How's the current Cheap Thrills CD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Damián, Feb 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

Hi everyone

I saw this some time back as an import on a local store and was wondering about it. I did a search but couldn't find much.

It's the one with I believe four extra tracks (but I wouldn't know as I've never had any other copy). Those should be Road Block, Flower in the Sun, Catch Me Daddy and Magic of Love.

I noticed a couple of the threads were about some SACD deal.. this one didn't have any SACD logos on it that I could see. It's probably just a plain ol' CD.

I believe I caught a mastering credit, but I forget by whom- Bob Irwin perhaps? :confused: In any case, I'd appreciate any guidance as I'm more than curious about this album by now.

I also saw the Essential Janis set, and it seemed to be very competitively-priced with regards to this one. I usually avoid comps, as I prefer to get an artist's original albums, but should I consider this one for any particular reason?

Thanks!

2. lennonfan

lennonfan New Member

I think it's a tad bright compared to the original vinyl but it's fine. The m/ch mix leaves a lot to be desired but does open up new detail on that disc, but the one you refer to is also part of the Box Of Pearls.

3. Damián

Thanks. This one was a regular CD as far as I could see, so I don't think there'd be a multichannel mix on it.

4. lennonfan

lennonfan New Member

sorry i wasn't more clear....the m/ch is an sacd.
    you also get the extended ending on Piece of my heart.
    the cd w/bonus tracks is what I referred to when I said it was a tad bright to my ears but fine overall.

5. BITBANGER

BITBANGER Senior Member

The original 7ips issue on reel to reel blows away every other version I've heard.

6. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Really? I think that this is one of the most successful MC mixes EVER. Puts you right there in The Fillmore with them (quite an accomplishment, since much of the live stuff is fake anyway). It is incredibly exciting, and is one of my 5.1 demos for friends. It never fails to lower jaws!

7. Mister Kite

Mister Kite Uncle Obscure

I agree with Larry on this one. I picked it up during the recent SonyMusic Store sale and I was pleasantly surprised by the sound on this one. A very enveloping MC mix. :thumbsup:

8. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

I'd have to agree with you Larry. I heard the 5.1 at a friends house and its astonishing. It's very good on my two channel system - but dramatically better on 5.1. Makes me want to upgrade....

9. dwmann

dwmann Well-Known Member

Haven't heard th Cd you mention, but the SACD is one of the first SACDs I bought. The SACD has the best 2 channel sound of any version of this disc I've heard. The MC mix is excellent - one of the few MC mixes I can stand to listen to. No drums beating behind your head on this one. A real winner all around, in my book.

10. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I also agree. I really like the MC mix. Puts you there.

11. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Happy Audiophile

I'm a big fan of the multichannel mix on the SACD. The best example of hall ambience on a rock SACD that I can think of. Don't expect the detail of a top notch studio recording, however.

12. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

thanks to everyone for convincing me about the SACD as I was weondering.

But Damián is asking about the redbook...

13. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Best version until the SACD came along.

14. David Powell

David Powell Well-Known Member

Didn't Sony get Elliott Mazer to do the multichannel mix? I keep meaning to get the SACD before it disappears.

15. lennonfan

lennonfan New Member

hmm..well, I don't see it that way.
    I think on most tracks it was the wrong approach and sounds -too- ambient making the essential recording weak sounding with too much echo. A folded back stereo mix is more powerful IMO. it works on Turtle Blues but is totally wrong on the studio cuts and the 'faked' live cuts (1 and 2) would sound better more immersive...but I'm not one for ambient rears anyway, I like to be in the center of a psych mix rather than a spectator peering in, which is the approach they went for.

16. Damián

17. Damián

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.