I Wish More Labels Besides MOFI Did 45RPM LPs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tomd, Jun 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomd

tomd Senior Member Thread Starter

I wish more labels (like Rhino) besides MOFI did 45RPM albums.I know the price is high and it spreads a single lp into 2 but the sound is Sooo worth it.Would rather see “another” version done this way as opposed to say-another color.Anyone else feel this way?

japhyman and markp like this.
  2. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Universal is doing this with the 1/2 speed mastering out of Abbey Road. Eno's albums are still in print. Peter Gabriel released his catalog this way. Analogue Productions has released a lot of them. Impex just released Michel Legrand's Jazz.

I don't think we need more. I bought the first set of Eno albums on 45 rpm. When they released the 4 ambient albums, I went with the 33 rpm versions.

3. Music Matters does a lot of 45s but have been merging more to 33s since folks hate flipping records so much.

That’s the actual reason. And probably lesser cost.

4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

5. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

Lots of 45rpm out there, what kind of music do you like?

6. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Not really, only where it warrants spreading a too long album over multiple pieces of wax. The worst thing about 45rpm sets is that you get a normal length album with 4 sides for the plant to screw up with pressing defects instead of 2 sides.

Even the better plants screw up more than I would like. They need to back to basics and focus on properly pressed 33rpm LPs.

c-eling and glide like this.
  7. japhyman

japhyman Forum Resident

If all reissues henceforth were 45rpm I’d be fine with that

8. 45RPM is designed, priced and marketed to appeal to music audiophiles and not the general consumer. As such you're never going to see a drive by labels to expand the availability of their titles for that format to any significant degree. And even as a dedicated longtime music audiophile, who appreciates the improved sound characteristics of 45RPM, I don't go out of my way to purchase them. In other words, I am very selective as to what titles I buy on 45RPM.

HenryH likes this.
  9. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

Absolutely.

45 RPM reissues are a godsend IMO, but because of cost, selectivity comes into play.

I appreciate all of the labels and artists that make these possible, and I’ll continue to purchase when I can, but I also realize these are limited to demand vs. availability.

I just recently bought three titles from MoFi:
    Kind of Blue
    I Robot
    Brothers In Arms

I’d been salivating over them for a little while, but I finally took the plunge. Can’t wait to give them a spin.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  10. I'm not into Jazz enough to go the 45RPM route, but I have no doubt you'll enjoy Kind of Blue.
    I have the other two and they are outstanding. You'll enjoy them!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.