How To Start Off In DIgital?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by haz2000, May 11, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

Sounds very much like it to me? You'll need the BlueOS app on your phone or tablet (or both) to make it all go and once you've got the NODE home and plugged it into your router - I'm assuming you'll have a spare port for this purpose? - just follow the on screen prompts in the app and you should be up and running in very little time at all.

Let us know how you get on once you have it please :)

haz2000 likes this.
  2. Roger P

Roger P Forum Resident

This^
    The Node is a great piece for the money, if you have the money it is worth every penny.
    It is just that efficient,amazing actually.

timind likes this.
  3. mds

mds Forum Resident

Based on the equipment you mention it appears that you are far from a CD based system and certainly now is probably not the time to begin. From your list it sounds like streaming high quality digital files would be a great entry point and the Bluesound Node N130 (2021) might be a great way for you to start. This piece of equipment is very easy to set up, you can stream from music services such as Tidal or Qobuz along with many others. In addition you can stream from your own digital library that may be on your PC, portable hard drives or thumb drives. I believe they recommend streaming through a network connection however if this is not available there are other options such as using a thumb drive but that mode will limit how many files can be streamed although I doubt you will come near that limit.

The one benefit to this unit is it's HDMI input. If your system is located near your TV you can easily connect your TV to your stereo system. To me this is a big deal and one of its many selling points and a big one at that.

To conclude, the Bluesound array of equipment is designed nicely, is extremely easy to set up, are extremely flexible, provides everything one would need to set up a decent system (depending of the pieces you purchase) and are built to a very high standard, particularly when you think of their affordable price points.

Last edited: May 14, 2022
  4. mds

mds Forum Resident

How does the Bluesound Node compare in terms of sound quality to the Cambridge? I realize if the Bluesound Node's DAC is not satisfactory one can direct it to use another DAC of a quality that appeals more, but it would be nice not to have to use another DAC.

innocent_bystander likes this.
  5. haz2000

haz2000 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I downloaded BlueOS to my computer. Haven't put it on my phone yet. I have an iPhone but I only use it for texting and calls. I checked my email on it a couple of times.

Does the Node need to be plugged into my router or will it find my files wirelessly?

Thanks!

mds likes this.
  6. mds

mds Forum Resident

Really looking forward to hearing how this unit works out for you. I am particularly interested in how well it connects with the TV through the HDMI connection and if the lips are in sync with the sound and how did you find the DAC's sound quality.

7. Donivey

Donivey Forum Resident

I, personally, would always use a hardwire connection rather than wifi. Much more stable.

8. innocent_bystander

innocent_bystander Forum Resident

which one do you prefer or sounds best?

9. haz2000

I've never thought about connecting this to the TV. Might give it a try!

My motivation for going digital is different than some.

I buy a lot of indy releases from obscure genres. Some of them have two options - Analog tape and digital download. I have no intention of getting my old tape deck up and running, so I figure FLAC downloads are my best option. I don't think I would ever subscribe to any streaming service. Maybe one day, but my main thing is trying to get $$$ into the hands of artists I like through donations and then getting some music to play on my stereo as opposed to my computer.

This is a cool album but I can't handle a tape. I'm analog but not THAT analog I guess!

Mediumistic Methodology, by Devin Brahja Waldman & Hamid Drake

Thanks!

Toneh likes this.
  10. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

I'd say get it on your phone assuming your phone is linked onto your home network already anyway? During set up I seem to recall that there are several prompts requiring various user inputs to be done to complete set-up. Thankfully (from my experience) this is a one-and-done process, but I'd say this is more easily done with your phone in your hand than running back and forth to your computer (assuming you mean a desktop?...ignore if you meant laptop). Also your phone will likely be your primary control device for the NODE in day to day operation.

As for the NODE "finding your files wirelessly" I assume you will have to manually point the player at your attached storage so it knows where to retrieve files from. This may be helpful https://support1.bluesound.com/hc/e...y-NAS-PC-or-iTunes-Shared-Music-to-Bluesound-

Just remember if it all gets a bit hard you still have the option to simply plug the USB drive into the NODE itself... then there's zero set-up required assuming the drive is formatted to the recognized standards - just open the app and navigate to (what I remember showed up in the source index as) "USB" and browse away through whatever music you've got stored. The better organized those music files are the easier your browsing experience will be.

jfeldt likes this.
  11. Cherrycherry

Cherrycherry Forum Resident

12. EliF

EliF Forum Resident

After using both with the same equipment, I preferred the sound of the Cambridge CXN v2. I still use the Bluesound Node in my basement system. That said, the two are not that far apart and the CXN v2 is quite a bit more expensive.

13. EliF

EliF Forum Resident

The Node doesn't need to be plugged into the router, though it may work faster that way. You will need to direct the Node to the folder containing your music files on your network using the Bluos app (prefer to use it on my phone) - go to "Settings" then "Music Library" then "Network Shares".

14. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

You apparently own a computer. Route the 3.5mm out of its sound device (whichever it might be) to a free analogue input of your stereo amp using a 3.5mm jack to RCA adapter cable. Any music file played on your computer will now go through your stereo amp instead. That is the most straightforward way.

Of course there are other options, they depend on what you want, what hardware you already own, and how much you want to spend.

Rodant Kapoor likes this.
  15. timind

timind phorum rezident

While maybe not as dedicated as you, I feel the same way about paying artists for their work. But man, streaming has opened a wide window to new music for me. If you get a streamer, you really ought to sign up for a free trial with something like Qubuz. I checked Qubuz for the music you referenced above but didn't find it, ten I noticed it's not yet released. Hope I remember to check on it in a month.

Toneh likes this.
  16. haz2000

Well, I bought a Node!

I am still playing with it, but my impressions are very positive. It sounds much better than I remember CD sounding on my JVC player from 1998.

There are MANY settings on the Node. I wouldn't say that it has a steep learning curve but there is a lot to discover.

I'm playing things from the HDD of my PC to the Node with ease. No wires. Very easy. The app is cool. I have it on my PC desktop and on my phone.

I see this opening a whole new world of music to me. Things that are Cassette and Digital Download only. Needle drops of rare albums whose masters are long lost. This definitely has a place/purpose. How it compares to analog is another discussion but, for me, this is the way to go for music that lacks a vinyl release. For artists just establishing themselves, vinyl is cost-prohibitive. With the Node, I can now enjoy these releases with ease.

Just about the build quality - It's not a 1200G. It's not a 100-pound power amp but it's not junk either. In the photos, it looks like a toy but it's more than that. It is simple and solid enough with a very responsive touch screen. It's worth the money and a worthwhile entry to this digital playback thing.

I can see myself enjoying this for a while. :)

Thanks!

17. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

As an ex-DJ with a life-long love affair with Technics turntables may I just say - few things are built like a 1200. Other than tanks... and bunkers maybe :laugh:

Other than that - what can I say other than I'm very happy this has worked out well for you! Sounds like you're up for exploring the new possibilities that the device affords you. More power to you and enjoy!

haz2000 likes this.
  18. innocent_bystander

innocent_bystander Forum Resident

i’ve been eying for a streamer for the longest time. Looks the node is your bang for the buck streamer.

haz2000 likes this.
  19. Dirty Bertie

Dirty Bertie Man with golden helmet, drinks water from a faucet

As does vinyl playback at times! The joys of this hobby hey :laugh:

haz2000 likes this.
  20. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

Get a Tidal HIFI subscription and you are all set! Enjoy the music.

Toneh likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.