Human Speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jon1969, Feb 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jon1969

Jon1969 I Like Beer Thread Starter

I've been looking for some speakers recently and basically wound up with a big headache from all the choices. I was looking at bookshelf sized speakers in the 6 1/2" range and up. I was also looking at a lot of vintage speakers in the 8 -10" range (or smaller).

I've put together a system of mostly "Made In USA if possible" components, including interconnects. While doing a Google on "USA Made Speakers" I came across Human Speakers, here is a link to the main site:

Welcome

To make a long story short, I found some that I likes:

Model 81

$540.00 + shipping (which was very reasonable for me)

They sound great (Schiit Modi, Saga, Vidar, FLAC from computer) . I don't have the ears that many here do. I was planning on running a sub with these. Well, I think they sound great without a sub. That will save some $$. The bass is good without any equalization to the source. As far as the construction, I think Huw (The Owner) says they weigh 18 Pounds. They feel like they weigh a bunch more than that. More like 25 Pounds. I didn't weigh them so take it with a grain of salt. They are built like a tank and they are finished well (black or oak vinyl).

Sounds like Huw is a one man shop, so I would inquire about the shipping date before ordering if you are in a hurry.

They look like some old brand new vintage 70's speakers which is exactly what I wanted. Here are some pics. Please don't vomit when you see the bar stool speaker stands. It's all I have for now.

I wanted something different and I got it and like it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

They're in their own League....

but seriously @Helom mentioned these and they look like very cool EPI updates and I bet they sound excellent!

3. hbucker

hbucker Forum Resident

Can only imagine how good they sound. I am a big fan of the EPI 100 speakers that inspired these and have restored a pair that I currently use. Very rock solid speakers.

Congrats!

bhazen and Gramps Tom like this.
  4. Helom

Helom Forum member

The refoamed EPI 100s I picked up for $80 are probably the best bang-for-the-buck I've experienced among speakers. Even if the Humans were not an upgrade sonically, they'd be a great bargain in today's market. It's really incredible that one can get made-in-America speakers, ones with custom drivers, for only $540.

bhazen and Gramps Tom like this.
  5. Jon1969

I researched the EPI 100 speakers before I ordered these. I could not find a bad thing about them even though it was an economically priced speaker and a best buy according to Consumer Reports.

I was really wanting some vintage speakers, but the more I thought about it the less I liked that idea. Problems can crop up with a 40-50 year old speaker especially one sitting in someones basement for 20 years. As soon as I looked at these with the 8" woofers, I was sold. Just the right size between a 6 1/2" bookshelf and a 10" old school speaker like the Avids I had in the old days.

head_unit and Gramps Tom like this.
  6. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

How much was shipping?

7. Jon1969

596.00 Total NH to MO

timind likes this.
  8. Guth

Guth Music Lover

Good stuff! I remember reading about Human speakers many years ago. I thought that the owner of the company had previously been involved with another speaker manufacturer (or maybe more than one) such as Genesis or EPI.

Frederic E DuBuron and bhazen like this.
  9. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Both, I think.

Incredible value for money (I've owned a pair of 81s that looked just like the OP's.) They sound better than EPI 100s, in my opinion.

10. Gramps Tom

Gramps Tom Forum Resident

My original EPI 100's from 1973.....Still in operation and sounding excellent.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I'm glad to hear the HUMAN speakers sound as great as they appear. I might save my allowance and try a pr....

11. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

$596 was your all in price? So $56 shipping?

12. Jon1969

Correct, shipped in one big cardboard box in the brown truck.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  13. Jon1969

Always enjoy seeing vintage speakers, They pop up on Craigslist around here all the time.

Half of them have that 1970 flower pot stain on the top!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  14. StimpyWan

StimpyWan Forum Resident

Human Speakers is a great company. Huw offers repair services for EPI and Genesis speakers. He also sells upgrades. Every thing to get vintage speakers playing again, and new versions, if vintage isn't your thing?

danomar and Gramps Tom like this.
  15. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

The InHUMANs are more to my liking, although I'd probably have to go with the reinforced concrete version for budget reasons.

Don't know anything about his speakers, but Huw gets a solid A+ for his sense of huwmour!

Jeff

16. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

Gramps Tom likes this.
  17. Gramps Tom

Gramps Tom Forum Resident

There's a penalty flag on that play for Cruelty to Walnut: 15 yards from the spot of the foul.....

Juan Matus likes this.
  18. waterclocker

waterclocker Forum Resident

I started my vinyl collection playing with vintage EPI100W and T/E 100. They could really rock out with the Pioneer SX-880 I was using at the time. Unfortunately one of the tweeters on the 100w started buzzing and I tried the Human replacement, it changed the sound profile though. I have better speakers now, but they were a great start and very inexpensive.

19. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

The Silent Speaker II looks intriguing. Anyone ever heard them?

20. danomar

danomar My spoon is too big.

Huw makes good stuff. He appreciates sound as as much as craftsmanship. Most EPI/Epicure speakers were very good in their day and Huw is keeping that flame alight.

Gramps Tom likes this.
  21. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Innocent Bystander

Two gratuitous factoids:

Focal's Jacques Mahul got the idea for the inverted dome tweeter from EPi.

As far as the current Human line, I've heard he builds the tweeters but sources the woofer from....I dunno.

22. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

He makes both.

23. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

I'd like to. I've read that they're a Shahinian-killer (much less expensive than the equivalent 2-way they make.)

timind likes this.
  24. Mortsnets

Mortsnets Forum Resident

Never heard them but I've been interested since reading this review:
    Direct Acoustics Silent Speaker II

25. Wes_in_va

Wes_in_va Trying to live up to my dog’s expectations

I haven’t heard an EPI/Epicure/Genesis yet that I didn’t thoroughly enjoy.
    Those look great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.