I Love My FYE

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by japes, May 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. easyge

easyge Senior Member

Sweet! Did you get the Made In Japan version or the Made In USA version?

2. Cardanken

Cardanken Hyperactive!

Not sure,, i'm at work now,, i'll check later and let you know. I there a noticeable difference in sound?

3. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

I stopped by FYE this afternoon. Used CDs/DVDs are Buy One - Get Another One For a $1 on ones priced up to $15.

I bought the following:

Jimi Hendrix - West Coast Seattle Boy (15-track CD version)
    Toto - Live in Amsterdam (cover of While My Guitar Gently Weeps on it)
    Bruce Springsteen - Born To Run
    U2 - Vertigo 2005 Live From Chicago DVD

Total was just shy of $21

I saw 4 CCR DCC CDs while I was there. Prices ranged from $29 to $44. They were not include in the sale though, so I passed.

Saw some crazy prices too. For example - Steve Miller's GH for $22. Why? It was not the DCC version either.

4. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

USA disc 1 has bonus tracks that are not on the Japan disc. A rarity when the USA is the desired version hee.

5. Cardanken

Cardanken Hyperactive!

2 cd box, says disc manufactured in Japan, printed in U.S.A.

Disc 1 has 9 studio songs and a 10th bonus track from Wheels of Fire sessions called Anyone for Tennis

Disc 2 is 4 songs of Live at the Fillmore.

So I guess I have the Japan version?

6. easyge

easyge Senior Member

Yep but not a biggie. ENJOY these discs. WOF is a great sounding DCC set! Crank it up. Such a warm sounding set. Steve really knocked this one out of the park.

Do a search in the Music forum concerning the bonus tracks on the USA pressed set. I think there are 3 tracks not on the Japan version.

7. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

I envy you guys--my local FYE is utterly worthless. I have been killing it at Half Price Books the last month, though. Mostly jazz (since Borders' demise, they've become the closest thing to a jazz store in the Chicago suburbs), but also a near-mint 4-disc Prince Crystal Ball on clearance for $2.

8. Cardanken

Cardanken Hyperactive!

I hear ya. Actually I'm pretty amazed that MOA FYE has all this good stuff. Usually there's nothing much of interest. To the point where most times I'd not even check it out when at the mall. Just went in to kill time while my daughter and her friend were shopping. about hit the floor when I saw all the titles. :)

9. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

My local FYE had buy one used item get 2nd used item for a dollar. Great deal..

10. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

I found a DCC Cookin' with the Miles Davis Quintet gold CD at a local FYE for $4.88 the other day ... Got a half-off deal, so I paid $2.44. Schweeet!

11. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

This stuff kills me. The FYI near me...s___s! High prices on everything. Very few interesting items make the racks. Sale prices are still 20% higher then almost anywhere. I've never found a Target, dcc or mfsl in the store. Most of the sales staff are...I won't say.:cry: FYI is...the worst lp/cd store in metro Detroit.

12. oldbsturgeon

oldbsturgeon RlrrLrll

A funny thing I noticed is that at the mall near me, a FYE opened unexpectedly several months ago, but not before october as I go to this mall fairly frequentlly and where its on the main strip, would have noticed if it had been there a long time. Well as of last weekend it has already closed.
    I guess it didn't do very well

13. citizeN

citizeN New Member

going out of business sale at the fye at our mall, 40-60 percent of retail price which pretty much means regular price everywhere else, thought about picking up disintegration deluxe reissue, but would still be about $23, might go back and see if its there

14. Atari265278

Atari265278 Forum Resident

I traded in a box full of CDs & DVDs the other day & picked up Yellow Pills Volume 3 & Beg, Scream & Shout!: The Big Ol' Box Of 60's Soul.:goodie:

15. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

What price did they have on the soul box?

16. Atari265278

$80

17. Thesmellofvinyl

That's good. A friend of mine grabbed one at a record show for $30. FYE has a sale going now where $4.88 clearance CDs are 2-for-1. The selection is not great, however, at least not at my local mall location.

18. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Apparently the one in Nashville is also closing. I'm shocked it lasted this long.

19. Atari265278

Everything is at least 50% off. My friend there picked up a stack of goodies for me!:goodie:

20. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

The FYE in the mall closest to me is closing Jan. 25.
    Everything is 50-80% off.
    Luckily there is still the FYE in another local mall.
    They have been my go to place for new releases ever
    since I abandoned BB.

Darryl

21. Atari265278

BTW, my friend said that they still had several Genesis box sets left for 70% off in case anyone is interested.

22. anthontherun

anthontherun Forum Resident

I went to a local FYE for the first time in about a year because I had a $5 coupon. It's a tiny store in a big mall and I remember the last time I was there, I spent about 90 minutes digging through the racks and I think only one other person came into the store the entire time. I only made the trek after verifying that the location was still around...and I was pleasantly surprised. No, it wasn't the haul I usually walk away with from the FYEs in Philadelphia, but I got 5 things for under $20 so I'm pretty happy. And there were a lot more customers than last time...an almost frustratingly high, "Get away from that Raveonettes CD" amount of customers. ;)

23. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

FYE in Danbury, CT. is closing as well. I think that tomorrow is their last day.

24. Thesmellofvinyl

Sad about Danbury. I used to go there every time I was in that area visiting my sister. It's where I found Pink Floyd's The Wall MFSL CD for $17.99.

25. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

I was in a FYE store today. Picked up some used Seinfeld DVD Box sets (I have never bought these), buy one get the second 50% off. The DVD Boxes were marked used but after I opened them they looked new. Bought a couple of used CDs also. I hope mine doesn't close I find some good stuff sometimes there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.