Iain Matthews Appreciation Thread--solo, album by album + track by track (pg. 18)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lemonade kid, Jul 19, 2017.

1. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing Thread Starter

So this seems to be at youtube at least! I will cover it for us here, track by track as soon as I can get info on it!

it looks like Iain is releasing a bunch of old and new stuff!

[​IMG]

IAIN MATTHEWS WITH ANDY ROBERTS Live At The Bonington Theatre - Nottingham - 1991 - Angel Air Records

CD TRACKLISTING

1. A Wailing Goodbye
    2. On Squirrel Hill
    3. The Ties We Break
    4. The Economics Of The Rat And The Snake
    5. Back Of The Bus
    6. God’s Empty Chair
    7. Yo-Yo Man
    8. I Don’t Wanna Talk About It
    9. Just One Look
    10. Mercy Street
    11. Tonight ( New shirt)

"Andy Roberts and I go way back. 1970 to be precise. Yet, in 1990, we hadn’t seen each other, or even been in touch for nigh on eight years. Not since the demise of Plainsong and my move to California. All of that changed one chilly evening in Brighton and re-cemented our ongoing friendship up until and including last years lockdown.

Close to the end of the tour (on my newest album “ Pure and Crooked”), we ended up in the nondescript back room of a pub in Brighton. I knew Andy was somewhere in the area, but didn’t know how to contact him and certainly never expected to see him. It must have been the second, or third song when I scanned the crowd and low and behold, there he was, three rows back, dead center, with his then girlfriend (soon to be wife) Sal, beaming at me like the proverbial Cheshire Cat. My heart soared.

I’d like to tell you I remember details of the Bonington Theatre concert, but I don’t. After all, it was thirty years and a few hundred shows ago. I do remember that it was a family affair and we were playing a guest spot with Simon Nicol and Rick Sanders, our extended Fairport family. I do remember that touring and playing with Andy back then was always a blast. The performances never fell below an eight on the one to ten scale and this was no exception."

Iain Matthews
    January 2021

SquaRoots and oboogie like this.
  2. SquaRoots

SquaRoots The North Star Grassman

Given the fact that Iain recorded Joni Mitchell's 'Woodstock' on multiple occasions, solo as well as in various bands, I was wondering if he has actually covered any other JM songs.
    A quick search revealed a rendition of "Ethiopia" (track from Joni's 1985 album 'Dog Eat Dog') performed by
    MSC on their latest album The New Mine.

Anyone here know of any other Joni songs done by Iain?

lemonade kid and oboogie like this.
  3. lemonade kid

Iain Matthews...with Andy Roberts!
    Live 1991

[​IMG]

folking.com: Iain Matthews and Andy Roberts live in 1991

Live At The Bonington Theatre – Nottingham 1991 from Iain Matthews with Andy Roberts is issued on CD through Angel Air [Cat No SJPCD642] on 7 May 2021. The singer, songwriter and guitarist Iain Matthews has carved out a fifty year career in music, he features on more than 100 albums! He is best known as an original member of the mighty Fairport Convention, featuring on the albums Fairport Convention and What We Did On Our Holidays, before leaving during the recording of Unhalfbricking. He went on to set up Matthews Southern Comfort (who had a UK number one in 1970 with their poignant version of Joni Mitchell’s ‘Woodstock’). In 1972, after two solo records the year before, he formed a new band Plainsong, which was – initially – a short-lived project that also featured fellow guitarist Andy Roberts.

Since then, Matthews has considered to work; solo, with iterations of those previous bands, but also in new directions, such as his
    work with Dutch composer Egbert Derix. He remained in touch with Andy Roberts and they worked on many further Plainsong projects.

Iain himself takes up the story of their relationship and reunion, “Andy Roberts and I go way back. Yet, in 1990, we hadn’t seen each other, or even been in touch for nigh on eight years. Not since the demise of Plainsong and my move to California. All of that changed one chilly evening in Brighton and re-cemented our ongoing friendship. Close to the end of the tour (on my newest album Pure And Crooked), we ended up in the nondescript back room of a pub. I knew Andy was somewhere in the area but didn’t know how to contact him and certainly never expected to see him. I scanned the crowd and low and behold, there he was, beaming at me like the proverbial Cheshire Cat. My heart soared.”

