Iconic Jazz Label Candid Records Relaunches with Five Reissues of Legendary 60's Recordings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mpayan, Mar 16, 2022.

1. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off Thread Starter

2. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

Sigh just another new series to collect

YCC, nutsfortubes, recstar24 and 9 others like this.
  3. mpayan

Right lol. We are never satisfied.

2010:

"Whats with the lack of new jazz??"

2022:

"Whats up with all the new jazz?!?"

No keeping up. Just grab a few vinyl pucks and hope to stay afloat.

4. mpayan

btw, this was initially brought up in the Analogue Prestige Series thread by another forum member. So they called it first. Just figured it needed/deserved its own thread.

Jazz threads will soon take over those pesky Liverpool lads threads.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2022
  5. this_machine

this_machine Forum Resident

Someone mentioned these will be pressed at Independent Record Pressing. Did anyone catch the source on that?

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  6. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Pretty sure it was in the press release that Candid sent out.

Edit: maybe it wasn't in the press release. The VMP edition of Mingus Presents Mingus is being pressed at Independent, as detailed on their site.

7. Jerry James

Jerry James Rorum Fesident

I'm unfamiliar with Independent Record Pressing. What's their track record like?

Twinsfan007 and this_machine like this.
  8. Barney_Tabasco

Barney_Tabasco Forum Resident

I wonder if the Mingus and We Insist are worth holding out for as I was going to purchase the Pure Pleasure pressings.

9. MafiaHippie

MafiaHippie Well-Known Member

I'm wondering the same thing. The comments on Discogs about IRP are not reassuring.

10. Swordsandchains

11. JerryTurcotte

JerryTurcotte Forum Resident

This is great news. I can’t really do it right now, but nevertheless I’ll buy those 5. Less TP, less BNC, I’ll adjust my Contemporary wishlist, but those 5 are musically unmissable for me.

Hopefully, they’ll be some delays and all 5 won’t all be available on June 24th!!!

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  12. Swordsandchains

at least they will be cheaper than TPs

13. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

This could be really great.

14. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

15. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

The world needs a quality re-issue of We Insist! Freedom Now Suite -- and I'm happy this is a multi format including CD and streaming. More people should hear this amazing album, not just new vinyl fans, which has been available often in grey-market editions, or only in mono (the original stereo sounds very good as to all the Candid stereo recordings of this era), or in reissues where information about the original source is murky. Among the greatest albums of the era.

And Otis Spann Is the Blues is a terrific sounding recording for audiophiles who are interesting in good sounding blues recordings. Hentoff's modernist jazz recordings for Candid feature some of the greatest jazz of the era-- We Insist!, Out Front, The World of Cecil Taylor. Glad they will getting attention. I'm happy to know someone still has the original tapes, though there was precious little info about the sources in the release from Candid.

But its hard for me to muster up too much excitement for reissues of old, familiar music from the '50s or '60s most or all of which is otherwise print in some format or another. You know what would be great, Columbia reissuing Max Roach's Chattahoochie Red. I'm not sure that album has ever even been released on CD. So many jazz albums, especially of the '70s and '80s and '90s are out of print entirely, not like these Candids that have gotten lots of reissues over the years and are currently available in some format.

16. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

There is an all analog version Pure Pleasure edition of We Insist! Freedom Now Suite and it is very good. You are right though, this one needs to be heard and more widely available.

17. Harbins_Grave

Harbins_Grave Untitled Original 11383

IanL, mr.dave, Twinsfan007 and 3 others like this.
  18. mpayan

I get that the We Insist is a landmark album and its importance. I like the flow and the musicianship/music. Top notch. Creativity and a unique take on the subject matter.

Unfortunately I cant get past the vocals of Abbey Lincoln. She is a singer that her voice just doesnt click with me and it is made worse with the Odetta type folk/spiritual stylings (and I love Odetta). I keep thinking "Ok she is finished" and just when I start enjoying the playing, she starts speak singing again.

Sorry, dont mean to insult this great album but so far its not for me. I even have the Pure Pleasure version that Mike mentions. Bought it on a whim because so many praise the album.

Its kind of weird with me on these type more spiritualy based albums with heavy topics. Surprisingly I actually like some of the Black Jazz and Strata East albums with vocals. A few anyway. But stuff like Bobby Hutchersons Now with the continual operatic like choral singing, no, I just cant get into it. And Bobby Hutcherson is my favorite BN artist. Feel the same with A Love Supreme. The drone singing could have been left out and the album would stand just fine in purpose. Though at least with A Love Supreme the "singing" is brief.

I will continue to listen from time to time to We Insist, but so far, insisting isnt working on my ears. Kind of makes me sad because I really do enjoy the instrumental aspects of the album. I think it gets the idea and material presented across very well without vocal explaination.

Excited for a couple of the other titles though. And hopefully many more.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2022
  19. Swordsandchains

Strata definitely has some crazy vocals but i enjoy them (most of the time). One of my favorites is the Ensemble Al-Salaam - The Sojourner album. If you want some music to make your wife divorce you, thats the one.

ubiknik, puelche, mr.dave and 2 others like this.
  20. bruinuclafan

bruinuclafan Forum Resident

Thanks for that heads up as I was looking at that one recently. How about "Jooohhhnnnnn Collllll-Trannnneeee" in Glass Beads games? I actually thought that was pretty cool.

recstar24 and Petter Premberg like this.
  21. Swordsandchains

i actually have never heard GBG, but i see its coming back in stock some places so maybe ill pick it up but those new PP prices are terrible

bruinuclafan likes this.
  22. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

I wish there were CD's or SACD's too but this is great news. I remember when We Insist! was tough to find on CD. It was barely made available and the CD was clearly a needle drop which was especially frustrating. Just having it properly mastered (and hopefully well-mastered) is cause for celebration.

23. Swordsandchains

they are releasing CD versions too
    CANDID Records

C6H12O6 likes this.
  24. bruinuclafan

bruinuclafan Forum Resident

Yeah, atrocious prices for sure, especially since I don't think it's AAA. Great music on GBG though...

25. keylime_5

keylime_5 Forum Resident

I emailed Candid and this is the response they gave me about these Candid reissues:

"We received information from the label that these were cut from the master tapes.

We hope this information helps.

Have a great rest of your day.

Thank you and take care!

Misty
    Customer Support"

Jerry James and mpayan like this.