I got a nice Elvis sampler CD. Here are a couple questions.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KeithH, Mar 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now Thread Starter

In my travels through some used CD shop this weekend, I found a nice Elvis disc entitled 20th Anniversary Sampler. The six-track disc was released by RCA/BMG in conjunction with Blockbuster in 1997, obviously to commemorate the 20th anniversary of Elvis's passing. The inserts have a few nice photos of Elvis, including one from the '68 concert that spans the inside front and back covers of the booklet. The CD is a picture disc. Here is the track list, as presented on the back insert:

1. Jailhouse Rock
    2. All Shook Up
    3. Can't Help Falling In Love (Movie Version)
    4. Burning Love (Alternate Take) (Never Before Released on CD)
    5. America The Beautiful (Never Before Released on CD)
    6. The Fool

The back insert says that these tracks would be split among then-forthcoming releases as follows:

Tracks 1, 2, and 4 from "Platinum - A Life In Music"
    Track 3 "Blue Hawaii - Collector's Edition"
    Track 5 from "Elvis Aron Presley" (Silver Box)
    Track 6 from "A Golden Celebration" (Gold Box)

Are any of these releases worth getting? Now, I know that Steve's DCC gold CDs are the ones to have in terms of sound quality, and I have the gold CD of 24 KARAT HITS!. However, the DCC gold CDs are not all-encompassing. Are any of the RCA/BMG releases listed above worth having for tracks not included on Steve's discs? How do these RCA/BMG releases sound?

Getting back to the sampler, I have only been able to give it a listen in the car, and I thought it sounded pretty good. I only have a basic Sony head unit and Honda factory speakers, so the slightest bit of harshness on a disc screams. I found the sampler disc to be quite easy to listen to in this system. I'll certainly have to listen to it at home tonight before making a final judgment.

For what it's worth, here are the credits on the back insert of the sampler disc:

2. thenexte

thenexte Forum Resident

Most of these releases are actually 4 CD sets with exclusively unreleased material aimed for the Elvis collector.

Both "The Silver Box" and "Golden Anniversary" were straight CD reissues of LP Box sets that originally were issued in the 80's.

Both "Platinum - A life in music" (1997) and the more recent "Today, Tomorrow & forever" (2002) are new incarnations of such boxes with more unreleased material.

I'm not sure if these releases entirely satisfy your audiophile curiousity, but you might be pleased to know that ELV1S - 30 Number Hits (released last year) is probably the closest thing ever to a best sounding Elvis reissue.

Coincidentally they even did a surround version on DVD-A for that one, which I can wholeheartedly recommend to even the casual fan (also has DD 5.1 and DD 2.0 tracks if you don't have a DVD-A player)...
    -wolf

3. KeithH

Wolf, thanks. Those box sets may be worth having for the extra tracks. I'll look into them.

You said:

I have this CD, and it is good to my ears. However, Steve's 24 KARAT HITS! DCC gold CD is easily better. As you peruse this forum more, you will see that the 30 #1 Hits CD is heavily criticized, as many here feel the mixing was not done well. When compared to the aforementioned DCC CD, I would have to agree.

I also have the DVD-Audio disc, and it is considerably than the 30 #1 Hits CD.

4. shucky ducky

shucky ducky Forum Resident

Howdy Keith,

I've had all those boxes your considering for several years now, and the one I re-listen to the most, and the one I would recommend would be "Platinum - A Life In Music"...

... those four cds provide a great introduction to all the various styles of music that Elvis sang thru-out his career. You'll hear the early Sun tracks, his pre-army hits, gospel music, the post-army hits, more gospel music, the hollywood years, the NBC Comback special, the Memphis Sessions, a few country songs, the early 70s, the post-divorce music, and finally the Jungle Room tracks.

Once you hear all those songs, I'm guessing you'll want to hear more... I would recommend "Great Country Songs", "Suspicious Minds" (the Memphis Sessions), and "Elvis is Back" (the DCC of course).

I'm really hoping for a SACD release of "Great Country Songs" later this year, but have heard nothing but secondhand rumors so far... so who knows if that will happen or not.

~ David

5. thenexte

thenexte Forum Resident

Interestingly enough, BMG (as one of the biggest music companies in the world) has been quite ambivalent when it comes to endorsing multi-channel formats.

After releasing E1 on DVD-A (in a standard jewel case!) last year they have re-issued four original 90's Elvis compilations on compact disc early this year - all of them had been remastered using DSD technology.

Looks like they're keeping their options open at this point and are simply waiting on how the market spreads with current multi-channel release strategies such as The Police and DSOTM (although one might get the feeling WB is doing the same right now... ;-)

6. KeithH

David,

Thanks for the comments. They are very helpful. I will have to check out the Platinum box set for starters.

Wolf,

I don't know what BMG is thinking about these days when it comes to hi-rez. Perhaps they aren't thinking about it! :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.