How Would You Handle a Damaged Vinyl Boxed Set?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by StevenC, Dec 3, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StevenC

StevenC SUEDE > Both Oasis AND Blur. Thread Starter

So, I am a huge David Bowie fan and love his 90s output more than most.

So I bought this massive 18 LP box set and after tax it was $400.00 from Amazon.

The boxed set was packed VERY well, with Styrofoam designed to protect the box, etc.

The box arrived fine.
    The vinyl records are great.
    One of the sleeves, though, from the album "EARTHLING", is MANGLED... like it was forced in the box from the manufacturer.

For $400, you don't want anything damaged.

Feels like it's not Amazon's fault. How would I contact Parlophone?
    Not sure how to handle it.

Thanks in advance for your insight.

misteranderson likes this.
  2. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

Contact Amazon and they may be able to ship you a new sleeve, or copy of just that album. I doubt contacting Parlaphone will get you anywhere.

Lost In The Flood and khanrahan like this.
  3. hitmanhart408

hitmanhart408 Forum Resident

it's amazon.. you can return anything for any reason (as long as you don't abuse the privilege). So I would request an exchange. Amazon sucks but it's one of the reasons I use them sometimes because it's hassle free. They'll even ship out the new one before you even mail the damaged one back.

4. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

If I couldn't live with it I'd go through the return process with Amazon or if I could live with it, complain a little and try to go down the route of accepting a nominal part refund...

tmtomh likes this.
  5. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

It’s worth pursuing. I’d take it up with the label. I agree it’s not Amazon’s fault.

6. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

I would request an exchange. Amz will knock 15-20% off when they receive it back into inventory and list it as a used Amazon Warehouse deal.

7. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

You bought it on Amazon. They've probably made a lot of money off you in the past 25 years. They have no problem with an exchange. Just do it. There is a lot of people who dismiss Amazon as the Big Fish gobbling up the little guys. But Amazon built it's business to the size it is now because of their service. They were a small bookseller who figured out selling books is no different than selling anything else. Regardless of their current reputation, you aren't going to see many people cancel their Prime memberships. It's a good company. I'm not going to say they "care" anymore. But they know how to keep customers. And 2 day replacements and free return shipping with a 30 day window is an Amazon policy nobody complains about.

8. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

I'll echo the other posters- Amazon has an excellent exchange policy. Much easier than dealing with an eBay or Facebook Marketplace transaction.

9. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Get pix...including the undamaged box. If it was their fault they packed a damaged item, they should be made aware of that.

"This is the product you sent me. This is the box that showed no damage. How could you let that happen."...sort of thing.

10. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Go Amazon.

11. hitmanhart408

hitmanhart408 Forum Resident

I've had them give me a full refund 6 months later

12. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I’d probably handle it a lot better than the gorillas that packaged it!

Neonbeam likes this.
  13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

return it to Amazon...they're covered.

14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

how did you pull that off?

15. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Amazon without question. Why contact the label?

16. NekoM

NekoM Seriously not serious.

I’d suggest Amazon, i have an issue right now with a Rhino/Warner pressing. and they keep telling me they’re escalating it. Which is a new corporate word for filing in the trash.

17. StevenC

StevenC SUEDE > Both Oasis AND Blur. Thread Starter

Amazon is sending a new one and a allowing me to return the old one...
    Amazon had nothing to do with it. They pack it very, very, very well. The Earthling album was forcefully shoved into the box and destroyed the sleeve... This happened at the manufacturer....

tmtomh and SJP like this.
  18. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

You did the right thing.

Amazon should take it up with the manufacturer but I doubt they will. Hope you enjoy the Bowie vinyl box. For this period I'll be happy with the CD version but I'm sure there are a lot of fans who were awaiting these albums on vinyl. Besides, being a completist cannot get the best of me because I'm not paying stupid money for the Five Years vinyl box! I have the next three and rest assured that if I did have Five Years on vinyl, Brilliant Adventures would be mine in a heartbeat.

19. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Major record labels are rarely set to deal with individuals. There have been exceptions (e.g. the reissue labels attached to the majors--Rhino, Legacy, etc.), but fewer as time has gone on.

Most likely, you'll wind up having to deal with Amazon. And they will unquestionably tell you to ship the whole thing back--with a ding to your return metrics. It sucks, but it's how it goes.

20. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Yup, probably won't. I know there's at least one company buying up their music related physical item returns and reselling them in the marketplace.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.