How to repair EAC? And how to recover damaged CDs?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Cafe Jeff, Feb 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cafe Jeff

Cafe Jeff Guest Thread Starter

I tried it again.
    EAC burns on the HP.
    It will not rip either the OEM or the HP.
    Nero won't either.
    Music Match can make MP3s from anything I throw at it.
    I wanna new computer.

2. Cafe Jeff

OK Gentlemen,
    I am losing it.
    Yesterday I made a dupe of a CD and then played it on the upstairs system. Did it ever sound awful. I checked cables, which I had switched. I swapped tubes. I switched pre-amps. Turned out it was the CD that I had made. Both drives appear to now sound and work wonkily. Is there a way to reinstall all the drivers to get them to work again WITHOUT having to tear down the whole system? Jeff

3. krabapple

krabapple New Member

I was gonna ask if the original poster had gone through these steps -- EAC offers a nice set of diagnostic user interfaces to 'optimize' the program for a particular drive. He can also adjsut the level of error correction that goes on -- in a Raffi disc I doubt the kid will care if its' less that bit-perfect. For example, he could try 'burst mode'.

As for scratches on the label side, I wonder if anyone has ever tried metallic silver paint to cover it? Obviously if the scratch actually ripped the metallic layer that data is toast, but I'm jsut wondering if the scratch is small enough, perhaps silver paint + data interpolation could possibly work?

4. Cafe Jeff

Hi,
    I have not tried EAC's diagnostics. Although I had thought I have been around the menus, I must have missed these. I will try them anon when I get home. As to Raffi, my 18 month child can already identify correct absolute phase. I have, however, to get him off Ebay buying all those NOS Globe 45s. Jeff

5. krabapple

krabapple New Member

LOL.

As regards the diagnostics, I think it's called 'drive settings' or somesuch in one of the pulldown menues -- it will run a series of tests on your drive , and all you have to do is hit 'apply' at each window to set the proper results as defaults.,, You'll need a blank disc, and a music CD to run the tests.

Nopte that if you mouse-over various parts of each window, there are pop-up explanations of each option -- very handy.

6. Cafe Jeff

Thanks.
    I'll check that out. And I finally had things going so well. Jeff

7. Mattb

Mattb Senior Member

How did you make out Jeff? Are you able to use EAC now?

8. Cafe Jeff

Hi Guys,
    Thanks for all the amazing help. I am wit's end with these drives and am going to reinstall the whole OS. Nothing, aside from Musicmatch works. I will have some time off from work as my wife was told by the Dr. that she will go into labour in the next 24 hours!
    Jeff

9. Mattb

Mattb Senior Member

Good luck and congrats!

10. Cafe Jeff

Good luck with the reinstall?
    Or congrats on the kid?
    Anyway MB, thanks for the help.

11. Mattb

Mattb Senior Member

Both! :D