How often do you use Discogs?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Vern, Dec 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sheik Yerbouti

Sheik Yerbouti Senior Member

I rarely use it. It is riddled with mistakes.

Jae likes this.
  2. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

Everyday.
    I've catalogued my lp collection on there so I'm constantly on there adding to the list.
    An amazing way to know what you've got when you're record shopping.

I also use the fun 'random item' button to select music to listen to.

3. Garish

Garish Well-Known Member

Constantly. I add to the database and catalog my collection on it because I am insane.

4. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I started cataloging my collection on Discogs. When I started submitting or editing releases on the site, I got bombarded with really aggressive responses from other users for making changes. One guy threatened to "report me" because I didn't sufficiently "prove" that my edits were accurate (they were). I thought I had bad OCD when it came to record collecting! There are some real anal retentive nutjobs on Discogs.

It is nice to have a visual catalog of my collection stored on a database, though.

5. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Rarely. I go to Allmusic more often.

6. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

Daily. I try to add my collection over there and amend releases to the best of my ability. Not always easy, mind you. I once tried to convince a guy from Germany who insisted to add the wrong pictures to a Bonnie Raitt WB US LP . The differences between palmtree labels etcetera were completely lost on him. After 2 attempts I gave up. I think one year later another member added the correct pictures. I do not have a problem with obsessive behaviour on one hand, because when it comes to vinyl others will regard me as obsessive too. But some experienced members are too aggressive in their approach and people shy away from the site, which is a pity.
    First ask politely and explain why you think it is incorrect. Try to encourage people to use the site and we will all benefit, is my motto.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
    Lost In The Flood likes this.
  7. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I started using it all the time to get cover images to complete/correct my iTunes metadata. I also finally found an affordable copy of My Chemical Romance's Conventional Weapons 1 45 last month.

8. eb2jim

eb2jim Forum Resident

I have used it about a dozen times. Only one was a clown - had wrong disc in the jacket - but he was blowing out bargain bin lps so it wasn't a major investment. So overall I would say Discogs has a much better satisfaction level. The prices and shipping can be decent unless you are going crazy for something. Just search and be patient. The discs I have gotten with the one exception have been accurately graded and shipped fine. There are far fewer ebay type things, like down on their luck guys buying filthy scratched up crap at a rummage sale and putting it on eBay as VG+++!

And don't get me started on this ebay "restocking" fee sh!t.

9. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

A few times,

10. bibijeebies

The instrument 'Jawbone' is missing there, at least I couldn't find it and I had to add it for a Esquivel release recently. I think you first need to appear before a grand committee to proof - beyond reasonable doubt - that it IS a 'Jawbone' and not a digital keyboard posing as one and that you have asked about this in the forum first. No wonder some people will give up!

11. schelti

schelti Forum Resident

A lot. I buy and I sell. Sometimes add to their database. Great site.

12. JustVinyl

JustVinyl Forum Resident

Several times a week at home and often when in used record stores. Also bought a few things from some of the sellers but a bit of a gamble as no pictures of the specific items for sale.

13. bibijeebies

I always ask for pictures....

JustVinyl likes this.
  14. Complier

Complier Senior Member

I check Discogs daily.

15. bonestorm

bonestorm Forum Resident

Several times a day

16. bibijeebies

I would welcome a dedicated -distinguished- list of sellers that really excel in grading, but it is unrealistic. I am not talking about just 100% feedback.... Unless I know you and your gear etcetera I just cannot be sure that you grade accurately.

17. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

18. floweringtoilet

floweringtoilet Forum Resident

I use it for information often. However, I have only bought from a seller there once and have never sold anything myself. I was pleased with my lone transaction however.

19. JustVinyl

JustVinyl Forum Resident

Ah ... it never occurred to me to ask! Next time ...

20. phish

phish Jack Your Body

i used it daily, multiple times. i really miss the old ogger forums. most of the regulars have split off, but for a while, it was a fantastic electronic dance music community.

21. ChrisEfterklang

ChrisEfterklang Forum Resident

I use it almost on a daily basis. I have my whole collection catalogued up there and I like the "Random Item" button on your private Collection page to pull up an item. Made me play albums I hadn't thought of for a long long time.

And I am also one of those 'nutjobs' that enters data. Like I said I have my collection catalogued there and every new item that isn't in the database gets entered by me a.s.a.p. and as completely and correctly as possible.

And I have also started a new major project there and that is that I take every item from my collection and check wether all the details in Database are correct and wether an item needs amending / correcting etc. I usually do a few items per week so it is a slow process but I like doing it. Haven't encountered any problems from long serving members so far there only a few suggestions to correct some stuff.

22. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

Only used it for buying, never really investigated the site any further. But I will now.

23. Twangy

Twangy Forum Resident

because i am insane, i use it, as well as others like 45cat, to get picture sleeves for my iTunes library….with 25K songs, and as a graphic designer, i like to find sleeves for songs on LP's that i can clean up in photoshop, and replace the cover listing…….there's something cool about having a weird sleeve for a Raspberries or Beatles track instead of the same old cd art…..call Bellevue, please!!!!

24. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

I buy records there fairly often.

25. ascot

ascot Senior Member

I use it very often as a research tool. I have bought a couple things there, too, and was very happy with each item.

dennis the menace and Dave like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.