I miss Ray Charles. Anyone ever meet him? What's your FAVORITE Ray Recording?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jul 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whoompley

whoompley Senior Member

"A Fool For You" on Atlantic.

2. ec461

ec461 Forum Resident

Me too. :thumbsup: :D

3. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

[​IMG]I'm not ashamed to say, too, I love this album.

4. DaleH

DaleH Forum Resident

Never seen that record, must be awesome. I love Count Basie.:righton:

5. elektrikjester

elektrikjester Forum Resident

Never met him. But my favorite off-beat Ray recordings include:

"Rainy Night in Georgia" (his read is just so different than Brook Benton's; more easy going, laid back than wistful. Especially love that bizarre bit at the end where he talks about "getting some Sterno")

"Eleanor Rigby" (sinister, just sinister)

"Outskirts of Town"

6. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

For those that have never seen this thread, or for those who would like to read it again, here is one of my favorite "Steve stories":

Ray Charles, sitting in the dark.

Hep Alien likes this.
  7. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

America the Beautiful

8. adhoc

adhoc Gentlemen Prefer Stereo

Steve,

One of the Ray Charles CDs you mastered ("Uh Huh: His Greatest Hits") arrived in the mail about a week ago. Is this the set you refer to in your OP as being held up in a show of some sorts?

This was my first Ray Charles purchase. First ever.

After the move "Ray" came out I had 'get a RC album' on my 'to do' list but just somehow never got down to it. Sure, I knew that he sang "Hit The Road Jack", but... that was about it.

What I had been missing!!

Now I have the "Birth of Soul" set as well. The sound and more importantly, the music, is simply amazing on your "Uh Huh" set.

Thank you so very much. Thank you. :)

PS: FWIW, any other recommendations for RC? Anyone?

9. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Aaron,

Glad you like it. I think it turned out the best of all the Ray Charles that I did.

10. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

[​IMG]

Just listened to this last night: The Ray Charles Story. Many of his great tunes for Atlantic Records. I'd pick "Mess Around" as a favorite.

11. dcgl22

dcgl22 Member

I had the pleasure of meeting Ray in Aug 1980, in Corpus Christi, TX. I was playing at his concert in the opening-act band with (now Nashville-based) Barry Coggins. It was a brief hello backstage before the show. I was pretty awe-struck and couldn't think of much to say, but I did notice something a little peculiar. Ray had a big mug of coffee he was drinking, but it had an unusual smell to it. We later asked his handler what Ray was drinking and he said gin & coffee! We were floored and thought it sounded like a disgusting combination.

Well the crowd was kind to us for our twenty minute set, then a break and Ray took the stage. He had a pretty big band with full horn section, and they were groovin. The crowd was really into it, and Ray was on. He sang his soulful *** off that night!

After the show we met with friends and had a cocktail or twelve and finally got to bet very late. The next day we basked in our brief fame (thank goodness for a polite crowd) then remembered the coffee and gin story and thought this would be the perfect time to give the “Ray Charles cocktail” a try. Well…. it’s really pretty good. Gin & coffee. Go figure. Worked well for the hangover too.

Ray was a genre blender, a true soul singer and national treasure. We miss him. God bless you Ray, we thank you for enriching our souls with your music.

DanG

Hep Alien likes this.
  12. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Made only with Dutch Bols Gin and Folgers Coffee Crystals.

Why settle for anything less?

13. sotet

sotet New Member

Great thread. I never saw Ray in concert, but I know more of his music than I had previously thought. I have a Rhino best of compilation. Among my favs: "Hit The Road Jack" and "Georgia on My Mind." Great entertainer, a true legend. :) You have met quite a few big ones, Steve.

I also enjoyed the recent movie about his life, Ray.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.