How to fix tape dropouts in Audacity?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by youraveragevinylcollector, Dec 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. youraveragevinylcollector

youraveragevinylcollector Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've noticed that while transferring a tape to digital 24/96, I noticed that on one song there were multiple complete dropouts for less than the blink of an eye. About 7 in the beginning of the song. And they are just flatout annoying. I was wondering if I could zoom in very far in Audacity and Repair or NR these dropouts. Or is there no fix and I am wasting my time?

2. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

Sounds like there was a pause when the CPU was momentarily burping, yes you can zoom right into the line, and delete it. If I'm right you'll never hear anything missing because it paused while recording briefly, then picked up recording again so you are not deleting anything but the pause.

3. youraveragevinylcollector

I was talking about literal dropouts on the cassette. Sorry for the confusion. Also, on the same tape, I've got crosstalk in the silences. I've never had that tape deck do that before.

4. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

AH, no,. I wish there was a plugin to do that but if there is I have yet to find it. Tape dropouts aren't repairable in Audacity anyway that I know of, it would be great to be wrong, as that was always a transfering music annoyance, especially with cassettes. Good luck.

5. youraveragevinylcollector

If only Capstan had a free 2 week trial...

6. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

If you could pony up some cash for iZotope RX 5 Audio Editor, it will fix your problem digitally.
    https://www.izotope.com/en/products/audio-repair/rx/

7. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

Sometimes the dropout will be in only one channel. You can then mix the good channel into the dropout channel. The brief moment of mono won't be noticed. Sometimes you can delete the dropout without it being too obtrusive, a few milliseconds won't be too glaring.

Mister Charlie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.