And as for the show captured here? Back to Iain. “I’d like to tell you I remember details, but I don’t. After all, it was thirty years and a few hundred shows ago. I do remember that it was family affair and we were playing a guest spot with Simon Nicol and Ric Sanders, our extended Fairport family. I do remember that touring and playing with Andy back then was always a blast. The performances never fell below an eight on the one-to-ten scale and this was no exception”. That’s certainly true, Live At The Bonington Theatre – Nottingham 1991 doesn’t disappoint.

Label website: Home - Angel Air Records

‘Even The Guiding Light’ – live with Mark Griffiths:

oboogie likes this.
  4. lemonade kid

track 1) A Wailing Goodbye

A wonderful opening number that sets the tone for
    such a fantastic LP. (thanx to my friend "rw" for sharing this with me!)

:cheers: Enjoy everyone! An amazing surprise...a 2021 release!

Iain is a wonder!

Long may he run!!!

"This is a song about Hank Williams..."

oboogie likes this.
  5. lemonade kid

track 2) On Squirrel Hill (Jules Shear)

A great live reading of his wonderful cover from "Walking A Changing Line"
    As good as expected...Iain doesn't seem capable of ever doing anything less than
    his very best and that makes for amazing music.

Iain and Andy harmonizing so perfectly. Just Iain and Andy on vocals, no need for more.

oboogie likes this.
  6. lemonade kid

track 3) The Ties We Break

This just gets better and better...well, it's all great!!!

:tiphat: Hope you all are enjoying this wonderful 2021 release!

oboogie likes this.
  7. lemonade kid

track4) The Economics of The Rate & The Snake

Fantastic live version!
    I can't say enough how lucky we are to have this fantastic live document...stunning.

oboogie likes this.
  8. lemonade kid

Aside:
    A must from the great Cherry Red UK label

[​IMG]

Seeds and Stems: Cherry Red Collects Rarities from Iain Matthews on “Orphans and Outcasts”
    JULY 15, 2019 BY JOE MARCHESE
    Seeds and Stems: Cherry Red Collects Rarities from Iain Matthews on "Orphans and Outcasts" - The Second Disc

Few artists of the rock generation can boast as diverse a C.V. as Iain (sometimes Ian) Matthews.
    The Fairport Convention founder went on to front Matthews’ Southern Comfort and Plainsong as well as record under his own name in the pop, folk, country, and rock idioms, often blending those styles together. In his first decade alone, Matthews recorded for the Deram, Polydor, Island, Uni, Vertigo, Elektra, and CBS/Columbia labels – and at virtually every label, material was left behind. Between 1991 and 1999, the artist collected some of those outtakes, demos (of songs released and unreleased), alternates, radio performances, and live tracks on three limited edition volumes of Orphans and Outcasts. Cherry Red has recently brought those three installments back into print in a new clamshell-cased collection which premieres Volume Four of the series. These four discs trace not only Matthews’ songwriting and performing evolution, but offer further evidence of his eclectic tastes and wide musical knowledge.

The first volume covers the period of 1970-1979, beginning with a clutch of rich, harmony-laden, country-rock outtakes from Matthews Southern Comfort’s third album Later That Same Year and closing with a spare “songwriting memo” of Matthews’ composition “New Shirt.” Along the way, there’s a session with Richard Thompson, Gerry Conway, Andy Roberts, Pat Donaldson, and Ian Whiteman (highlighted by a bluesy take on Dylan’s “It Takes a Lot to Laugh, It Takes a Train to Cry”), a Vertigo-era rarity (a fine, buoyant version of The Flying Burrito Brothers’ “Christine’s Tune”), a quartet of songs performed on the radio by Plainsong, and even two expectedly shimmering tunes recorded with the enigmatic Emmit Rhodes: the power pop-esque “So Sad” and breezy Young Rascals cover “Groovin’.”

Volume Two picks up in 1981, and ends with the decade in 1989. Two demos from his work with the band Hi-Fi first show Matthews adapting to the 1980s: the rhythmic, steely “S.O.S.” and slick rock of “Better Not Stay.” Subsequent demos here, as Matthews admits in the liner notes, found him continuing on the path he first explored with Hi-Fi, and the acoustic sound of the past was replaced by a sleek, rhythmic sound. The back-to-back sequencing of “We Don’t Talk Anymore” and “Rains of ’62” offers some insight into his songwriting, as he experimented with lyrics to the same melody. Matthews ultimately reconnected with his own, purest muse by tackling the songs of others, and strong, sharp demos produced by collaborator Mark Hallman are included of songs by Jules Shear (whose work Matthews championed) and even Peter Gabriel.

