I finally listened to an Yngwie Malmsteen/Rising Force album today

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Stephen J, Jun 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 9 Volt

9 Volt That cat's something I can't explain

Yngwie has always been a 'love him or hate him' kind of artist. Personally I love his neoclassical playing much more than his actual songs. To me the songs are just a frame for his solos and I'm totally cool with that.

In my unpaid opinion his greatest work is his Concerto Suite for Electric Guitar and Orchestra In E Flat Minor Op. 1. Fantastic!

Trader Joe and mark winstanley like this.
  2. Maybe not about his solo work, but Vai is a much more versatile musician who’s worked with a lot of other folks, including John “Rotten” Lydon. I dont think Yngwie would be capable of that!

jay.dee and mark winstanley like this.
  3. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I like it when he pretends to play Bach after shredding his strat to bits. Or maybe he is playing Bach? Something classical on acoustic recorded really well.

It makes metal seem more sophisticated- and I found it entertaining - the audacity of it all.

Then the guitar concerto! You gotta love the balls it takes to pull this stuff off.

Trader Joe, mark winstanley and drobo like this.
  4. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

You beat me to it. And your writing was more on point than mine. Terrific efforts at the solo guitar and classical aspirations in tight leather pants! Lolol

Trader Joe and mark winstanley like this.
  5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Correct - obsessively non-guitar-obsessives liked Vai's work with DLR back in the 80s.

But I don't think that's the same as "they care about Steve Vai". They liked the guitar player DLR had but I don't think people really cared beyond what he did at the time... :shrug:

6. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

I never could get into Yngwie. All that technical skill and no soul. Way too clinical.

7. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

Vai's playing on Album is amazingly good. Such an unexpected lineup (Vai, Lydon, Ginger Baker, etc).

mark winstanley and Kiss73 like this.
  8. 9 Volt

I disagree. I was in the front row when Yngwie played on the G3 tour with Vai and Satriani at the Greek Theatre in L.A. Trust me, Yngwie poured his heart and soul into every note. You could see it. You could feel it. Amazing performance by the neoclassical master.

9. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

Rising Force, Trilogy and Odyssey are his best albums IMO. The songwriting got worse after that and the guitar playing became very samey.

bombardir499 and Lonecat like this.
  10. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

JSS has made 100's of albums! He's currently in Sons of Apollo with Mike Portnoy, Billy Sheehan, Derek Sherinian and Bumblefoot. He's also been a featured vocalist in the Trans-Siberian Orchestra for many years.

He got completely shafted by Schon and Cain after bailing them out of the ****.

He's a lovely bloke too :)

Curveboy and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Great singer maybe (and a great album) but live he had the stage presence of a breeze block

gary191265 likes this.
  12. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

The outro solo on 'Ease' is the greatest thing that Vai has ever recorded!

Synthfreek and mj_patrick like this.
  13. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

Funny you say that, it’s what came to mind when I made my reply about Album.

14. Anders Hedman

Anders Hedman Forum Resident

You might argue about which Yngwie album is the best of the first five YJM/Rising Force albums, but I believe that everyone agrees that after that - songwise - his albums are pure **** with no hooks and memorable choruses at all.

sunking101 likes this.
  15. 9 Volt

Have you guys heard his demo tapes from 1980. Recorded when he was only 15 years old. Sound quality is a bit rough but his playing is still amazing.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

...and samey guitar leads.

17. 9 Volt

Sad but true. He invented the neoclassical metal genre, then he took it as far as it could go. After that he slipped into cruise control and that was it.

Still, his 1998 Concerto is astonishing and the finest work of his career.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. M2225

M2225 Nebulus 7 intergalaxy eclipse

Bought Rising Force on Polydor LP the year it was released, still have it, it's brilliant.

Anthrax and 9 Volt like this.
  19. 9 Volt

I did too. Also the first cd I ever bought.

M2225 likes this.
  20. Hermes

Hermes Past Master

Five albums is plenty of music. Five good albums is more than enough to make an artist among the best.

21. REMASTERANTER

REMASTERANTER Ahhhhhh...

Try Facing the Animal...

22. REMASTERANTER

REMASTERANTER Ahhhhhh...

If someone is only "averagely interested" they are mentally deficient to begin with, so all his other work would be wasted on them.

23. REMASTERANTER

REMASTERANTER Ahhhhhh...

[​IMG]

24. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

I did not get that far to judge.
    From his demeanor, quotes, self possession and perceived self importance he struck me as the musical equivalent of Steven Segal. (& i gave him a wide birth)
    Living in a room of mirrors and maybe not being aware how he is perceived beyond his own adoring fans.
    Sorry i can't find the chair icon to hide under now!

showtaper likes this.
  25. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

I saw YM open for AC/DC in 1985. Good performer and player. However, an opening act slot would be about all I could handle. A full, headliner set would have gotten boring (for me a non guitar player). Very Ritchie Blackmore like back then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.