How To Start Off In DIgital?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by haz2000, May 11, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

They can handle 24/48 from Qobuz. I don't know about Amazon since I'm not a subscriber.

This is correct. I also have a Sonos ARC sound bar integrated with my TV and Sony 800 4k player. Sonos won't pass through either the DSD layer from SACD or the hi-res layers from a DVD-A. By setting the 4K player to play the DVD-V layer I can at least access the surround mixes from the DVD-A disc.

With regard to the Port, I have the Connect (its predecessor), but needed to connect it to a better DAC as the internal one is crap.

While it sounds like I'm downing the brand because of these limitations I'm really a satisfied owner because the ease of use is off the charts, which is important for others in your home that love music but hate technology. You just need to be aware of what the system can and can't do before purchasing.

wolfram likes this.
  2. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Which is??? (Your profile is empty). I know you said you weren't interested in a wireless solution-is that due to losses/sound quality? Various systems like Apple Music via AirPlay can stream lossless via a wireless controller like an iPhone or iPad. I've done that USB thing but it's really limiting compared to streaming the massive libraries from Spotify etc. Apple Music lets you upload your own stuff which is not on their service; I'm not sure about the other competitors. I'm using an AirPlay receiver which acts directly as the streamer from WiFi or Ethernet. The iPhone just tells it what to do.

3. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

No way !

timind and Rolltide like this.
  4. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

0's and 1's is a good way to start

5. Dirty Bertie

Dirty Bertie Man with golden helmet, drinks water from a faucet

This thread is why I can't get started on proper digital playback and have stuck with vinyl, CDs and basic streaming (it's the modern radio!). Gets too confusing and expensive too fast. Probably why I chickened out on buying a dac recently and got a cartridge instead :laugh:

6. Donivey

Donivey Forum Resident

It doesn't have to be too complicated. Just get a Bluesound Node, subscribe to a streaming service, and you're there. Plenty of help here if you get stuck.

7. haz2000

haz2000 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm leaning towards this and then streaming my files from a computer. It looks to be the standard now. I've read that the Node doesn't like 5G. I don't know if that's a big deal but it doesn't seem to be.

punkmusick likes this.
  8. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

I have a Vault2 and two Node2. If you can afford it, just get the Vault2. Plug n play. The Vault requires a wired connection. I use Extollo 1500 powerline adapters. Work great, good cs if you need it.
    With the Node, you can use wifi, but you either have to have a computer involved or attach usb drive to play local files, more PITA factor. The BluOS works pretty will also.

timind likes this.
  9. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Yup, that's the only downside I know of.
    I have a HD (2tb) in a powered USB enclosure attached to a Node and it just takes a few minutes every time I switch it on.
    There is no power on/of switch on the Node so I have that and the HD plugged into a power strip, when I'm done I stop play, close the app and then switch the power strip off, the Node is plugged into my dac.

I don't have a ton of content yet, maybe a terabyte of 24/88.2 nedledrops and a couple gigs of cd rips, and I periodically attach the HD to my computer to upload more files, there is backup via other HDs.

It works great.

timind likes this.
  10. EliF

EliF Forum Resident

I have a BlueSound Node and a Cambridge CXN v2 streamer (used in separate rooms with separate systems). Streaming from a service like Qobuz or Tidal, etc. is then super simple. I do rip my CDs and place the FLAC files onto a Western Digital MyCloud hard drive and plug the drive into my modem. Both streamers can then play those files easily (once you direct them to the right place). I also use Roon and it will monitor places where you add music to your digital library. You can then easily select the device where you want to stream your music and assess the quality of the stream.

11. haz2000

Wireless sounds like sorcery!

I don't have any wireless devices unless you count my phone and a laptop. I don't have Siri, or anything you can talk to that does things around your home. I'm scared that I will buy something and have no clue what to do but I don't want to be a technophobe!

The Vault sounds interesting. They will be available locally at the start of June.

Bluesound products are so loved that I feel it would make a safe introduction for me. I was tempted to go and buy something $$$ but I figure it's better to ease into this new format.

