I will no longer sell on ebay.

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by JBStephens, Oct 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

not to mention tracking which is REALLY expensive. if you want to protect yourself on paypal you have to have tracking to prove delivery.

with tracking and insurance and I have had shipping costs come to that overseas.

2. Steel Horse

Steel Horse Forum Resident

Hi, this is exactly what happened to me today. I just received an e-mail from a US buyer whom threatens me that he has talked to Ebay and they say I have to honor the 3 USD shipping since I listed on the US site. My problem is that I have to put in time and effort to verify this with Ebay. I will never let this guy get the stuff for 3 USD. He knows this kind of trade like I do. He´s selling Mofis and DCC on Ebay and takes 8 USD for International shipping. He bought a perfect CCR Gold DCC (Cosmo´s) for 21.50 USD and got the nerve to dispute International shipping.

3. joachim.ritter

joachim.ritter Senior Member

That's easy - he is right and you are wrong.

Joachim

4. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

Steel Horse, can you indulge us by providing your eBay user id? You don't sound like the type of seller I'd like to do business with. Fair or not, partial to the buyer or not, this is eBay's policy,and shouldn't be interpreted as the buyer's belligerence when that buyer demands enforcement. You don't have very nice things to say about the buyer in this case, and he's well within his right to behave as he is.

5. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Tough love here Gents? ;)

6. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I don't sell on U.S. eBay anymore since they introduced their new shipping cost policy, which would force me to pay for most of the international shipping cost myself as Dutch international shipping rates are insanely high and the euro is still high against the dollar; I can't afford it.

7. Steel Horse

Well, I am doing what other International sellers do. I have to put in a maximum of 3 USD in the seller format. (When i try "other" as shipping and put in my actual shipping there´s a Red Alert)

So I clearly state in auction that this default value of 3 USD does not apply. I give my shipping prices to US, Europe and ask others to contact me. I also give information about reduced price with combined shipping. I ask people to wait for invoice before sending any money so there will be no confusion about price to pay including shipping. All this is seen in auction.

I have seen many other International sellers do the same. Some buyers have been to fast and didn´t read the auction info. They have paid 3 USD and when I explained about the problem they have sent more money. One buyer thought it was to much and of course received a full refund. No problemo...

Today a seller (who has not sent any money) after receiving my invoice, came back after a week with a mail that he will only pay 3 USD according to Ebay. My interpretation of these rules is that you can state other shipping prices for INTERNATIONAL shipping.

Maybe I´m the bad guy here, but what will happen to International shipping if you can´t state the real price in your auction? By the way my Ebay name is oryan666 if you want to see my auction record. I used to be a 100% (not a 1%).

8. joachim.ritter

Shipping a CD sold on eBay.com from Europe to the USA isn't considered "international".

Joachim

9. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Correct.

10. Jay F

Jay F New Member

How can that be?

11. Steel Horse

OK guys I need some advice. If you mean that International shipping is only from US to the rest of the world and not the other way, how do you sell on Ebay?

Do I have to sell on Ebay UK or is there some weird shipping policies there to?

All other non USA residents I have seen on Ebay have done the same as me. They put out the various shipping prices to different parts of the world in their auction and that seems to work fine.

12. joachim.ritter

From eBay.com perspective:
    shipping to US address: national
    shipping to non-US adress: international

Joachim

13. joachim.ritter

eBay.co.uk will introduce maximum shipping costs in January:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/sell/maximumPP_FAQ.html#maxcosts

"If you are listing your item on eBay.co.uk, maximum postage costs will apply for sales to the UK regardless of the location of your item."

For CDs it will be GBP 2.

Joachim

14. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

It seems to work fine until a buyer from the United States doesn't agree and files a complaint with eBay. And eBay will remove auctions when they find out the seller's rules are against eBay policy.

15. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Correct.

16. Steel Horse

OK guys I stand corrected. Seems like I have to stop selling on Ebay.com and try something else. I totally misunderstood the policy about International sales.

17. darbelob

darbelob Senior Member

18. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

The seller is using the shipping calculator. They're allowed to do that but the actual first shipping rate is still supposed to be within $3. I guess eBay can only audit the system to catch these violations.

I just chatted with a representative online and he said that I should report it to eBay Trust and Safely department???? Crazy.

19. darbelob

darbelob Senior Member

I don't want to report it. But it is crazy. You would think they could program the listings so that it just can't happen.

20. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

I don't think the seller is unreasonable so I'm with you. It's not about reporting the seller its about holding people to the same rules or getting rid of the rules.

21. houston

houston Forum Resident

I just started reading this thread, and I'm caught by these new shipping rules....I just won an auction, from an International seller (Europe), the ad stated $3 shipping, but his invoice to me says $14! so I will be a non-paying bidder, I based my bid on $3 shipping...and now I will avoid non-US sellers in the future, apparently others are doing the same, I was the only bidder for an item that I've seen get 7-8 bids recently, from US sellers

22. houston

houston Forum Resident

and BTW, some Ebay seller is listing false DCC gold cd's now, he's got several listed, I just reported him...I'm getting more disenchanted with Ebay, Amazon's business model is superior, and I do 90% of my buying there

23. Rafter242

Rafter242 Active Member

Why has nobody questioned the appearance of piracy here?

24. I just recently sold a bunch of CD's on eBay. I put them in with starting bids of 1.00 Euro. There was no fee to put the auction up with that 1.00 Euro starting bid. I also did get a gallery picture free of charge with that type of auction.

eBay takes 8% of the selling price for each item (up to a value of 50 Euros I think). PayPal fee for lower priced items is around 4% or so, but many items were paid via bank transfer with no fees (I kindly asked the buyers to use bank transfer method if possible, but of course it is also fine to use PayPal).

For some CD's I got less than I hoped for, for some others a little more. Overall it worked out o.k.

The fee structure is very clear on eBay, which I think is a good thing. Of course I don't have to make a living of selling via eBay, but whenever you are in a sales business, there is always costs associated with that. If you go to record show to sell your stuff, you get charged a fee for the space you use and you have to figure in cost for gas. Same often goes for flea markets. If you have a garage sale, then you don't really have any fees, but how much money do you get for a CD in a garage sale, and how many people are seeing your item?

eBay is still a great way to buy and sell stuff. Of course it did get more expensive over time, but every successful business increases their prices over time. And I really think they try to make it a little better by adding some new rules. Some of these new rules work quite well, others not so well and will probably change again over time.

Regarding the new max. shipping cost, it is a necessary effort in order to reduce some of the too high shipping prices which did get charged on eBay. It is absolutely reasonable to ship a single CD within the U.S. for $3. This is a reasonable rule. I think it is not so good that they don't allow sellers from overseas to charge more than $3 for shipping to the U.S., but I think this rule will change eventually. Some sellers outside the US found a workaround by stating in the auction description that for this low shipping rate, the CD will ship without jewel case, and if you want the jewel case, you have to select a different shipping method. Fair enough.

If you as a seller always want to ship priority mail, I don't understand this. Me as a customer, I always want the cheapest shipping method available, be it First Class or even Media Mail for more or bigger items. When I ship to a US address, the items usually remain there with a friend or family until I usually get the items a couple of months later or so. Why would I want these to be delivered within two days? But even if I was in the U.S., I don't mind to wait a few extra days to get the item cheaper. If I want it faster, I appreciate if the seller gives me the option of shipping via Priority at higher cost.

Another new rule was implemented recently, that sellers are not allowed to give negative or neutral feedback. This of course can be abused by buyers, but I think in more than 90% (probably more 98%) of the cases, it does not get abused. I think it gives a more open feedback towards sellers, and I appreciate that new rule, even when I sell stuff. I now leave positive feedback right after reception of payment. If a buyer really wants to screw me, so what? I am not afraid of a negative feedback, I can live with it. Of course if there is any kind of issue with one of my sold items, I try harder to keep the customer happy, which is a good thing I suppose, even if he is not really right and the item is exactly as described.

All in all, eBay is still a good place to buy and sell stuff, I think. Like with every successful business, there will always be people who complain about this or that (just take Microsoft as an example, how many people complain about them).

As far as the original poster goes. How much do you think is the oncost for a CD which sells at Best Buy for $15? Approx. 30% cost for selling something is not unrealistic. I can understand your complaint though, since you had to pay less % in the past, and nobody wants to take a cut in pay. I think Amazon Marketplace fees are much higher. I listed an item there, and they charged a lot of money, they even took out a big chunk of the shipping cost the buyer has to pay (I think around 30% to 40% or so). I haven't checked lately, but I don't think it is much cheaper to sell there. And you can get screwed by a buyer just the same there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.