I forgot how great Echo and the Bunnymen are

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BroJB, May 6, 2017.

1. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

They look thoroughly bored! How can you take such perfection for granted? ;)

2. juno6000

juno6000 Forum Resident

Thanks! I knew I wasn't nuts!

3. juno6000

juno6000 Forum Resident

Candleland is just as good. But yeah, Mysterio is so good I snap up every copy I see so I will never be without it.

JL6161 likes this.
  4. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

i'm off the beaten path with this band- this is my favorite EB tune- talk about a psychedelic classic, it' awesome!

c-eling likes this.
  5. juno6000

juno6000 Forum Resident

I have an EP that has as live version of Do it Clean melded with Sex Machine that is amazing

6. avanti1960

yeah, WRUR was awesome! they used to add some special effects / trippy delays or something to some songs.

Jimbo912 and ARK like this.
  7. Golden Richards

Golden Richards Forum Rodent

I really like Flowers from 2001. Here is my favorite of the lot:

8. avanti1960

very "berlin" sounding!

Golden Richards likes this.
  9. avanti1960

geez thanks for this thread! i realized i only have (2) EB records (1986 Echo and the Bunneymen; 1990 Reverberation) and lots of catalog to fill!

JeffMo and jamesc like this.
  10. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Absolutely. Their first four LPs are all tens in my book. They also put out some stunning 12" singles.

11. The original CDs and vinyl are best IMHO. The remasters are compressed and shrill. I keep them for the bonus tracks but other than that they can be coasters IMHO?

George P likes this.
  12. Mac wouldn't agree with you but I would.

13. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Those will work in a pinch, but they're best experienced on original UK or German Korova LPs and singles (though I am partial to the US Sire pressing of their first LP).

Gavinyl and wayneklein like this.
  14. I agree althiugh the devut doesn't have the singles that were added for U.S. Consumption.

15. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

The self-titled album has grown on me a lot over the years...not a patch on the first four though. I also like Ian's first solo album, Candleland. Been meaning to check out that Electrafixion album for awhile. Need to revisit the comeback stuff at some point also.

c-eling likes this.
  16. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I disagree. I thought the 2004 remasters were a huge improvement over the U.S. Sire CDs and the WG CD for Porcupine. For vinyl, the old U.S. Sire pressings were nothing special IMHO. My UK first of Porcupine sounds great though, as does the MOFI of Heaven Up Here.

juno6000, Gavinyl and Rgfinch like this.
  17. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

One I warmed up to Noel on vocals, I eventually enjoyed it. Loved the cover art as well :)
    [​IMG]

18. bhasenstab

bhasenstab Forum Resident

I think of them as the high-achieving sibling of The Teardrop Explodes. (Once removed.) :D

19. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

One of my favorite bands. I never forget how great they are.

JL6161 and zphage like this.
  20. They are more dynamic and, at least the U.S. Pressing on CD, has all of the tracks from the U.S. Vinyl. They sounded the most like the U.S. Vinyl which sounded pretty darn good but I must admit I no longer had the original vinyl (I became a fan when I heard "Happy Dead Men" on the radio being playing in 1980 the same year I picked up U2's debut unheard based on a comment form Chris Blackwell about the band)

Still have to disagree with you about the 2004 remasters though. I did, however, replace my original CDs with the W. German and Uk pressings which beat the domestics for sound. Whatever the original CDs lacked, the 2004 overcompensated for IMHO.

George P likes this.
  21. I think of them as The Teardrop Explodes without acid and on uppers and downers instead.

JL6161, bhasenstab and Blank Frank like this.
  22. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

The only remaster I picked up was S/T 2003 for the bonus stuff. I have it also on lp, the old US Ryan K cut. Both formats (US SRC) sound near identical to me, really no clear winner.
    Early albums I just had on cassette. So I picked up the Original Album Series box to get me by which I'm assuming uses the old UK/Euro mastering's if there is a difference at all between US and UK. For 1987's S/T I believe there is only one mastering.

23. broccolid

broccolid Trickologist

Wow, I was a WRUR DJ in college and spent much of my disposable income from 1989-92 at the Record Archive as well as Lakeshore Record Exchange. Awesome post!

Criminy pete likes this.
  24. Here ya go:
    It's All Live Now LP

25. Criminy pete

Criminy pete Forum Resident

You are so, so right about this. I think they're an important band. Have you heard their newer releases? I'm thinking Late 80s, early 90s.