Hybrid amps - yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by fjhuerta, Jan 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member Thread Starter

In the search for my "perfect" (nice and economical) amp, I have found a decision point.

Hybrid or not hybrid?

I have listened to all tubed systems for hours. And I have loved them. I have listened to hybrid systems for days (my system!), but I have never listened to both at the same time. So I really don't know which one is better.

I obviously want an all tube system, but it's heavier (by a factor of 2!) and bulkier... and I have to carry it by myself all the way.

Then again, I'd own an all tube system... :)

Your opinions?

2. audio

audio New Member

If you are looking for tube sound and midrange magic, I would say to avoid the hybrid amp. Unless I misunderstood, I once asked Steve about tube/solid state combos and he wasn't into the idea. My question was regarding whether or not a solid state power amp would help the flabby bass of a tube amp or tighten things up favorably. Steve replied:

"No, that would kill it.

I like tight bass too, but this would be like throwing out the baby with the bath water.

Think about it; let's say that maybe 50 of your 200 CD's have nice bass the way you like it and the rest don't. You wouldn't get rid of those that didn't would you? An amp that controlled the bass perfectly but lost the soul of the music wouldn't be much use on a disc with whompy bass, or thin bass or whatever..."

3. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member Thread Starter

That's two votes for the tubed one (Prix's and mine :) )...

4. audio

audio New Member

Three votes.....you forgot Steve's.

5. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

There's more than one way to "hybridize".

From a 1997 Audio by Van Alstine catalog:
    Our hybrid vacuum tube design sounds so real because it lets the individual gain parts each work in optimum environments. Vacuum tubes are great at manipulating voltages-you can play with 200+ volt signals where transistors would go up in smoke and flames. So, we use vacuum tubes for all voltage manipulations. Vacuum tubes, owever, cannot drive difficult loads. They have very limited output current and get in big trouble trying to drive feedback loops, stray internal capacitances, and connection cables. So, we don't let our tubes see any loads at all. They operate in an idealized mode amplifying voltages only, and do it perfectly. Power mos-fets are super current amplifiers. They can control great gobs of current without stress, and when properly selected and used, they perform without needing external compensation, thermal tracking circuits, or VI limiting and protect circuits. So we use all power mos-fets for current amplification duties...

From Music Reference's website:
    The Music Reference RM-200 is the first of a new and unique generation of hybrid vacuum tube products that will establish standards of musical performance at their price points, and beyond. Using a high voltage bipolar input stage, coupled to a pure tube driver and output stage, the RM-200 uses each device in its most suited environment...

I've never heard either one, but I've also never heard anything bad about either one.

6. vinyl anachronist

vinyl anachronist Senior Member

The Pathos line of amplifiers are hybrids, and they are definitely a "yay."

7. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

Javier, without having heard tubes, my thoughts are: if your final goal is owning a tube amp (that's the idea I get from your posts), don't beat around the bush and get a tube amp.

Otherwise it'll always be in the back of your head.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.