"Hunter" TV series 2003 reboot starring Fred Dreyer & Stepfanie Kramer

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by melstapler, Jun 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist Thread Starter

[​IMG]
    Fred Dreyer and Stepfanie Kramer reprised their respective roles as Rick Hunter and Dee Dee McCall in 2003 for a reboot. The original TV series ran from 1984-91, although Kramer left before the series ended and was on the show from 1984-90.

In an effort to test interest in reviving the show, NBC commissioned 5 new episodes for broadcast in Spring 2003. Sadly, once the episodes began airing, NBC cancelled the project and only 3 of the 5 filmed episodes were shown. The other two episodes never aired in the U.S. Creative difficulties and budget constraints were cited as the reasons for this new show's unexpected end.

The plot for this series was convenient, yet creative. After moving from Los Angeles to San Diego following the murder of his partner detective while on the job, Rick Hunter reunites with his old partner, Dee Dee McCall.

"Hunter" 2003 TV series intro

The Pinhead likes this.
  2. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I used to watch the original series and enjoyed it.

3. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

Stepfanie Kramer... I think she was hooking up with Paul Stanley back in the day... LOL at the crap I remember!

4. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Same here ! Smashing series.

melstapler likes this.
  5. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

There were some TV movies long after the series were finished if I recall correctly.

melstapler likes this.
  6. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I had no idea they tried a reboot in 2003. The original was definitely a show I enjoyed watching. I haven't seen it since it aired though.

I wonder if it's streaming anywhere. Maybe I'll try and find the DVDs cheap...although for some of these older shows, the DVD prices are still quite high. I had a hankering for some Quincy and I can't find many affordable used or new sets of the dvd releases. I managed a cheap Season 1 and 2 so far and that's about. It doesn't help that I'm in Canada though. Sorry for diverging...

MikeInFla and melstapler like this.
  7. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

They stuck it on Saturday nights. I saw Kramer at the most recent Chiller Theater and I asked her how come they didn't release the reboot with the rest of the series and she told me it was different ownership. Have the reunion movies come out?

melstapler likes this.
  8. Frozensoda

Frozensoda Forum Resident

“Works for me.”

RoyalScam likes this.
  9. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Ditto. Same thing I would have said!

melstapler and eddiel like this.
  10. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

DeeDee got raped so many times on Hunter it went from being tragic to being silly.

And hunter must have killed 1,000 people.

I used to watch the syndicated showings when they aired at 4pm after school.

melstapler likes this.
  11. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

To this day for some odd reason I always remember Dennis Miller on the Weekend Update desk on SNL the night that Andrew 'Dice' Clay controversially hosted and half of the cast protested. He ends a story that got a so-so laugh, looks around and says something along the lines of "Ok....I know what's going on here....there's a weird feeling in this studio.....and I think I know what is.....and it's the fact that everyone is tense.......because Stephanie Kramer left "Hunter", but I'm gonna go on with the show......because Detective Dee Dee McCall would have wanted it that way!"

Simon A, RoyalScam, Lownote30 and 2 others like this.
  12. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I remember Stephanie Kramer talking about that in an interview sometime after she left the show. IIRC they wanted to do another story rape story line with her being the victim and she told them no in not so nice of a way.

EDIT: Found an article about it Stepfanie

Rad Dudeski and melstapler like this.
  13. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

Hunter is on Hulu.

905 likes this.
  14. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

They should have done a revenge episode with Stephanie raping Hunter.

15. stuwee

stuwee Forum Resident

Am I the only one, or did anyone else notice that Fred is hung like a horse? puts Stephanie's boobs in the shade :-popcorn:

melstapler likes this.
  16. James Slattery

Yeah, you are. Why would we be looking at that?

melstapler likes this.
  17. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

I remember reading somewhere that Hunter was/is huge in China and reunion movies have been made primarily with that market in mind.

melstapler likes this.
  18. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Original series just got added to Amazon Video in Canada.

melstapler likes this.
  19. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Stephen J. Cannell was the man.

Rad Dudeski and melstapler like this.
  20. johnod

johnod Forum Resident

I thought she was gorgeous , that's all I remember. :)

21. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

22. Rad Dudeski

Rad Dudeski Forum Resident

I hated that they replaced most of the music on the DVD release of the original series. I think they should have done a full season of the reboot to test the waters, at least they did it the proper way (unlike they do today) and had both of the original cast members on board.

23. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I'm watching this on Amazon Prime Canada. @Musical Maxis you mentioned the music was replaced for the DVD, but I wonder if it's the same for the broadcast versions. However, as I wrote that I remembered I Shazam'd one of the tracks once and came up as The Big Heavy's "Red Sky" and it looks like they released that in 2009, so yeah the broadcast versions have new music as well. It's actually a bit jarring at times.

Still, I'm enjoying watching this again.

24. James Slattery

Stephen Cannell was a cheapskate and he did music replacements across the board. Which is why I kept my off network recordings of his shows, like Hunter, Wiseguy, etc.

RoyalScam likes this.
  25. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

The original music is replaced as well on Baywatch remastered recently added to Amazon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.