How much warp do you consider acceptable on a new LP?*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by russk, Jun 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. russk

russk Forum Resident Thread Starter

So I received a couple of LPs as presents yesterday. One was the Chris Cornell album Song Book. Which is so badly warped it looks like the tonearm is struggling to make progress and it has some lable damage so its got to go back.

The other was the Disney Silly Symphonies set. I'm playing the first album now and it's quiet but it has a little bit of what I'd call edge warp. The tonearm goes up and down a tiny bit but seems to level out after the first song.

Both were bought from a reputable online shop, Soundstage Direct, I usually have good luck with them and they're only a state away from me. However no matter where I buy new vinyl it's getting harder and harder to get it without it being warped to some degree. I no longer buy from Amazon because it got to the point where there was a 50% chance the record would be so warped that it would be unlistenable. The local record shop here seems to run about a 15% rate but their selection is on the small side.

So what amount of warp is acceptable to you? Where do you think the warp happens? From heat during shipping? Would I be better off not buying g records during the summer? Or do you think that the quality control is just horrible these days?

CBackley, bru87tr and Alan Bumstead like this.
  2. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Heat I would think. As far as warp, I know too much when I see it.
    I really don't have any badly warped albums.

audiomixer likes this.
  3. jlykos

jlykos Forum Resident

Zero warp is acceptable to me. This is not new technology. I have records in my collection from the 1950s through 1990s that do not have any warp at all. Why is it that half of the new albums that I receive are warped, including those from the so-called "audiophile" companies? My personal sense is that the companies are in such a rush to get the product to market that they overlook basic and fundamental quality control measures. Either that or they simply don't care about the customer. The golden dollar reigns supreme.

OldSoul, Mr Bass, audiomixer and 15 others like this.
  4. tyinkc

tyinkc Senior Member

5. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I have a lot more patience towards inaudible warps then I do going through the hassle of returning a record.

JoeWild, digreyfox, DavidD and 23 others like this.
  6. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Most of my LP's "mostly flat", but 100%? I don't think so.

That said, I'm OK with some light warp. As @Manimal stated, I usually know "too much" when I see it, pretty much when the stylus looks like it's on a roller coaster + that's usually when there's something audible.

Frosst, Aftermath, John Woo and 2 others like this.
  7. A slight or very slight warp doesn't bother me, as long as it's inaudible.

Methodical, AidanB, joeriz and 9 others like this.
  8. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I agree. Warps come with buying vinyl. I only send back if it is excessive.

Frosst, AidanB, Graham and 5 others like this.
  9. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

When it affects the sound. Inaudible warps are meaningless to me.

JoeWild, AidanB, Isaac K. and 4 others like this.
  10. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Accept no warp!

audiomixer, bru87tr and bxbluesman like this.
  11. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Records aren't Hardware. Asked that this thread be moved.
    Also asked that misspelling be corrected in subject line.

NO amount of warping is acceptable to me.

superstar19, pscreed and thesisinbold like this.
  12. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

None. Bought four recent issues for the coloured vinyl and they're all fine.

13. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

14. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

On a new LP? None. Used I'll accept a slight warp. I'm more tolerant the less I paid for the record. The $3 records I buy I consider myself "talking a flier on" which has produced mixed results, but also resulted in some steals. It comes down to enjoyment of the record. If I close my eyes and can't hear it I don't care.

wavethatflag and Alan2 like this.
  15. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

If you're talking about stuff released in 2016, you're probably going to get a warp most of the time. Your chances of not experiencing a warp are actually smaller with a used record from decades ago.

Aftermath, AidanB, bru87tr and 3 others like this.
  16. We're obviously not buying the same music as warped records have never been much of an issue with me.

17. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Yea me too. I don't buy a lot of new stuff, but what I have has been excellent. One had a jacked up double label on the album but it was good otherwise.

VictoryHighway likes this.
  18. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

Maybe you are doing it wrong. But I agree the old pressings are generally superior. But if the new ones have any advantage its the heavier vinyl which I would think would lead to less warping.

19. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I assume some of you would return something like this?

I probably wouldn't - it's warped of course, but not badly and as long as it's not audible I'd probably keep it. Gotta pick my battles.

20. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

What is it that I am personally doing wrong?

Dude, I don't own a pressing plant! If you search this website hard enough, you'll find an awful lot of unhappiness with purchases of new vinyl over the last few years. It's up to you to discover it.

And for the umpteenth time, the weight of the record has practically nothing to do with it. It's much more a matter of rushing things at the limited number of pressing plants at this moment in time - a la, not allowing for enough cooling time, etc.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
    bru87tr and Scott222C like this.
  21. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

The warps described are unacceptable. Suspension damage will mean a new stylus or cartridge.
    Suggestion,
    There is a device been described on this forum.it flattens LP,s.
    Not sure of the cost, but it won,t be cheap.
    However, if 6 or more vinyl users bought it between them , the cost would be shared.

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  22. FJosh

FJosh Forum Resident

ex·cept·ed
    ikˈseptid/
    adjective
    1. not included in the category or group specified
    If an LP is warped it's still an LP.

AidanB likes this.
  23. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I'd return it.

24. missan

missan Forum Resident

I buy quite a few records, can´t remember when I got a warped record with a warp that effects anything when playing, I haven´t got them.

BuddhaBob likes this.
  25. For the extremely unreasonable costs of vinyl records these days, I would accept NO WARP, whatsoever. Even only a couple hundred miles away, sometimes I would receive slightly warped records from Classic Records. After sending several back, CR automatically checked and flattened records before they sent them to me, at no extra charge. They used to charge everyone else $1. each to do this.

Warp can come from heat during shipping, but many times it begins during the pressing. If the records are not cooled down enough before the press opens, warp can occur.

Records are pressed all over the world besides the U.S. and you have to realized that warpage can occur during shipping to the retailer. Many records are pressed in California, a very warm State, and then shipped. Anything can happen during shipping even from PA to NY. Even if a record is pressed in NY by Pallas USA/Furnace, it's made atleast 2 trips by the time you receive it.

Another thing, you don't buy from Amazon? Do you have something against great customer service? Even if you have a problem with something you bought from Amazon, they will exchange it, no questions asked, and will send you out a replacement copy(if they have it in stock) and you will receive it tin the next day or two. If they even ask you to return the defective item, Amazon gives you free return shipping. With speedy service like this, you will have your replacement copy before SSD even ships your order the first time. Don't get me wrong. SSD gives good customer service, but you have to wait quite a bit. SSD doesn't always pack very well and your records can arrive damaged because of that. If you receive a damaged cover, SSD blames it on the record being left inside the cover. BS, it's the packing. They want to send you an album with the record removed from the cover(giving it a better chance to warp). I want my records to remain sealed until I receive them. Amazon packs much better.

NO. I will absolutely NOT accept a warped record!

bru87tr and Wounded Land like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.