“I can’t believe I once thought that...”

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by classicrockguy, Jun 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Foldy Rhizome

Foldy Rhizome Forum Resident

I can't believe I once thought the Red Hot Chili Peppers were a good band.

Garson, Carlos B, YoGarrett and 23 others like this.
  2. Wigru

Wigru Forum Resident

That they played those 2 6-strings perfectly together on Hotel California.

deredordica and ODShowtime like this.
  3. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

i bought the Slayed record when it was released, listened to it once and thought it sucked. I ignored the band until recently when I listened again. What was I thinking back then, it's not as if I had very narrow tastes? Maybe at my young age Noddy's voice bugged me. I also had no idea they were a glam band, I thought they were a pub band. I mean from the cover you wouldn't get that idea.

mark winstanley and Jarleboy like this.
  4. dubious title

dubious title Forum Resident

I used to think "square" musicans like Elton John didn't take drugs.

Mom - "That Elton John's on drugs"

Me - "No way"

deredordica, zebop, Buddybud and 12 others like this.
  5. orodreth

orodreth Well-Known Member

Whooo when i was really young (like 7-8) i opened a cousins's cd of Iron Maiden - Somewhere in Time. In the booklet there was the song credits on every song.

I can’t believe I once thought that... the guy in the parenthesis was the guy who sang the song. Wondered how they all sounded the same.

Thought was gone some time later. Still LOVE this album .....

6. hangwire13

hangwire13 Forum Resident

When I was little I thought all songs on the radio were sung by the same band in the studio of the radio station.

7. RJDG14

RJDG14 Forum Resident

There was a time when I thought the Kinks' You Really Got Me was a Britpop song from the mid 1990s. Listening to it now, it's pretty clear from its production quality that it was recorded in the early-mid 1960s, though it was definitely groundbreaking at the time of its release.

On the contrary, The Verve's Bittersweet Symphony was released in the 90s, and I was quite surprised that it was based on an orchestral Rolling Stones inspired recording from 1965 (released in 1966) - it's arguably the best aged recording of its year.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  8. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

Bono says he has glaucoma, and bright light exacerbates the problem. Maybe he should smoke more weed.

DesertHermit, ET3311 and EVOLVIST like this.
  9. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

This is embarrassing... but at least you're honest.

10. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Yeah! Not only do we now have a different mix, but also different performances and songs! It's a WHOLE NEW album now!! Unrecognizable from the original mix!!
    :rolleyes:

Dudley Morris and jaypee65 like this.
  11. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Which language?:hide:

fr in sc, ARK and Cachiva like this.
  12. VinchVolt123

VinchVolt123 I took a look at those hands.

Though I was never that invested in the work of Tom Petty, I used to think that "Free Fallin'" was a Foo Fighters song until last year.

13. sailingsinkingships

sailingsinkingships Forum Resident

I used to confuse who was Mike Mills and who was Peter Buck in R.E.M. In the pictures Mike Mills definitely looked more like a Peter Buck to me.

deredordica, Sean, finsaah and 2 others like this.
  14. scousette

scousette Forum Resident

The first time I heard Holding Back the Years by Simply Red I thought it was Carly Simon singing.

15. Brewmeister

Brewmeister Forum Resident

I used to think that Crosby, Stills & Nash were a country band.
    And that Led Zeppelin were an extreme heavy metal band and all their songs were about worshipping Satan

16. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I don't recall them being called a glam band at the time of that album. Indeed I'm not sure that "glam" had become a thing at that stage. I saw Slade referred to as a "skinhead band", probably because they were, well, skinheads. Short cropped hair was still a novelty at that time; it was only a couple of years earlier that all the musicians were wearing shoulder-length hair.

unclefred likes this.
  17. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I think Slayed has been considered one of their best in their glam period, 1972, at least from what I've read. I have heard they were once a skinhead group.

18. paulybauls

paulybauls Forum Resident

I can't believe I once thought it was BUTTER

19. RJDG14

RJDG14 Forum Resident

Margarine? I hate that stuff and struggle to eat anything with it in now that I know what butter tastes like.

20. Slackhurst Broadcasting

Slackhurst Broadcasting Forum Resident

Just then he was in Tin Machine. You had a point.

21. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

For decades, I thought the first line in the Guess Who's "Albert Flasher" was "I was a workshop owner in the COLLEGE for the people." Then I saw a picture of Burton Cummings' handwritten lyrics, and it's actually "I was a workshop owner in the GULCH for the people." I had also thought the song was about one of those creepy raincoat guys who hang out at the park and flash people. Then I read the account of a day in a studio when a flashing light came on that said "Alert Flasher". At first glance, Cummings thought it said, "Albert Flasher", thought it was a cool name, and the result was a hit single.

dougb222, jeffd7030 and Scope J like this.
  22. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

I remember "Albert Flasher" from the spring of 1971...I did pick up "gulch", but the general meaning of the song escaped me. To me a gulch was one of our local small ravines in the Mojave desert where I was living at the time...but what was it doing in the song about a workshop owner?! But yes...Albert Flasher is a cool name!

jeffd7030 and Folknik like this.
  23. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

I was basing this off a listen of a Best of Bowie CD!

Jarleboy likes this.
  24. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

When I was young I figured that people in bands must have all been good friends who would hang out together even when they weren't working.

51IS, deredordica, moodyxadi and 21 others like this.
  25. Gary the Aggie

Gary the Aggie Forum Resident

I was embarrassingly well into adulthood before I realized how “D’yer Mak’er” is pronounced.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.