Huge new 35 CD John Mayall box set, "The First Generation 1965-1974"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Galactus, Oct 30, 2020.

1. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Good to know, I do not like outfits that hammer the card immediately, pre-authorization is the way to go. Thanks for the replies guys.

2. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

I think he made a lot of very good blues albums in the second half of his career. He continued to feature great guitarists like Coco Montoya, Water Trout, Buddy Whittington or nowadays Carolyn Wonderland, and retained his vocal qualities for a long time - nowadays the voice is a bit diminished but for somebody who just turns 87 today it's unreal how good his gigs still are (I saw him last year, the rhythm section was thunderous).

Anyway, I left this comment over on SDE about the box set.

[...]I've slowly been building a collection and have about a third of the regular albums contained here - I'd certainly envisioned adding the ones I didn't have yet.

Obviously, if this were a simple kind of clamshell box, I'd be all over this. Signed or not.

But with what this set is, I'm torn; I don't really need all the non-musical extra material, and the CD singles are a waste of plastic IMO. You could still produce a "replica" cardboard for each of those singles and include the songs as normal bonus tracks, or, at the very least, compile the three into one CD (which would still be a measly 25 minutes). (CDs 31 and 34 are pretty damn short too.)

And speaking of singles, it's a bit unfortunate that the two parts of "Suspicions" are not compiled as to flow together (Pt. 1 is on "Thru the Years", Pt. 2 on "Looking Back").

As has been said, it's odd that only the EC album is included with its mono mix too. It seems that, for the most part, the compilers couldn't really be bothered to make an effort to be comprehensive with regards to the original releases. "On Top of the World" missing (not the BBC version) is quite odd.

What Mayall really needs and deserves, IMO, is proper 2CD and 3CD deluxe editions of all his albums.

3. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Anybody anxious in getting their set? The release date is approaching.

4. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Anxious no , Excited Yes,

Hopefully in time for my birthday

RiRiIII likes this.
  5. Bossyman

Bossyman Forum Resident

Has it been released yet?

6. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

Jesus, I had to open this thread...

Ridiculous shipping price, but I ordered it anyway.

:doh:

JulesRules and Juggsnelson like this.
  7. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

no. Jan 29 or Feb 5.

8. The Lew

The Lew Senior Member

Ordered it last night. Looks like 5th Feb.

JulesRules likes this.
  9. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

10. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

Great article, and also some good comments (and some not so good ones...)

11. ironbutterfly

ironbutterfly Listening to marky mark in mono

Nothing about you! You either rebuy it again or do without. Any fan of most bands have bought stuff they already have to get more of the stuff they don’t

12. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

In the old days this would have been an instant buy, but I’ll pass:cheers:

blueslover99, wgriel and JulesRules like this.
  13. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I"m ambivalent about this set, but I am waiting for reviews after other people get it.

14. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

I imagine that, in the interest of 1965-1974 authenticity, we’ll have to do without John Tracy’s informative and idiosyncratic (and rather enjoyable) sleeve notes on the Decca/London releases...

Buddybud likes this.
  15. This looks similar to the Ian Hunter set to me.

16. I really like John Mayall and I have almost all of his albums, often in more than one form (original CD, remastered CD, vinyl).

I would only be interested in the unreleased stuff, and reading that not all of it will be pristine quality is putting me off a bit. Compare this to the Wishbone Ash box set, which had lots of live material in superb quality.

I am waiting at the moment.

JulesRules likes this.
  17. The Lew

The Lew Senior Member

Arrived this morning.
    [​IMG]

18. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

@The Lew Can please you let us know how the sound is on the live shows and additional BBC sessions? I waited on this to hear about the sound quality of the additional material.

19. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Its a heavy box I have no idea where I will store it that's three Big boxes and one small box in the last month.

JulesRules likes this.
  20. Trainspotting

That's the problem with a lot of box sets I've been purchasing lately. I've taken to just leaning them against the wall on the floor.

Matthew Tate, uzn007 and JulesRules like this.
  21. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Me too!

Matthew Tate and JulesRules like this.
  22. Trainspotting

That ultra deluxe McCartney Flaming Pie box from last year takes the cake though. Ridiculous size...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I have some stacked in the closet as well.

24. Trainspotting

Oh, I've got them everywhere in my apartment. In every closet, bookshelf, floor, etc. That, coupled with the framed psychedelic posters I have on the walls pretty much precludes me from ever meeting a woman for the rest of my life. LOL.

25. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I just ordered this from Popmarket. With 10% off and it already on sale it was about $100.00 off retail shipped.