“I want to cry so bad, but I don’t think I can spare the moisture.” R.I.P. Jessica Walter.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Mar 25, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gah! I love her as the ultimate psycho biotch in Play Misty for Me.
    R.I.P. Ms. Walter.

2. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

Sad news :(
    I enjoyed her work since I was a kid, I always think of her as Amy Prentiss, though there were only a handful of episodes.
    I am also a big fan of her husband, actor Ron Leibman who died just a little over a year ago.
    RIP Mr. & Mrs. Leibman.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  3. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

Isshe being forced to eat pool food?

Planbee and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  4. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Jessica and Ron Liebman:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Paul J and DorothyV like this.
  5. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

Very sad news.
    I'm a hug fan of both Arrested Development and Archer.
    I can't imagine either show without her presence.
    Perfect delivery of every line.

"Well, might as well open up an ant farm".

RIP

MikaelaArsenault and Planbee like this.
  6. violarules

violarules Senior Member

Jessica Walter created one of the most indelible roles in any sitcom as Lucille Bluth from Arrested Development. Every line, every delivery was pure gold. There was nothing and no-one like her.

It is a bit of a shame to see her talent and gifts to the art of television reduced to a bunch of decades-old sexy photos and references to her playing a "psycho b***h" on this thread. Even the title of this thread verges on reducing her to a sex object. I'm disappointed, but not surprised.

She deserves better, so I'll link this NYTimes piece about her gifts (and gifs).

As Lucille Bluth, Jessica Walter’s Pictures Said a Thousand Words - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

7. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

You must be seeing a different thread than me.

8. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

That's the mark of a consummate professional. Instead of refusing to say those lines, she tackled them head on and delivered them in a manner that suggested that she was aware of the dodgy connotations beforehand, with class I might add.

Bluesman Mark likes this.
  9. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

She was excellent. I really enjoyed her work.

Will be missed.

“Do you want ants? Because THAT’S how you get ants”

Planbee likes this.
  10. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here....

In my case since I watch little/no TV, I've never seen a single episode of Arrested Development so I was barely aware of her being on it.

The mark of a great actor is to bring a character to life, no matter how likeable or despicable the character is, & to be versatile. Jessica Walter obviously did both, & did them well, or else we wouldn't be remembering her great performances in Play Misty For Me, Arrested Development & other roles. And I'll bet she'd be very pleased to be remembered for all those.

Planbee likes this.
  11. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

:laugh:

[​IMG]

12. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

I normally don't tell people what to do or how to spend their time, but... :)

The first three classic seasons total only 53 half-hours (21-22 minutes, to be precise). You can easily skip the two Netflix reboot seasons, which were the textbook definition of "be careful what you wish for..."

13. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

Didn’t know this, when I heard about her passing, one of her roles that came to me was her playing his wife on Law & Order.

Both terrific actors.

R.I.P.

jwoverho likes this.
  14. Left Field

Left Field #1 Shinboner

Very sad to hear of her passing. Liked her in many film and TV roles, but one that hasn't been mentioned here was PCU, I thought she was wonderful as the University President.

RIP Jessica.

15. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I don't know if she was as snarky and acidic in real life as the characters she embodied later on in her career, but she really pushed those buttons in her performances. She had so much work that, I can't imagine her not being a pleasure to be around when out-of-character. It still brought her a sizeable following, and I hope that led to a gratifying and satisfying life off-camera.

Here's to an actress who brought the heat to her work, and I hope the scenery will eventually recover from all that subtly-masterful chewing.

Rest In Grace.

16. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

So sad. Now maybe Disney/Fox will get off their asses and release the latest two seasons of Archer on DVD in her honor.

17. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

RIP Jessica.

Lived a great life.

18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I got to work with Ms. Walter for 2 years on the Lifetime series Oh Baby, and there were occasional days where she could be feisty and difficult. But her character as the mother on the show was indelible, and she was a total pro -- hands-down the best actor there. And she could also laugh and have a good time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.