Matthews opted to make Volume Three a true career retrospective, spanning 1966-1997. The earliest track, Alan Gordon and Garry Bonner’s “Me About You,” is familiar from The Turtles’ hit rendition. Here is the shelved second single from the group Pyramid, consisting of Steve Hiet, Al Jackson, and Iain Matthews. Though the arrangement is a bit lackadaisical compared to The Turtles’, Matthews was in fine fettle for his very first lead vocal. Other early tracks on this disc show off his beautiful, early acoustic folk sound and lush harmonies, including an a cappella version of “I’ll Fly Away” by Plainsong. The eight-track demo of Matthews Southern Comfort’s biggest hit – Joni Mitchell’s “Woodstock” – is suitably fascinating, capturing the essence of the song as powerfully as the final recording. The outtake “Sing Senorita,” recorded for the West Coast-inspired 1978 Stealin’ Home album (which yielded the hit “Shake It”), epitomizes Matthews’ countrified yacht rock style of the era. This disc almost completely overlooks the ’80s save for a Cliff Richard cover mooted for 1983’s Shook (a modernized “On the Beach”) and a pair of 1986 demos, jumping to the ’90s for solo and Plainsong demos (reuniting Matthews with Andy Roberts) as well as the tropically-flavored “Jaques and Tambo.”

18 tracks comprise the newly-compiled Volume Four of Orphans and Outcasts, mostly from the latter period of the artist’s career. The oldest track is 1978’s “Let Me Live Until I See You Again,” written by Rachel Faro and recorded with Matthews’ duo partner Bill Lamb. Even as a demo, the pop sheen of the track is evident. A 1988 live version of Steve Young’s “Seven Bridges Road” impresses as do many of the further demos, some for Plainsong, which Matthews has shared here. While some of the demos are more fully produced than others, all put the spotlight squarely where it should be, on Matthews’ gifts as an incisive songwriter. A one-take 1998 cover of Neil Young’s “Mr. Soul” is happily ragged. Bringing the collection full circle, the country influence present on his early recordings is richer than ever on his most recent ones.

Given the archival nature of this project, it’s unsurprising that sound quality is variable from track to track, but the set is eminently listenable and many of the older tracks sound surprisingly great. Oli Hemingway has mastered for this release. Matthews has penned informative and often pithy track-by-track liner notes for every song here as well as a new introduction for Volume Four; his introductions for the previous volumes have all been reprinted, too, in the deluxe 36-page booklet.

Orphans and Outcasts, in this top-notch presentation designed by John Sellards, is essential listening for any fan of Matthews, in any era. It’s not an ideal introduction to his oeuvre, and longtime fans will appreciate comparing the demos to the finished versions. But the set is a fascinating and worthwhile alternative history of an artist who’s never stopped exploring and honing his craft.

Iain Matthews, Orphans & Outcasts: A Collection of Demos, Outtakes, and Live Performances Vols. I-IV (Cherry Red CRCDBOX72, 2019) (Amazon U.S. / Amazon U.K. / Amazon Canada)

Volume 1: Out of the Egg

1. Touch Her If You Can
    2. Yankee Lady
    3. Belle
    4. Later On
    5. I Believe In You
    6. It Takes a Lot to Laugh, It Takes a Train to Cry
    7. Not Much at All
    8. Baby Ruth
    9. Hearts
    10. Christine’s Tune
    11. Seeds and Stems
    12. Spanish Guitar
    13. Tigers Will Survive
    14. Any Day Woman
    15. Poor Ditching Boy
    16. Even the Guiding Light
    17. So Sad
    18. Groovin’
    19. Let There Be Blues
    20. New Shirt
    Volume Two: Learning to Fly

1. O.S.
    2. Better Not Stay
    3. What Do You Wish You Could Be
    4. Perfect Timing
    5. Voices
    6. Action
    7. Change
    8. Rendezvous
    9. What the Wanter Wants
    10. Action and Intent
    11. Too Hard Too Soon
    12. Steady
    13. Your Heart Again
    14. Still I See You
    15. We Don’t Talk Anymore
    16. Rains of ’62
    17. Mercy Street
    18. Perfect Timing
    Volume Three: Three’s a Charm

