I wish audio advertisers would stop . . .

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Mike-48, Dec 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

false news ?

2. 62vauxhall

62vauxhall Forum Resident

When Douglas Adams wrote Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, he nailed it - including advertising executives in the population's useless 1/3.

That entire industry should be completely abolished. It's immoral.

Just like fishing. Toss out the bait and wait for the stupid, the gullible, the easily enticed to bite.

Can't afford it? Hey, a bank can help you out - that's why they're there. And credit cards....introduced specifically to buy stuff you can't afford.

This is your invoice, sign here please.

No chance of any collusion....is there?

Mike-48 likes this.
  3. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

The pictures of the chick are at least 15 years old.

4. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

ODYSSEY AUDIO!

KILLER PRUDUCTS, AMAZING VALUE, QUALITY AMAZING, AS CLOSE TO SYMPHONIC LINE AS ONE CAN GET FOR A FRACTION OF THE COST.
    THE WEBSITE is horrible.

need photos, been this way for 10 years. need photos if the innards, etc etc.

5. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Let us go back to the 1960's. And while there was some overkill in specs, the standard in general for HiFi was higher, and consumers were more educated., magazine reviews were more demanding, and honesty was demanded.

PooreBoy, vwestlife and Mike-48 like this.
  6. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

ANOTHER HYPER-STUPID audio advertiser thing... mental reject sites and companies that list their speaker prices for EACH speaker, rather than for a pair. And no, we’re not talking for subs or center-channels, but for regular old floorstanders or bookshelf speakers.

What is the point of that continued idiocy? :crazy:

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
  7. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Not to mention that some of the models’ (staffers’?) outfits and poses with the gear is straight from the 70’s.

8. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

So let me get this straight...

We want audio manufacturers to not attempt to sell their goods using hyperbole. We want them to freeze prices. We want them to make sure they have websites, and that those sites are accurate and up to date at all times.

Other threads frequently show that we also want them to make high quality products, and we want them to stand behind those products when they fail, unconditionally. We want them to be innovative. We expect their products will sound great.

We reserve the right to destroy them online if anything above is less than expected. And, assuming they meet all of our demands and make a truly high quality, great sounding, reliable, attractive, well marketed and documented device - we will look to pick one up on Audiogon for half price instead of buying new.

Sounds like a really tough road for high end specialty audio manufacturers.

jerico, TheVU, mp29k and 4 others like this.
  9. Socalguy

Socalguy Forum Resident

Agree that advertising a price “per speaker” is pretty silly. Who buys one speaker?

Ezd, George P, juno6000 and 2 others like this.
  10. h46e55x

h46e55x What if they believe you?

Crystal Therapy, Aroma Therapy, Homeopathy, Marxism, Apple Fanboys, Supplements... I could go on...

riddlemay and Mike-48 like this.
  11. h46e55x

Mike-48 likes this.
  12. ishmaelk

ishmaelk Forum Resident

I wish they stopped printing ads in records. For example, I hate having ads in my Analogue Productions SACDs. I want original artwork only, nothing else.
    The inserts from MFSL don't bother me so much, I can always throw them away.

13. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

The stock photos and fake quotes are always good for a laugh. I've bought a few items from them here and there but they sell a lot of crap.

14. Silverwolf

Silverwolf Occasional Esoteric Freak

Agree with this... also speakers placed in terrible positions for quality sound in living rooms - too far apart, one next to a sofa etc. Usual high end stuff as well.

15. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

Occasionally I see sellers on eBay selling used speakers at a per speaker price. I'd love to just buy one of them some time to see how they react.

Micke Lindahl and eddiel like this.
  16. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

19 years...Try 15

As fast as AA....the catalogs have a Drew from DAK quality. Just better stuff

17. 62vauxhall

62vauxhall Forum Resident

Pricing single speakers when selling stereo pairs is illogical but nothing new. My first year in that business was 1980 and pricing speakers on an "each" basis was very common and it had gone on long before that.

It made some kind of sense from an inventory control standpoint when speakers were packed one per box but sometimes the box contained two yet ad copy adhered to per speaker pricing.

The big companies I worked for adopted Point Of Sale systems and despite per speaker pricing, typing in "quantity 1 " when selling a speaker SKU was not accepted by the system therrfore an invoice could not be generated.

That "failsafe" fell on whoever did data entry when new SKU's were created. Sometimes they slipped up and a single speaker could be sold. Other times, shippers or even sales people screwed up when a carton contained one pair. Many customers went home with two boxes (each with a pair) of speakers instead of the single pair they paid for.

18. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

This is also still rife in guitar/rock'n'roll gear marketing; I'm like, what is this, 1975?? ...

Blank Frank and Mike-48 like this.
  19. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Most bookshelf speaker's are priced per-pair and they are boxed, with a single pair in each box.

Tower speaker's are individually boxed and then sold usually on a per-box price.

That is the way that it has almost always been. There are some exceptions as many company's will sell their speakers by the pair.

The Pinhead likes this.
  20. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Unless you need to replace a damaged unit, that is.

21. Pancat

Pancat Senior Member

First world problems.

22. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

You forgot to mention websites that aren't being kept up to date.

23. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Go to www.americanradiohistory.com. Look at any of the HiFi magazines, and see AR's advertisements for in my opinion a model on how to do a HiFi advertisement. The company doesn't hard sell, use hyperbole, or pressure you. A good honest approach. 1960's reviews were often useful and the advertisements tended to be more rational in their approach. Study the era before HiFi became a commodity,

bucketsrb, Shawn and SandAndGlass like this.
  24. h46e55x

So go dig a pit toilet.

25. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

And while you are looking, see how many ad's there are, selling "audiophile" cables... :angel:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.