Humor him!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ted Bell, Mar 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ted Bell

Ted Bell Forum Dentist Thread Starter

This guy may really know what he's talking about...

I know he described his own postings as pretentious-arrogant may be another word which might apply. It was with some mixed emotion that I called him to place an order. I was curious to see whether or not he's the real deal.

Tom was very friendly on the phone, though it was obvious that he doesn't take as much care in choosing his phone equipment as he does his stereo-it sounded like he was speaking underwater. He was not at all pushy and gave me advice for things he didn't even sell. I ordered the disc doctor stuff from him to use with my VPI 16.5. It is so far superior to the stock brush and fluid I was using that it isn't even funny. A solid recommendation.

As far as the software, the Crime of the Century spoken about here is far better than I have ever heard it before (maybe if I unplug the microwave downstairs it will be even better).I also purchased his recommmended Nights in White Satin. Sounds great and quiet even in those soft passages. I still have 2 other LPs in the order I haven't listened to yet-can't wait!

Jay N.

2. Humorem

Humorem New Member

Jay is right.

Everything you say is true, Jay. You are obviously a very discerning and gifted individual. My hat is off to you.

And as for that free stuff I was going to give you, you know, the stuff we talked about, wink wink nudge nudge, it's on its way! Love that part about being friendly on the phone. You added that on your own I see, but I think it works: I even bought it!

TP:eek:

3. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

And aside from all that - I actually bowed out of my Saturday afternoon listening session this weekend, there was a strange shrillness on the vocals in my system, and I was playing the original double MCA CD of Tommy - kind of a muffled disc by most standards - never noticed thar shrillness before. Now that it's Sunday night I am spinning Split Enz True Colors on laser etched vinyl and all seems fine.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm................

4. Humorem

Humorem New Member

Seeds of discontent are bearing fruit. My nefarious plan is working...

Hey Al,

Sorry about that, man. You want a battery inverter?

BTW: How do you get all those oranges (or whatever they are) in your mouth at once? That is a neat trick!

TP:D

5. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

Well Tom - you should apologize. I used to be happy on weekends. Now all has gone to hell. I am not ready to admit to a pattern - and I hope that I am not going to fall into a preprogrammed reaction, but I fear that on every Saturday I be listening with a more critical ear. For that alone you should be sorry.

6. Humorem

Humorem New Member

Look on the bright side. Maybe you'll find something more fun to do next Saturday. It's a thought. Sorry, man.

I changed my Avatar for the occasion.
    TP

7. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

Is your new avatar in honor of me? It looks a lot more like me than my own does................

8. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

Hard-core Stones fans should have no trouble recognizing Uncle Al's avatar.

...It's from the cover of "Exile On Main Street", right?:D

10. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

And to me, too. I spent some frustrating time this weekend trying to figure out which way my speaker wires should be hooked up to get my newly acquired Belafonte at Carnegie Hall LP to sound "more right" !!! (see the original "speaker wires/polarity" thread in the FAQ)

11. Humorem

Humorem New Member

Mea culpa ad infinitum...

I'm sorry, so sorry...

Belafonte? That's an easy one. If it's not you may have some funky phase thing going on in your speaker.

Did you listen for all the things I said to listen for? What did you hear when you switched the wires?

TP

12. Angel

Angel New Member

Re: Mea culpa ad infinitum...

Tom, for heaven's sake, what things? You've written volumes here. This isn't class ya know! :D My note taking days are over.

Either repeat what you said to listen for, or give us a link please. :confused:

13. Humorem

Humorem New Member

Go to the thread called Polarity. It's all there I think.
    TP

14. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

Re: Mea culpa ad infinitum...

Hi Tom,

I certainly did listen for the things you mentioned. I actually printed out your post on the subject and had it in my lap as I listened.

The one thing you'd mentioned that did jump out at me after I reversed the wires was (to quote your original post):

"When you play the record back on an acoustically polarized system, meaning correct polarity ... when Belafonte starts to sing he's a bit oversize. <snip> When you reverse polarity .... most amazing of all, when Belafonte steps up to the mike, his head is now human sized. His voice sounds smoother and fuller, with less annoying zip at the top."

This effect was crystal clear to me. The "less annoying zip" especially; with "correct" polarity, sibilants were much more emphasized, almost to the point of being bothersome.

I didn't hear as much difference in the brass and strings during the intro to the album (some, but not overwhelming), but that could be due to flaws in my system ... But I'm not done listening. I actually look forward to trying the experiment again tonight with fresh ears.

I'm trying, really I am!!! :)

15. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Here's one in color:

[​IMG]

An odd one:
    [​IMG]

One for Larry:

[​IMG]

One for Pat:
    [​IMG]

One for Tom:
    [​IMG]

16. Humorem

Humorem New Member

Re: Re: Mea culpa ad infinitum...

That "zip" is a very clear indication; this probably means your system is hooked up correctly, so that when you reverse it the zip goes away on Belafonte.

Now how is it that MOFI puts that zip on their records and CDs and people like it?

And Hoffman takes it out and people say his stuff is too smooth? These are questions that perplex me no end.

Play Aja on MOFI. Zip zip zippity zippy zip. If Black Cow sounds good (no zip), sell your stereo and buy one that makes Black Cow not sound good (too zippy.) You read it here first.

TP:eek:

And keep up the good work!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.