How to connect powered sub to McIntosh MC300 connection

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Paul DeLuca, Jun 9, 2023.

1. Paul DeLuca

Paul DeLuca Forum Resident Thread Starter

Looked everywhere but no luck. Stumped on how to connect Paradigm PW2100 sub to vintage McIntosh MC300 amp. Sub has RCA connections, left and right low pass input, left and right high pass output. Amp has only left and right speaker wire connections, positive and negative. Suggestions? Paradigm manual doesn’t address this at all. Thanks!

2. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

The speaker connections of the amp need to be connected to the high level inputs of the sub. I run a tube amp that has both 4 and 8 ohm taps and connect my speakers to the 4 ohm taps and the sub to the 8 ohm taps.

3. tIANcI

tIANcI Wondering when the hifi madness will end

You can't connect the PW2100 to the MC300. The MC 300 does not have a pre/sub out and your PW2100 does not have a high level input.

4. Paul DeLuca

Now I get it, thank you! I guess I’ll use it on the the surround receiver and let the Mac do its thing with the tower speakers. Thanks again!

5. Paul DeLuca

Thank you. Next post clarified that I’m SOL since the sub only has low level input. I appreciate the info, will consider if I get a new sub! Hmm, need to make sure wife doesn’t see that…

6. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

Sounds like a new Rel sub is in the near future :)

Paul DeLuca likes this.
  7. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

There are speaker-level to line-level converters on Amazon. I wouldn't use them myself for fear of degrading the signal but maybe it's a solution?

Paul DeLuca and tIANcI like this.