How much of your youth music do you still listen to?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ronm, Apr 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Most of the music I listen to comes from that era. Fortunately there's still tons ftom the era I'm not familiar with and get to discover as well. Admittedly my interest in modern music is practically nil. It doesn't do anything for me and I'm not going to apologize for it.

paradox55, ronm, mcp and 1 other person like this.
  2. Koabac

Koabac Self-Titled

I would say I continue to listen to most of the artists that I loved as a teenager, giving their new material a chance and revisiting albums or eras I found challenging at the time, MORE than I actually listen to the music they made when I was growing up.

I'm sorta belligerently an anti-"I like their old stuff better" guy, on principle. I still love all the music I loved growing up, but I like to remain loyal to those artists who meant so much to me and respect their own creative growth and journey - even when it goes off on tangents that aren't exactly my cup of tea (Costello is my dang avatar, for heaven's sake, so you can imagine).

That said, if the OP is mainly talking about listening to "new artists" vs "artists of your youth," I would fall into the later category, while slowly and occasionally adding a new/newer artist into my ever-expanding list of artists from whom I want to collect and hear EVERYTHING they ever released.

Music is juts the best. Whatever you listen to that enriches your life, enjoy it!

3. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

Aged 58 I listen to most of the music I grew up with.

Fortunately I still have all my LPs dating back over 4 decades.

I also listen to an awful lot of music from the present day.

Mr-Beagle likes this.
  4. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

I believe you don't outgrow music ... if it's a passion. Combine that with nostalgia and that's about as strong a potion as there is ... and thank god it hasn't diminished one bit.

5. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I probably listen to more newer music, say from the last 20 years and newer, than I do from the music that really began my love of music in the 60's and 70's. I still enjoy the discovery. I don't think I have quite the emotional link with the newer music than I did from the early years. That base of music is still there for me whenever I call upon it but it is not the mainstream of my listening these days.

ronm likes this.
  6. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Probably 85 percent.

ronm likes this.
  7. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

I still own practically every record I've ever bought, and not only do I still enjoy most of what I grew up on, I see connections between many of the new artists I listen to today and those artists. As I've said here before, if I liked those sounds as a kid, why wouldn't I like them now?

8. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Like the idea more than listening now.
    But, physical media is great persuader.
    Still a great thrill getting a LP title that catches your eye ( rare ).

9. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Quoting because I really like this post. Can only add that I'll be 60 this year, and if I had to explain myself ( first time for everything ? :laugh: ), new remasterings, better SQ, and previously unreleased 50+ year-old recordings are new to me !

Thievius likes this.
  10. FFF

FFF Forum Resident

exclusively

11. bobc

bobc Bluesman

Not so much. I still have it all in various forms, but I find that as I know every note and every word I don't really have to listen to it. I just know it too well. When a friend puts on one of those old records (e.g. the Pretty Things first album, as happened recently - OK, I'm a boomer), I am just embarrassed to know every little bit of it. I can't help singing along, miming all of the guitars riffs and juggling the drum fills. There's not a lot of point in sitting alone listening to something you know very well, probably too well.

mozz likes this.
  12. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

You make it sound as if someone has a fairly limited 'supply' of the old stuff. I have enough 'old stuff' to listen to, to never get bored. It's kind of like food...I don't ever get bored with hamburgers, Mexican food, Chinese food, Seafood etc..etc...etc...and enjoy it every time. Plus I've gone back even before I was old enough to pay attention and discover lots and lots of great older music. So yeah...I agree with you last statement....and will add...

The more you love music, the more music there is to love. 'New' doesn't have to mean contemporary...but new to oneself.

13. DentonChris

DentonChris Well-Known Member

I always seem to gravitate back to the stuff I grew up with. Some people do that and others don’t. Maybe part of it is how deep of a connection you make with the stuff in the first place.

14. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

None, I have zero interest in listening to "Classic Rock" that I grew up with. When it was new, it was great, but I can't listen to any of it these days.

bvb1123 and ralphb like this.
  15. JohnB

JohnB Senior Member

Most of the music I listened to back then (Van Morrison, Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, Neil Young etc) has stood the test of time and sounds just fine to my ears these days. I did listen a very small amount of metal and punk back then too, but aside from a few songs here and there almost all of that music sounds rather juvenile to me now and I can't even listen to it, even for nostalgia's sake.

16. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

The way I see it, it's the other way round: when I was a kid, I was already listening to my "grown-up music".

Terrapin Station likes this.
  17. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

I'd say about 75% of what I listen to these days is new stuff. Never lost that itch to explore the new.

18. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

19. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

For me about 90% of what I listened to as a teenager. I had the good fortune to go through high school in the early to mid 70's when the classic rock genre was defined. Anything I listen to that is new would be electric blues like Coco Montoya and Walter Trout.

20. ronm

ronm audiofreak Thread Starter

I can understand that.Of all the Classic Rock I grew up with I can probably only listen to half of what I did.There is some though that I never heard though and even though its classic its new to me.Hell I just discovered pre DSOTM Pink Floyd a few years ago and am loving it to this day.Mainly in my op it was about listening to music of your youth and the music you never really listened to back then and the quality of the music of that age.

21. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

Just a thought , if a person never grew away from music at a certain period in their life ( which many do because of their lives being taken up by marriage, jobs , children ect. ) and have continued listening to at least some current music throughout the years then it is far easier for them to see the connections.

22. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

It’s still the bulk of what I listen

ronm likes this.
  23. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

grew up during the late 80’s/early 90’s , so you can go figure..... Prince, The Cure, Lou Reed, The Smiths, Public Enemy, Ice T, Siouxsie & The Banshees, The Smashing Pumpkins, PJ Harvey, Metallica, ..

24. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

I still listen to about 75% of the music I loved as a kid, but it does not mean that 75% of my listening is to that music. I have "leavened" my tastes considerably since high school.

25. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

I remain a fan of most of it, but the question was about still listening to it. My initial inclination was to say "yes," because I'd certainly welcome nearly any of those favorite albums if they were to be put on my stereo, and because many of them are in constant rotation in my head, but after thinking about it more, guess I really don't actually listen to them all that much in practice. After doing some thinking, I'd say that 80%-90% of my active listening (non random stuff popping up on shuffle) is to things that I've acquired in the last 6 months or so. A good portion of the rest of that is for "whatever the mood suits," which is more likely to be classical or jazz these than the bands I was into as a teen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.