1. Me About You
    2. Woodstock
    3. Hearts
    4. Home
    5. Never Ending
    6. I’ll Fly Away
    7. Sing Senorita
    8. On the Beach
    9. This Fabrication
    10. Except for a Tear
    11. Next Time Around
    12. God’s Empty Chair
    13. Jaques and Tambo
    14. Sing Sister Sing
    Volume Four: From a Hidden Pocket

1. Let Me Live Until I See You Again
    2. Seven Bridges Road
    3. Nothing’s Changed
    4. Voices
    5. Living in Reverse
    6. Restless Wings
    7. Leaving Alone
    8. Ballad of Gruene Hall
    9. Rooted to the Spot
    10. Even If It Kills Me
    11. Horse Left in the Rain
    12. Anchor Me
    13. Something Mighty
    14. Your Own Way of Forgetting
    15. Soul
    16. Stranded

oboogie likes this.
  9. lemonade kid

track 5) Back Of The Bus

A favorite by Iain -- classic protest song.

[​IMG]

oboogie likes this.
  10. lemonade kid

All of Iain's albums are covered here! Enjoy! And dscover new music from Iain...so great.

oboogie likes this.
  11. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Imagine you've covered it already but I picked up a CD copy of Iain's The Dark Ride album., in a second-hand shop today. Looking forward to giving it a listen.

lemonade kid and oboogie like this.
  12. lemonade kid

Yes, CW...The Dark Ride is one of Iain's best. Enjoy!

carlwm likes this.
  13. lemonade kid

Going off topic a bit (it IS my thread after all...:righton:..an you all can feel free to go off the rails too!). I like to share artists I think may be of interest to fans of the thread here...and elsewhere.

A rare and amazing singer songwriter from 1970...

Jay Bolotin 1970
    Self titled rarity from a great under-appreciated artist.

I guess it could be called singer songwriter/Americana with a Becht-Weill vibe.

Dear Father

Kris Kristofferson in 1970 called Jay the second greatest songwriter in America (next to John Prine).
    I'm Not Asking You

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPz9wpdC3t0

[​IMG]

carlwm likes this.
  14. lemonade kid

track 6) God's Empty Chair

Love this song always...for the passing of "Birth Of The Cool" Miles Davis it seems...
    Surely the night has descended, on Gods' empty chair...kind of blue.

A stunning live performance of this one. Since the tracks outro monologues seem to lead into the next tracks...
    below is the next.

oboogie likes this.
  15. lemonade kid

A fantastic oldie, for that ol' 1972 band that he and Andy were in...
    vocal by Andy...and Iain on harmony.

Love that OLD album...still have my NM vinyl.

track 7) Yo-Yo Man

Ha! I remember "RC Colas"!

[​IMG]

oboogie likes this.
  16. lemonade kid

track 8) I Don't Wanna Talk About It
    A lovely reading of the classic song by Neil's ol' friend and bandmate...
    the intro is at the end of the previous track above

oboogie likes this.
  17. lemonade kid

track 9) Just One Look

A completely different song than the classic Iain covered on his great "Go For Broke" LP.
    Love this one...a head bobbin', toe tappin', smilin' song.

oboogie likes this.
  18. lemonade kid

track 10) Mercy Street

One of my all time favorite covers by Iain (from Pure & Crooked)
    and to my ears is better than the original.

A fantastic acoustic live version...so fine!

oboogie likes this.
  19. lemonade kid

track 10) Tonight (New Shirt)

Another favorite from "Pure & Crooked" (I do believe Pure & Crooked IS my favorite Iain album
    amidst dozens of Iain favorites!)

With a new twist with a bluegrass fiddle!

oboogie likes this.
  20. lemonade kid

Hope you enjoyed this new release!..quite a nice surprise to get this gem in 2021!!

:righton:

oboogie likes this.
  21. lemonade kid

If I can get plays of this one...I will cover his newest next:

Iain Matthews – Fake Tan: Album Review
    BY JOHN BARLASS ON 8TH FEBRUARY 2021Iain Matthews - Fake Tan: Album Review – At The Barrier
    Iain Matthews revisits his back catalogue and repolishes some gems.

