like a mix of Jesus and Marychain, Blondie and contemporary hair metal.......everything about them SCREAMED: "This band is going to be incredible!"

.........but........the SONGS just didn't cut it......You have to have HITS.....and by that, I don't mean a song in the top 40, I mean you need to have some of those songs that people hear for the first time and love.

Songs that you remember 20 years down the road and think "Damn! That song was so good! I need to hear it again NOW!"

Songs that become immortal, and outlive the people who performed/wrote them.

Unfortunately, in my opinion, Transvision Vamp......and Jetboy......just lacked HITS!

"Feel the shake" is a decent song......but it's pretty much recycled AC/DC......you need to bring more to the table than that. And that CAN'T be your best song.

Just my opinion.

Juggsnelson and Matthew Tate like this.
  12. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

No dana's playing live is just obnoxious. He's great on the records....very melodic and busy but within the song. Live I feel like he is just playing as many notes as he can as fast as he can.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. deeluxdx7

deeluxdx7 Forum Resident

HAHAHA!!!

That's HILARIOUS!!!

I had NO IDEA Dana Strum used to wank on the bass.....HAHAHA!!!

That must have been GAWD-AFULL!!!

Matthew Tate and Juggsnelson like this.
  14. deeluxdx7

deeluxdx7 Forum Resident

Sorry man.........but I've got to say it.

"Too Fast For Love" DESTROYS "Shout at the Devil" all week long.....

.....and twice on Sundays.

15. Doomster

Doomster Forum Resident

Haha … I’d rank ‘these two in chronological order too, but an upper case “DESTROYS” is way too big a delta for the actual qualitative difference!!

Shout at the Devil is a front-to-back genre classic if there ever was one. Like it’s predecessor.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2021
    BA Baracus likes this.
  16. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Agreed, but still Devil is a powerhouse on its own as well. A solid powerful sophomore effort by the Crüe 1983.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. Psychedelic Good Trip

"Love On The Rocks"

Many don't like Poison but this is a killer leadoff track on Poison's 1988 album Open Up And Say...ahh!

IMHO

18. Pouchkine

Pouchkine Forum Resident

Do you prefer the live version on Swallow This Live or the studio one?

19. Psychedelic Good Trip

Studio but I like the live version as well.

Pouchkine likes this.
  20. Matthew Tate

live for me

21. deeluxdx7

deeluxdx7 Forum Resident

Well, to be fair.....it's pretty much a different band on the respective records.

"Too fast" is "Glam/Punk"......and a great representation of an under represented scene.

Kim Fowley's Hollywood Stars....and later The Runaways are about the only band's who documented the L.A, Late 70's Glam scene.

...And I would add "Too Fast" to that short list.

"Shout" was 80's Heavy Metal.

Nikki was "In it to win it" and he saw the future of his band best served by making a decisive turn in that direction.

And "Shout" is a QUALITY Heavy Metal record.....no argument there.

......It's just that "Too Fast" is so much more suited to my personal tastes.

So I guess I shouldn't have said it was objectively "Better"

22. deeluxdx7

deeluxdx7 Forum Resident

I'm no Poison hater.

I LOVE the first record.

....but they kind of lost me after that.

They had this cool....Cheap Trick, KISS, The Sex Pistols all thrown in a blender thing going that I really loved.

But after the first record?,....."Fallen Angel" is a great song....."Nothing but a good time" is cool. (Way to rip off the opening riff from "Deuce".....but then again, Paul Stanley admits he ripped that off from a Raspberries song....yes, Paul wrote the opening riff. KISS weren't great at crediting everyone who contributed to a song. Gene wrote the bridge to "Cold Gin" He also re-wrote a LOT of the lyrics to "God of Thunder". I think they wanted to "Brand" songs. As in: "This is an Ace song", "This is a Gene song"....in an attempt to be like the Beatles....."Love Gun" was a rip-off of a song called "The Hunter".....but it's rumored that Sean Delaney is the one who really put it together, Paul admits to having trouble keeping up with KISS's breakneck pace of recording at the time. They needed material and they needed it FAST...Rumor has it that Paul was quoted as telling Sean Delaney: "Ok......but you are NOT getting credit on this one!"......I digress......what a surprise, huh?)

Poison weren't a great live band. But they DEFINITLY had something.

I think they got caught up in that late 80's "We need to be Bluesy and say we like Aerosmith" trend that so many bands got caught up in.

23. Doomster

Doomster Forum Resident

Agree with more or less every word.

deeluxdx7 likes this.
  24. deeluxdx7

deeluxdx7 Forum Resident

It's actually been funny to hear Nikki backtracking over the last few years.

He used to barley acknowledge "Too Fast" (Though in his heart, I think it was more like what he really wanted to do.)

He used to rate that record as little better than a demo, and just a means to an end. He would make fun if it and treat it like "Baby pictures"

He would almost act as if "Shout" was the first real record.

But as time has gone by.....the Motley Crue record, destined for immortality has clearly become "Too Fast" ("Shout is a candidate as well....but I maintain, those are the only true 5 star records the band ever madenjnj)
    I haven't heard that song since I was a little kid.....NOT FRIGGING BAD!!!

(Not crazy about Bret's vocal performance however, GET ON THE MIC BUDDY!)

25. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Go back to your Beach Boys thread.

spacedyed, deeluxdx7 and Nick Prango like this.