I just ordered my first turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by 312elements, Aug 6, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Static

Static Forum Resident

I saw this video and laughed and laughed....

Jim0830 likes this.
  2. 312elements

312elements Forum Resident Thread Starter

So much to learn. So AP does their own pressings and they’re of a higher quality than elsewhere? Are they sold in stores or just on their website? I already found a bunch of stuff I’d like to have on their site.

3. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

My local store stocks them, so I assume others do too.

312elements likes this.
  4. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

There seems to be subset of audiophiles who are genuinely upset that ‘the Vinyl Revival’ is happening (and is even gaining momentum). Even though streaming is still the 800-lb gorilla in the room, and likely always will be.

Not sure what their problem is, and don’t much care. :sigh:

Now back to your regularly-scheduled thread…

5. Lenny99

Lenny99 The truth sets you free.

Congrats on your new TT.

My humble advice is to enjoy all aspects of the Audio experience. For instance:

I like the give and take of advice on this forum. I surely take in much more than I give, but I've slowly been able to give a bit. I really love to help out others, I only wish I knew more so I could help more.

I love the educational issues. I like to read and have assembled a modest library. A small amountof which concerns audio. There is so much to learn, and so little time.

I love the engineering required to put together a system when economics are a great concern as it us at almost any level. Do I put more cash into a better source, better cables, or save for a dream component.

I love crusing the local second hand shops, checking for those hidden gems of vinyl and of coursr a great deal on equipment that I don't need....lol.

Most of all I love the sound.

As I've grown older I have come to realize as a young man I actually denied myself the wonder of great music because of stuburn nonsense. So, I gave made an effort expend my musical interests. Its paid off.

And I treasure the times my wife and I kick back and listen to our favorite crooner, Dean Martin. However, we both love Alice Cooper.

Good luck and welcome.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
    kyouki, Lowgroove and 312elements like this.
  6. Hardiman

Hardiman Forum Resident

Acoustic Sounds is their online store, If you like the blues or jazz, their Prestige reissue series is phenomenal. I'm an OG hound though so always prefer to find an original. I own many AP pressings though and there isn't one I have that sounds bad. Their UHQR Miles Davis - Kind of Blue sounds scary good. Their Jimi Hendrix - Are you experienced UHQR sounds fantastic considering the limitations of the recording (If you're a rock fan).

7. 312elements

that’s super helpful. Any companies you suggest staying away from?

8. Hardiman

Hardiman Forum Resident

I'm not sure if you're aware of the whole MoFi controversy at the minute, essentially they've been claiming for years to cut from all analogue and it turns out almost all of their releases in the past 15 years have been digital. Out of principle I'll never be buying from them again. Their releases do sound good though, so if you haven't been invested before don't let me put you off.

Music on Vinyl is hit and miss, all digital but some of their releases sound decent enough and in some cases it's the only way to get the record other than what may be an expensive original.

Pure Pleasure is an analogue label which has great sounding releases, Speakers Corner is an analogue label with great releases, Impex is another audiophile label with some great releases. Bear in mind, all audiophile labels mostly issue "good" recordings, so for the most part it's jazz, blues, classical etc.

Stay away from grey labels like DOL and WaxTime. These are essentially cut from mp3 with no license, no royalties to the estates etc.

4 men with beards I've found to be terrible.

Discogs is your friend, if you're after a specific record click on the master release of it on Discogs and look at the reviews, it will show the reviews for all releases, find one that everyone says sounds great etc.

Once you start buying more, you'll come across labels and learn yourself what to stay away from and what is good over time.

And the best part of record collecting... Go out and dig and find some gold in those record stores. Sometimes all the online help makes you too aware and always looking for a deal etc. It's fine to start getting your head around what things are worth, but I find when digging it's best to put the phone away and just enjoy yourself, if you're happy paying the prices that's all that matters.

9. Lowgroove

Lowgroove Forum Resident

I agree on anything by Analog Productions - even the few they use digital steps for are great mastering and pressing.

For starters maybe get their "samplers" - Wonderful Sounds of Male Vocals and Wonderful Sounds of Female Vocals.

MonkeyTennis and 312elements like this.
  10. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

Congratulations on getting your new turntable. It appears you certainly did your due diligence and now you will reap the rewards of all your hard work. Enjoy!

As for record labels: I can't say enough good things about Analogue Productions and their store: Acoustic Sounds. MoFi, I have 36 and they mostly sound excellent. But I don't like their ethics and going forward they will not be an automatic buy for me. I will see if any of the other labels have all analog versions of them. I agree MOV is hit or miss, but some titles are excellent. The Blue Note Tone Poet and Classic Reissues series are typically excellent jazz reissues. Speakers Corner, Impex, Pure Pleasure, Craft Recordings and Intervention Records make some great sounding titles. Another good label is ORG (Original Recordings Group) but be careful not to confuse them with ORG Music who is also a reissue label that is very hit and miss. I can't think of an ORG Music LP that is in the same league as ORG. Rhino records has always done reasonably priced reissues that typically have better than average sound (B-B+). Lately they have been upping their game on some releases, but not making a big deal of it. Rhino have released some jazz titles recently for the Atlantic label that are all analogue, cut directly from the original master tapes and remastered by Kevin Gray. These I give at least an A- to and they were reasonably priced.

