I use zerodust gel and yet my stylus is still dirty

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ToxicSoundtracks, Jul 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarkD51

MarkD51 Audio Maniac

I wasn't giving the exact chemical or structural make-up of ME, that wasn't my intended purpose in my post to give a technical analysis, only to explain that it has the same potential as a shirt sleeve to rip out a Stylus, and even the Cantilever with it.

Why are people so hell bent on being argumentive in this forum? Are my comments that shocking, and that wrong, strange, or out of place with people here?

Is it the way I word and write my comments? Aren't the points I make clearly understood, or like I say above, that no two people ever seem to see eye to eye in this forum? You tell me?

2. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

dunno but I wasn't being argumentative, sorry if it came off that way- ME is just a neat material and the way it differs from cloth is part of what makes it interesting.

3. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

I've been using a Zerodust for about five years, and I do feel like the top surface is not as sticky as it was when it was new. It gets near-daily use, and of course I've rinsed it numerous times, so I feel like some loss of stickiness is probably to be expected. That said, mine does still appear to work, though there are times when one dip into the gel doesn't grab the bit of fuzz, and it takes another dip or two to get it off, and I don't recall that happening in the first few years of using this thing, so maybe it's time to replace it. I guess my point is, I can see how an older Zerodust might not be as effective in getting bits of fibers off a stylus.

On a tangent, sometimes I wonder if the Zerodust is really any more effective than simply using a dry stylus brush.

I also use Audio Technica's stylus cleaning fluid, since I use AT carts on both my turntables, but I only use it about once a month, or more of it seems necessary. I'd like to think that helps take care of any build-up of stuff not seen by the naked eye and/or which the Zerodust isn't pulling off.

4. mds

mds Forum Resident

When reading the title I thought I was on the wrong forum, basically it sounded like his hair gel, zerodust, wasn't working but he still was willing to go to his dirty hairstylist. "I use zerodust gel and yet my stylus is still dirty". I guess it is just me but I thought the post title was pretty funny.

matrix-6 and F1nut like this.
  5. Ecjjr

Ecjjr Well-Known Member

Try the DS Audio ST 50. Very effective. The best/safest stylus cleaning product I have ever used.

TommyTunes and gestalt like this.
  6. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member

I've often wondered if the sticky gel from the Onzow sometimes sticks to the stylus and picks up dust during play. I've had some bad experiences after using the Onzow, where I experienced a lot of distortion while playing records. Fortunately, I was able to clean off whatever it was with an alcohol solution. I don't trust those things. I would use a dry stylus brush first. If that doesn't work, I would try a stylus cleaner. I try to use chemicals on my stylus and records as sparingly as possible.

7. MarkD51

MarkD51 Audio Maniac

Like Record Cleaning, this is another topic that often contains lots of voodoo, quirky methods, and products to clean.

Like my one buddy Jay in Florida who claimed he always used nothing but denatured alcohol on his beloved Ortofon MC Cartridge to clean the Stylus. And how now it sits parked in a drawer with a collapsed Cantilever/Suspension. Hmm?

Wasn't it Linn that used to supply a Matchbook Cover to clean their Stylus' with?

8. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

Or simply wearing out a stylus tip prematurely. I have just always been leery of using ME as a stylus cleaner. It does seem like there are no perfect solutions. I have a variety of brushes, a zerodust, and different liquid cleaners. If one does not seem to work at the time then I will try another. Usually the liquid works the best, but I use it sparingly.

9. matrix-6

matrix-6 Forum Resident

What digital microscope are you using, BTW? I've been thinking of picking one up.

10. ToxicSoundtracks

ToxicSoundtracks Well-Known Member Thread Starter

matrix-6 likes this.
  11. marcb

marcb Senior Member

After dipping into and gently wiggling with (not swiping :tsk:) a small cube of magic eraser...

mikeyt and superstar19 like this.
  12. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Maybe they’re being argumentative because one doesn’t swipe the magic eraser to clean a stylus...so your shirt analogy is, at best, misleading.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  13. matrix-6

matrix-6 Forum Resident

Thank you! Purchased. Do you contact the company through Amazon or separately for the stand?