12. haz2000

When powering down, do you have to do anything special? When an external is connected to a PC it tells you when it's safe to remove. Is there anything similar with the Node?

13. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

The HD enclosure has a blinking light for activity. When the play is stopped and the app is closed the HD light is dormant, that's when I switch it all off, so far this seems to work fine.

14. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

A possible workaround for this is to plug your USB drive into your router if it has that capability. The Node will then treat it as "network-attached" storage.

ubiknik likes this.
  15. EliF

EliF Forum Resident

Yes, depending on the hard drive, this will work well. It is also possible then to add music files to that drive via the network. For me, this is the ideal option.

As well, the great thing about Roon is that it will give you a central place to manage your music (but it does require extra investment and set up). BTW, Roon will also stream to Sonos devices if you have them,

16. somnar

somnar Senior Member

I run a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (USB) from my computer to the RCA aux inputs on my integrated. This allows me to either play files that live on my PC or stream content from the internet.

Works great and costs very little.

Ro-Go and Brother_Rael like this.
  17. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Yeah my router has this option, and I had originally intended to use it that way and may still.

The only concern I have about doing that is that the HD would be basically on 24/7 unless I keep it accessible to switch the power switch off on the HD enclosure.

18. Calvin_and_Hobbes

Calvin_and_Hobbes Music Lover

If you expect to go to a better quality external DAC down the road, an slightly more expensive alternative to a Bluesound Node is a Pro-ject Stream Box S2 Ultra. I've got a USB stick plugged into mine right now with 128 GB of music.

The Pro-ject streamer does not have a built in DAC, but one option is to get a Audioquest Dragonfly (Black, Red or Cobalt) and plug that into the USB output along with a 3.5mm to RCA cable to connect to your amplifier.

19. PhotoMax

PhotoMax Forum Resident

I would visit a good hi fi store or two. Listen to high end gear, just to get an idea of what digital is capable of, even if it is way out of your planned budget. Then using that listening experience start trying to audition kit at lower price points. Ask questions. Take your time and learn…

20. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

[​IMG] I got the Wiim Mini for a hundo . Small and works great

timind and Brother_Rael like this.
  21. Cherrycherry

Cherrycherry Forum Resident

I would suggest you take a look at DAC32, if your computer is connected to a router and you have wireless in your home.
    DAC32 low-cost high performance music streamer
    Not much to build here. With a little more computer comfort level, a RaspberryPi PiCorePlayer might be for you.
    You won't need a big fancy DAC starting out, and these sound good.
    DAC32: A New Squeezebox Alternative From Germany

22. Lenny99

Lenny99 The truth sets you free.

Yes, I purchased the 303 about a month ago. Indeed, it seems to fit your stated needs.

I can attest, on my system, it produces a great sound when I use a CD. I'm primarily a vinyl guy, but I have a lot if CDs I burned years ago. This player brought them to life.

I've not used the USB input.

23. haz2000

I've made a step forward. I am able to share files from my router. I read up-thread that this was possible and saw that my router had two USB ports. I plugged in some HDDs and after some messing around it looks to be working!

Now having done this, do I just need to buy a Node? Am I good to go?

Thanks!

Toneh likes this.
  24. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I just plug my laptop to my DAC via USB and the DAC to the amplifier, simple set up and sounds great.

somnar likes this.
  25. Pat the Cat

Pat the Cat Musical Goldminer

I get the impression that you would like to keep things simple to start, so I'm just talking wires here. Your idea of a CD player with a USB input (and maybe streaming capable as well) is not bad and the Technics you mentioned looks like a good player. My impression is that digital sound made a significant quality jump within the last 10 years or so and there are many well-reviewed players around (Rotel, Marantz, Cambridge, Pro-Ject, etc.).

Alternatively, you could consider upgrading your computer by using it as a source going into an outboard DAC (the digital to analog chips in computers don't have a reputation for high quality music repro). That could be separate from your main stereo or you could look for a DAC with RCA connections in case you want to add it into the system.

somnar likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.