How to burn dvd-audio discs in 2019

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by P-P-P-P-P-P-P-Penguin, Jun 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. P-P-P-P-P-P-P-Penguin

P-P-P-P-P-P-P-Penguin Member Thread Starter

I've been looking at the options. I would have been happy to purchase cirlinca HD DVD audio, or discwelder bronze, but they are no longer available anywhere. There was a free program called audiofile which is also no longer available. I don't have a mac- can only do windows or Linux and not windows 10. I don't want to buy an expensive programme like wavelab pro or samplitude just for this.

So the only option would seem to be "DVD audio tools" but I cannot get it to work. On windows (xp) I install from the various win32 installers- and when you click the shortcut in the start menu it links to a .DLL file, not an .exe. When you go to the installation folder there is no file that runs when you click it.
    So I tried to install it in ubuntu linux, but I am not technical enough to do that without a .deb file- the download comes as something called a tar that requires you to "make" it or something and I couldn't find the way to do it.

All I want is to burn dvd-audio discs from wav files up to 24/196.

Can anybody suggest anything?

Many thanks all replies

2. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

As far as I can find (and I have spent sometime looking), your best bet is to get a Mac and use Audiofile. I’ll bet you will also find some other uses where the Mac is preferable to PC/Windows (and vice-versa). You can also try getting in touch with the author of DVD-Audiofile to see if he has the program for Windows that he could send to you.

3. Thoughtships

Thoughtships Forum Resident

I've actually got dvd-Audiofile...

The program itself will be somewhere on one of my hard drives...

4. P-P-P-P-P-P-P-Penguin

P-P-P-P-P-P-P-Penguin Member Thread Starter

Looks like it's basically not possible without spending real money on a Mac.

5. jɑmbo

jɑmbo Forum Resident

I found a couple of options for Windows

lplex - this one will burn DVD Video discs with audio only up to 24/96, but not above.

DVD audio Tools - this one claims to be able to burn proper DVD Audio discs.

6. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Or finding someone with s copy of discwelder bronze to "loan" you. It must be out there on other member forums.

7. Newton John

Newton John Forum Resident

I seem to remember it was possible to burn five DVDs with Cirlinca HD DVD as a trial. If you use another PC you can burn another five and so on.

I think I have the setup file on my PC if you need it.

8. jeffreybh

jeffreybh Gunter Gleiben Glauchen Globen

Actually I believe the free open source program Burn for Mac can create DVD-Audio discs

9. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

Foobar2000 with DVD-audio plugin worked for me.

Dan Steele likes this.
  10. JamieLang

JamieLang Forum Resident

This....

I've been Mac exclusive for my "personal" machines for years--back when I first started buying HDTracks I HAD to use Burn--it was already installed for just making quick audio CDs....thought nothing of it until I went to try to use the new Windows10 DAW because the iMac's old superdrive has gotten flakey--and I've had the Opportunity for years playing files directly....but, I wanted recently to burn DVDA to store with some vinyl records--pull the same thing out to either put in the digital HD or the record....I ended up making them with the old SuperDrive on the dual core iMac up in the office....couldn't be anything easier.

jeffreybh likes this.
  11. harby

harby Forum Resident

Cirlinca DVD-Audio Solo - and since they ripped off many paying users when they disappeared, feel free to use technical measures to extend the available 30 day trial as long as you want.

12. jenkovix

jenkovix Forum Resident

just found this thread.
    does it make sense to convert hi-res files to red book and burn them to disc (I have only cd transport, no audio pc or network player). I know technically it doesn't make any sense but maybe listening probes by somebody justify this method. just curious.

13. Thoughtships

Thoughtships Forum Resident

I've done that loads of times. And if you lay off the dither you can get some nice discs.
    Whatever works, basically. Whatever gets the music you like into your ears.

14. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

There's that software called DVD Architect Studio by Sony where you can create your own DVDs and Blu-rays including professional looking menus.
    It has the option to drag'n'drop video and audio files into a container, similar to a video edit software, you just have to set the order of the content (incl. making menu links if you like) and then burn the project to a disc.

15. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

If the hi-res version has a different mastering then it totally makes sense. Don't forget to add downsampling stage for a proper conversion if the hi-res files are not upconverted originally.

16. Mark FTP

Mark FTP New Member

I don't know about anyone else but I was able to use Audiofile for Mac on Windows PC. It worked for me about 75% of the time on Windows 2000 and Vista. I tried to run it just now and well it didn't work on win7.

17. Mark FTP

Mark FTP New Member

My mistake, there was a win32bit version. I found it on my hard drive.

18. Pheckphul

Pheckphul Member

I realize this is a necropost, but I thought I'd try and solve the OP's issue with DVD audio Tools.

DVD audio Tools is a not a graphical application, it is command line-only. This is probably the root of your problem getting it to work. There is a graphical frontend called "DVDA-Author" that is an optional install.

DVD audio Tools isn't a simple drag-and-drop application. To use it properly requires a bit of documentation reading, but once read it is pretty straightforward.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.