I have an Oppo Blu Ray player (BDP 103). Do I need a stand alone CD player?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by screechmartin, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

Nunca salís a la calle golpeando una caserola?

2. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

If the Blu Ray player is "damn good" then it should be performing better than "pretty decent" with CDs.
    My default answer is every serious audiophile needs a dedicated CD player. :targettiphat:

3. drobo

drobo Forum Resident

No. Final answer.

4. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Nah.......

5. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

Música del Pueblo!

6. The Pinhead

DEJÁTE DE JODER !:laugh:

7. Audiowannabee

Audiowannabee Forum Resident

YES cuz why would anyone at this stage be using a very expensive very good sacd n bluray player for CDs...

Keep the wear n tear off of ur oppo ...BUY a CD player!

8. mcdmdmd

mcdmdmd Member

If I put a hybrid SACD/CD into the BDP-103, will it play the SACD side?
    Does it give me a choice?

If I connect the 103 to a dedicated DAC, will that DAC "take over"?

Would the Oppo function as a decent SACD transport?

9. ca1ore

ca1ore Forum Resident

Oppo 93/103/203 functions just fine as a transport. Not so good if you are using the internal DAC.

10. The Pinhead

Beg to differ. Maybe not as the 5 series, or when paired with an external DAC, but just as good as a standalone player costing 500-1000 bucks; more than enough to my ears at least (with the equipment listed on my profile, that is)

sushimaster, C.Ludwig and Soundslave like this.
  11. Francois1968

Francois1968 Forum Resident

It depends on how you experience the Oppo ,if you are missing something, and if so; what is it that you are looking for?

I already had a fantastic standalone CD player (Meridian 588) before I bought the Oppo bdp 83. I was struck by the SQ this old Oppo has to offer when playing red book CD. It does sound different than the Meridian.
    These days I listen to the Oppo for SACD playback (connected to the RCA outputs) and other formats using the Rega DAC-R, connected digital coaxial. Does it need this DAC to sound great? Not to my ears, but I just like it better with it. A while ago I was using a Meridian Director DAC. Like someone else said; playing with DAC's can be addictive.......

Your Oppo is fantastic and it does deliver both on it's own and as a transport as well. If you want more, audition some different sounding DAC's. Do bare in mind that it takes quite a refined system to be able to hear (subtle) differences between adequate DAC's.
    Have fun finding what suits your taste best.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
    The Pinhead likes this.
  12. The Pinhead

Yes ! No differences with mid-fi rigs (like mine) Save your money if your CDP is a good one.

13. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

I'm really disappointed with OPPO. I sent them 2 emails about where to send my bdp 83 for repair, and no answer!! Very bad.

14. The Pinhead

How long ago ?

15. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

a couple of months. I guess I should try again.

The Pinhead likes this.
  16. ghostofzuul

ghostofzuul Harvester of Sorrow

my special edition oppo w/ the nuforce board is specifically designed for audio. not sure what all this "oppo not good for audio" noise is.... part of the reason why the players are so revered is b/c they do audio so well. i almost NEVER use mine for video.

17. HIRES_FAN

HIRES_FAN Forum Resident

I use a backup 5 CD carousel changer (Yamaha CD-C600, discontinued now apparently!) as a transport into my DAC to run redbook cds. It lets me load up 5 cds at a time and not haul ass every time to change a flippin cd.

On the plus side, it also wards off any unnecessary wear/tear associated with running a clusterfk of redbook CDs on my my higher end SACD player (Technics SL-G700) and bluray/universal player (Yamaha BD-A1060, discontinued as well!!)...The players that sound good these days are disappearing at an alarming rate since everyone's moving over to streaming...

Audiowannabee likes this.
  18. The Pinhead

Any phone you can call ? Maybe that's faster ?

19. Audiowannabee

Audiowannabee Forum Resident

ALL repair requests have been ONLY thru email for quite awhile now. Try email again n expect delays cuz the state of CA is very messed up cuz the cough BS

The Pinhead and Bill Mac like this.
  20. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I've never not received a response to an email sent to Oppo. I usually get a response within hours even on weekends.

OPPO Digital - Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc Players

C.Ludwig and Audiowannabee like this.
  21. DTS-MA 7.1

DTS-MA 7.1 Forum Resident

Dear Bill, Are you saying the dsd multichannel can use a dac from your 205? Or are you happy with it, you have the modded tube one correct?.

22. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Hi Nick,

I no longer have the 205. I'm currently using a 103 (with HDMI) for multichannel SACDs with PCM. I use a 105 (XLR analog) for stereo SACD playback with DSD. I'm looking at buying a ModWright tube 105 which will be real nice!

If you wanted use the DACs in a player like the 105 or 205 for DSD multichannel you'd have to use the 5/7.1 analog output to an AVR or prepro with a 5/7.1 analog input. I use HDMI with PCM for multichannel SACD playback to take advantage of Dirac room correction with my Emotiva XMC-1.

23. ca1ore

ca1ore Forum Resident

I suppose it’s about when is good enough good enough. When I used the 93/103 as a full,player, it was fine but not spectacular. I found them much better as just a transport. In fact, I had the analog output board on the 93 replaced with a vanity HD card to get 3xSPDIF into my Meridian 861. I still own it, but the 103 got replaced by a 203. That one I’ve never even tried as anything other than a transport. It may be a that my aging ears could no longer tell a difference.

24. DTS-MA 7.1

DTS-MA 7.1 Forum Resident

Unfortunately my ears are not as young as they used to be right at the time when you can afford better but can't hear it. Vanity will stop me from nowing the difference.

25. VinylMan07

VinylMan07 *Almost* but *not entirely* an Audiophile

If you are a hardcore audiophile, yes. If you aren’t, no. I’m my opinion, it makes no difference, but, it depends on your ears.

The Pinhead likes this.