14. ToxicSoundtracks

you're welcome! i contacted them separately for the stand. i believe i got their email from the insert included with the item. definitely get that stand cause the one pictured is crap in comparison imho.

15. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

Tis why I use several methods to clean stylus. They all bring something new to the table, pun intended.

16. Spin Doctor

Spin Doctor Forum Resident

I've only used Last stylus cleaners for at least 30 years and never had a problem. Additionally, I've never been convinced that a Zerodust would be effective in what it's supposed to do. Maybe, if there is ONLY superficial dust present and ONLY if the gel medium is in practically new condition. Other than that, I see it as a waste of time and money. Others may feel differently, of course.

17. matrix-6

matrix-6 Forum Resident

Thanks! I will contact them. To keep this on topic, here are some pics I took with the microscope of my KABUSA ProS40 (Ortofon Fitz Geiger STY40) and my Nagaoka MP-200. I've been using an Onzow Zerodust to clean them for years and I love it. You know the Zerodust is working as after time you can see specs build up on its surface. I never had a problem with it. I just rest it on the platter, make sure nothing is moving, and I gently drop the stylus on it and raise for a total of three times in slightly different locations. It's gentler than dropping a stylus on a record as a record has no give, and it's not sticky enough imo to pull the cantilever to the point of damaging anything.

Here are the pics. It's interesting to see the difference in design between the Sty40 and MP-200. The MP-200 looks like the Matterhorn. :)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. ToxicSoundtracks

That’s cool. So this is from the same microscope I mentioned? Isn’t it great? I’m glad I was able to help you out!

19. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

The microscope pictures are great! All I use is a 10x loupe but I'm simply looking for stylus cleanliness (which I'm anal about). Not sure I could judge a stylus's condition using a microscope. I also have pretty limited experience with various carts having stuck to about a half dozen over the decades, usually with a standard elliptical tip. What I used longest was a Stanton 681EEE with their Stereohedron stylus and replacements back in the day. Always used a brush but never more than a low power magnifying glass so see the cleanliness. Over the last 10-15 years, I learned about Magic Erasers and Blu-Tac and they both work wonderfully when used ad advised. 99% IPA does as well when it becomes time for a thorough and *careful* cleaning. I've only owned MM carts where the stylus assembly could be removed.

matrix-6 likes this.
  20. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

See, here I thought "Zerodust" meant that it also dusts your TT, shelves, vacuums your listening room....... the name is misleading.... I mean, *zero* dust, right? What's up with this dust? I can see why the OP is not happy.

21. Lenny99

Lenny99 The truth sets you free.

I
    I use a stylus brush after every vinyl I play. Once in a while I use a liquid cleaner. I believe my stylus are clean.

BTW: I thought Ortofon advising against any liquid chemical cleaner because they claim it could weaken the cement bond that holds the stylus in place.

22. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

They do say that on their site. However, I read on another forum from someone who's opinion I respect that it won't happen. I don't own Ortofons anyway but I can attest to using 99% IPA on Stanton, AT, and Technics styli to good effect. Just gotta be careful and use the least amount (so a mostly dry brush) to get the job done.

TheVinylAddict likes this.
  23. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

I don't use it after *every* play, but one of my most used tools is the the $4.99 LP Gear angled brush with the short bristles. 90% of the time I respond to what I can tell is something got lodged or stuck (I live in AZ, lots of air / dust movement in summer) - the other 10% I'm proactive like you. I run multiple TT's so by nature I am more reactive, less special tools and doo dads, distill it down to what you really need.

Stubborn gunk? Pull out a loupe first to inspect, then the same brush with distilled and 99% of the time, done. The other 1% I just try again and it eventually comes off.

Lenny99 likes this.
  24. matrix-6

matrix-6 Forum Resident

Yep, same one. Can't believe it was only $20. Thanks again!

ToxicSoundtracks likes this.
  25. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

thinking of jumping in on the microscope .... it would be a first time for me ... i have an Ortofon Quintet Black S ... and live in a 1912 house still heated by coal fires and with a cat so as you can imagine dust of all kinds is an issue ...

ToxicSoundtracks and matrix-6 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.