The 'In' Groove is a brick and mortar and online record store in Phoenix, AZ that carries many audiophile records. Here is Mike, the owner's, list of his top picks. Note that he sells many but not all of them, so it isn't as biased as it might first seem. Here is the list from the web site:
    MIKE'S PICKS FOR THE TOP 100 IN PRINT ANALOG RECORDS

Here is the YouTube version of the list which has the advantage of having his comments about each release:
    The Top 100 All Analog Records In Print In 2021 That you Should Own

Here is his YouTube channel which has some great content on it:
    The 'In' Groove

You have probably heard of Michael Fremmer in you travels. He was one of the few people who still championed the superiority of LPs over digital right from the start. He also was and is a contributor to many audiophile magazines. Here is his top 100 list in both written and video form. If you scroll down the list you will see a link for the YouTube video version:
    100 Recommended All-Analog LP Reissues Worth Owning

This is a fun time for you. I remember how happy I was when I returned to vinyl after a 30 year hiatus. in 2017 I dusted off my 800 LPs that hadn't been played for 30 years and bought a new turntable. The fun has just begun.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
    myles, 312elements and bever70 like this.
  11. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

When I saw that video THE "AUDIOPHILE" TURNTABLE HUSTLE EXPOSED !! in my YouTube feed, I laughed. I didn't bite: pure click bait. I'm sure I've heard it al before and probably done better. That guy is a bore. He is a legend in his own mind. He doesn't anger me, he just makes me laugh at his desperation to have an audience for his nonsense.

I don't hate digital. Realistically other than when I am in my listening room, that is all I can listen to the rest of the time. Both are necessary, both can sound excellent. I just happen to prefer analog for my most serious listening. Other's like digital, good on them. I don't get people like this guy who obviously gets pleasure in trying to upset audiophiles. Right now a lot of people who like digital are trying to rub audiophiles who prefer analog's noses in it. They miss the point. I really think the majority of the people upset about the MoFi debacle are upset about the deceit, more than the sound. People who prefer analog may have passed on MoFi and looked for other true analog versions of the pressings that might have sounded better to them. Had they known MoFi's dirty little secret, that is. My 36 MoFi albums still sound the same to me now as they did before the truth came out. The difference is I will not just automatically buy a MoFi title like I did before I knew of their deception. Now I will try to find if there is an all analog reissue of a potential MoFi release that may actually sound better.

12. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Love the look of the Escape.. Congrats. Nice to see somebody make a non-Technics/Rega choice too. Enjoy! Be sure to post some pics when you get it set-up!

312elements likes this.
  13. chris geary

chris geary Forum Resident

Forget about audiophile records. Just buy records. Old ones if possible. Many of them need new homes.

BrentB and 312elements like this.
  14. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Who is that? For such a big city there aren't really a lot of stereo/hifi shops.
    I'm guessing Music Direct is who you had a negative email experience with.

Also Craft recordings and Blue Note Records.
    There are also some quality reissue campaigns going on by Contemporary, Verve and Candid.

AP product doesn't turn up in local record stores here in Chicago, maybe Music Direct.
    I think I have seen one or two over the course of 5 years at a local shop.

312elements likes this.
  15. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

I like shopping on their website but I'm not a big fan of the $60 45rpm LP's. Sure, they sound great but I don't need the two sides of American Beauty broken up in half. 33 1/3rd is just fine with me.

312elements, ubiknik and Dafox like this.
  16. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Tone Deaf records up on Milwaukee ave. near Montrose has a very healthy selection of vinyl, they don't even sell CDs.

312elements likes this.
  17. Hardiman

Hardiman Forum Resident

Yeah, I thought tone poets and classics had been mentioned previously so omitted them, but of course to a jazz fan they’re a fantastic reissue series from Blue Note.

Music Matters Jazz are amazing, however now out of print and expensive to get hold of, there are some still left on their website though.

Vinyl Me Please is actually a great reissue label which curates some fantastic and left field choices and for some part gets their releases cut from analogue too.

OP has a lot of information to keep him going for now I think! :p

312elements and ubiknik like this.
  18. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Your location shows the Chicago area, so where do you find these locally?

312elements likes this.
  19. Lenny99

I use Discogs a lot. Real good resource. And, I use their system to list all my vinyl.

Boltman92124 and 312elements like this.
  20. 312elements

I’m in the south burbs, and Holm Audio in Woodridge has been great to me over the last few years. Lots of really cool stuff at the store. Huge inventory of high quality used gear and some nice new stuff in stock there. Everyone there works there likes to geek out. They do a great job at community building, but admittedly a lot of what they have is out of reach for those on a budget.

avanti1960 and ubiknik like this.
  21. Lenny99

I live in a small town, Clarksburg WV. So, I expanded my search area. At first I almost gave up. But little by little I found this second had shop or used audio shop here and there.

Some are a longer drive than I prefer, but I take my wife and we make it a day.

22. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Prob 90% of what I buy is Discogs now. Occasional VG+ but prefer NM. Also, sealed original pressings that haven't inflated price wise.

23. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

It’d be fantastic if everything everyone wanted came in one format. It would also be great to have everything one wants in a car, including features that are not even an option anymore, to be available in currently offered cars.

Barring that, one would seem to do well to accept where things are. If somebody wants to have options as far as modern recordings and reissues, it seems sensible to include a turntable. If someone automatically rules it out and then the available Digital formats have a mastering they don’t like, it doesn't seem there is much else to be done

312elements likes this.
  24. FJC1966

FJC1966 The Prestonian

That's correct - in almost all cases the LPs they issue are cut by legendary/leading mastering engineers from the Original Master Tapes using their own plating and pressing operations at QRP - You're unlikely to hear a better version of your favourite titles for a (relatively) reasonable price - they consistently produce audiophile gold time after time....

312elements likes this.
  25. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Let's face it- If you head over to a friends house, is it more interesting to see a full book case or have them tell you what they just listened to on Audible. Same goes for music nowadays. It's such a private thing..not noticed by others, especially when it's all about the Airpods. A friend came over to my place recently and first thing he did was get a giddy look on his face and start thumbing through the LP collection. Not long later, he asked me what was involved in maybe getting a turntable set up.

Fender Relic and 312elements like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.