Release Date: 12th February 2021
    Label: Talking Elephant Records

Iain Matthews has a remarkable CV. From his formative days with “English surf outfit,” Pyramid, via Fairport Convention, Matthews’ Southern Comfort, Plainsong and an extensive solo career, he has ploughed diverse furrows that have seen him hailed as, amongst other accolades, the finest British exponent of the Americana genre. Since 2000, Iain has been resident in The Netherlands and last came to our attention in mid-2020 when he released the fourth album by the revived Matthews’ Southern Comfort, the excellent The New Mine.

Now, Iain’s back with a new solo album that revisits his extensive back catalogue to give us a string of interesting, sometimes radical, reworks of a selection of old favourites. The story goes that Iain had, for some time, been looking for a new musical direction, and a chance encounter with Norwegian promoter Tom Skjeklesaether resulted in Iain getting together with the renowned Norwegian backing band The Salmon Smokers to record and hopefully tour the rejigged songs.

Along with The Salmon Smokers – Eivind Kløverød on drums, Finn Tore Tokel on bass, Omar Østli on guitar and Freddy Holm on just about everything – Iain has recorded more than 20 tracks from his past archives, including favourites from his live sets, plus one completely new song. Eleven songs have been selected from this marathon session to form Fake Tan, an intriguing and wonderfully enjoyable collection.

Iain still sounds as fresh as ever and turns in some fantastic vocal performances. He’s lost the slight American twang that he acquired during his long sojourn in the USA and the boy from Lincolnshire is now clearly detectable in some of his vocal inflections, and that gives many of these songs a warm, comfortable feel. The band is outstanding; the backing is never overcooked and the instrumentation knits together perfectly, regardless of the musical style chosen to embellish these reworkings. That’s quite a range, encompassing jazz, Doors-like rock, swamp-rock, country, soul and even a splash of reggae! What these songs do have in common is a refreshing difference to their respective original versions. For Woodstock (the big hit, which topped the UK singles chart for three weeks back in 1970) we’re treated to tinkly guitars, a big chorus and a reggae-fied instrumental break in which the original pedal steel solo is replaced by distorted guitar and a soulful vocal from Iain.

Likewise, the new version of Battle Of Gruene Hall is a classy, jazzy, shuffle; 1998’s Something Mighty is reimagined as a folky, acoustic number that retains its punchy immediacy; Southern Wind (originally from the 1971 If You Saw Thro’ My Eyes album) is given a makeover that manages to retain its vivid Texan desert imagery and Iain’s soulful vocal treatment of Jules Shear’s epic Following Every Finger is backed by jangly mandolin and a lazy slide guitar. If all that’s not enough, Dylan’s It Takes A Lot To Laugh is given a completely new disguise as a swampy, guitar-laden gumbo that would slip comfortably onto Dr John’s seminal Gris-Gris album.

Fake Tan is an excellent album from start to finish. For me though, there are four tracks that especially hit the spot. The album’s sole new song, I Threw My Hat In, is an entertaining piece of abstract autobiography in which Iain recalls tribulations right through his journey from Muswell Hill and Fairport back in 1968 to Amsterdam in 2020. Reno, Nevada, the Richard Fariña song that was a staple of the early Fairport live sets and which has become an Iain Matthews signature song is reworked with a ‘Riders On The Storm’ feel on which bass and piano combine marvelously and Iain delivers yet another top-notch vocal. Iain excels similarly on If You Saw Through My Eyes, the title track of that 1971 album, and even more so on the CD bonus track, Keep On Sailing. Previously conceived as a big ballad, here it’s presented as a soft, folky number with some terrific banjo and pedal steel work to back up that awesome vocal. A sublime end to a tremendous album.

Watch Iain Matthews and The Salmon Smokers perform Battle of Gruene Hall here:

oboogie likes this.
  22. oboogie

oboogie Forum Resident

Man the lap guitar playing by Freddy Holm is wonderful.

lemonade kid likes this.
  23. lemonade kid

Iain Matthews & The Salmon Smokers – Fake Tan
    Label:
    New Noise (3) – NEWLP 6
    Format:
    Vinyl, LP, Album, Limited Edition, Clear vinyl

Norway
    Released:
    Genre:
    Rock, Folk, World, & Country