I Need a New Stylus

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by VinylGuy89, Nov 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VinylGuy89

VinylGuy89 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Here we go. I have an Lp120. I'm in high school. So far I have done everything on a budget by buying things second-hand. I still use the stylus that came with the turntable (bought in march, I think). I plan on giving my parents multiple options that are under $200.

Thanks

2. VinylSoul

VinylSoul Forum Resident

I think there is someone selling Denon DL160 for under $200 right now maybe on eBay. Getting tough to find good cartridges for less than that. LP gear has the AT-7V for $199 also both are decent for the money.

3. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Do you mean you need only the stylus, the needle? Or the whole cartridge? The cartridge will be good for 50+ years unless it is physically damaged somehow. You can replace the stylus alone.

Earlier AT turntable models came with some cartridge model I don't remember for sure. Later ones for at least the past 5 years have the AT95E cartridge with a green stylus mount. If you need only the AT95E stylus or needle, you can get an off-brand replacement stylus on ebay for $18 which will be ok enough, or a real AT stylus for $35. Search "at95e stylus". The off-brand one could be called "710-de" too.

If you have the earlier version turntable, I can look that up to be sure what cart it had.

4. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

How many hours have you put on it? What other equipment do you have? You might be better off sticking with a cheap stylus and spending that $200 on something else.

5. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

The AT-7V is a good suggestion for the table he has. A used DL-160 is a little overkill, and the stylus is not replaceable.

VinylGuy89 likes this.
  6. VinylGuy89

VinylGuy89 Forum Resident Thread Starter

It has the green needle. I am open to going for a whole new cartridge as well, as long as it is not too much.

7. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Then you have the AT 95e installed, styli for that won't cost you very much.

patient_ot likes this.
  8. Rad Dudeski

Rad Dudeski Forum Resident

Get a MicroLine stylus. You won't be dissapointed.

9. Long_SM

Long_SM New Member

I hope I can help you, I have been using Adonit mini 4 stylus and I am very satisfied, the tip is able to replace in the longtime.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.