HUMPHREY BOGART - Fans or Collectors

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Maranatha5585, Jul 29, 2018.

1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

one of my favorite actors I love when he teamed up with Cagney...especially The Roaring Twenties...

Maranatha5585 and longdist01 like this.
  2. Michael

happy to own this!

Maranatha5585 likes this.
  3. Michael

his last film...loved it.

[​IMG]

4. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam Thread Starter

5. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident

Love the movie "CONFLICT"

EVOLVIST, finslaw and Simon A like this.
  6. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

My apologies if I've already mentionned this film in the thread, but I'll admit really enjoying a few early films where Bogart is a supporting actor. These allowed him to play parts other than the heavy. One I like to watch once a year is Stand-In from 1937 starring Leslie Howard and Joan Blondel. The film is a light rom-com set in Hollywood. If you like this sort of romp, I highly recommend it. Luckilly, the film was saved and restored in 2018 after film elements were found by the British Film Institute.

Maranatha5585 and longdist01 like this.
  7. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

I DVR'd this based on your tip, and I just got around to watching it . What a delight! Not so much for Bogie, whose part doesn't call for much, but it was an enjoyable romp. Walter Catlett steals the show as Cousin Gibby and has some snappy lines (handing a lady a drink, "Here you are baby, saturate the bridge work!"), but there are great characters played by Guy Kibbee and Jobyna Howland as well. And when Joan Blondell starts rolling on the craps table, watch out! "Come on you babies, here we go again. Rattle 'n' roll. A little natural and we take the dough. 11 or a 7. 7 or 11. I ain't particular."

Love those brief scenes when Bud arrives in New York with the guy digging up the street and being questioned by the police, and the two guys in a hurry greeting each other.

Thank you for the heads up Maranatha5585, this was immensely enjoyable!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  8. Maranatha5585

Oh yeah :righton: glad you enjoyed that one!

Love Joan :love: all those early ones with Cagney too!

9. Maranatha5585

FYI - HEADS UP!! Friends TCM is playing two fine film noir films right now..

''Crime Wave'' started 20 mins ago ... ''The Killers'' is today at 2:45 Eastern and it's well
    a great one, if your into the film noir genre.

Caught HB in ''Battle Circus'' the other day on TCM - one of the very few Bogie's I'm not really fond off personally.. I can watch HB in anything, but that one was tough.

10. Maranatha5585

The Radio Show! :)

longdist01 and Steve Litos like this.
  11. Maranatha5585

Wow!! Here's a rare unreleased proposed radio show with Bogie!
    Killer diller.. Enjoy! :righton:

Humphrey Bogart ~ "Dead Man"

longdist01, Steve Litos and Simon A like this.
  12. Maranatha5585

13. Maranatha5585

Surprised the radio shows had little interest, or comment.. :crazy:
    I find them engrossing, the help me relax and listen.. hearing how they attempted
    some sound effects was interesting.

Anyway.. I saw an hour long show on TCM over the weekend, the name escapes me.
    It was all behind the scenes, back stage, and rare home videos, appearances.. all taken by
    this guy. He was friends with everyone it seems .. Point- the best part was a Warner Bros.
    1940 promo junket with the full cast of "Virginia City".. Errol Flynn was the big star, and
    Bogie was there with Mayo Methot his wife at the time.. and Bogie starts kissing her, and
    smiling for the fans. Kinda weird. He is wearing the clothes from the set of the film,
    the black shirt.. I guess the guy, whose film it was.. must have been a promo guy, agent, photographer, cause he had full on access most of the time.. Sorry, the name escapes me.

Anyone else see this ? They'll be repeating it for sure..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    longdist01 and MerseyBeatle like this.
  14. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

Just watched "Action In The North Atlantic" for the first time.

I have to say, I was a little underwhelmed. It seemed a little rote, and perhaps a bit of a propaganda film. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I guess they can't all be home runs though. The plot didn't really have many twists and is pretty much straightforward. I'm fascinated by WW2 films that were made while the war was still ongoing, and this certainly qualifies.

Watched via Amazon Prime Video, and the quality was all other the place. Stock footage was rough, but some of the film on the sets looked stellar.

15. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

16. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

I have the Criterion version of that one. Bogie's filmography is so full of high quality pictures (like this one) that I think a lot of them that aren't named "Casablanca" or "The Maltese Falcon" can get lost in the shuffle.

I've probably only seen about 20 of his films, but I look forward to working through as many of them as I can find in time. There are wonderful ones that I've thoroughly enjoyed, and I'll bet there are many more just waiting to be discovered.

905 and Jerry like this.
  17. Maranatha5585

Great! glad you enjoyed it.. It's a very fine example of the genre.
    Bogie is killer-diller, dark, brooding at his complex best.
    Wonderful direction by the great Nick Ray also.. :righton:

longdist01 likes this.
  18. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

Here are two great films I never heard of. I bought them because
    they had Humphrey Bogart in them. "King Of The Underworld"
    & "Stand-In" - The were great! Highly recommended!!!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I love Stand-In. Being a huge Joan Blondell as well as Bogart, it makes me enjoy it even more.

20. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

Yeah, she was great in Big City Blues, a real firecracker. It was halfway through Stand-In that the light bulb went off in my head and I realized, "hey, that's Vi from Grease!". I love moments like that.

At the risk of going off topic, I'd love to hear some more Joan Blondell recommendations, with or without Bogie. Perhaps that's a topic for another thread though.

21. Maranatha5585

All those early Cagney - Blondell films were tops.. Edward G. also! :righton:

longdist01 and Simon A like this.
  22. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Criterion Channel has been very good to me. Last night I watched another Bogie flick that has escaped me. Perfect weekend afternoon viewing.

upload_2020-5-3_17-43-34.jpeg

23. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

The movie Dead End is very good. Pre- Casablanca, Falcon etc. I saw a great print of this but I can't remember when. Huntz Hall and Leo Gorcey are in it.

Simon A, Michael and longdist01 like this.
  24. Michael

I wish I could collect the movies that are still not on Blu-ray...

25. Michael

loved it.
    Dead End (1937 film) - Wikipedia