Iconic Jazz Label Candid Records Relaunches with Five Reissues of Legendary 60's Recordings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mpayan, Mar 16, 2022.

1. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

Oh my gosh -- I used to go there regularly, years ago, when I was at McGill. So pleased to hear they're still around. :)

Since the question has been asked (though of the vinyl, I presume), I ordered and received all the recent five titles on CD from amazon (US).

Last edited: Aug 30, 2022
  2. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

I just wrote them as well. These aren’t represses from June- they’ve never been released. None of these have been released in America I don’t think.

edit- my bad I just realized you’re not in America. At least here, the items have never had any option on the website besides “pre order”.

Spazotron3000 and this_machine like this.
  3. neubian

neubian Forum Resident

For the last batch of releases, I ordered directly from Candid and received them all at once. Yes, the shipping price was a bit high (especially when comparing to Amazon Prime free shipping), but at least they arrived with no issues.

I just went to the Candid site and ordered all the releases that has an August 26 release date from Candid. It still says these are "pre-orders" so perhaps the release data has been moved. If you read the product description of the Wayne Shorter double LP release it indicates a date of "September 9" so maybe the others are delayed?

I had preordered these same new releases from Amazon US as well, but they now show a much higher pre-order price and it indicates shipping from Amazon Japan... I will probably just cancel my Amazon US pre-orders at this point.

bluemooze likes this.
  4. Patanoia

Patanoia Third Ear Centre

I had pre-ordered the Booker Little from Amazon US and got an email on Aug 26: "We're encountering a delay in shipping your order. We’ll make every effort to get the delayed item to you as soon as possible. If you still want this item, please confirm below. We apologize for the delay." When I clicked on the link to approve the delay, I was thrown into a loop where it kept asking me to approve. However, I did get multiple emails later confirming my order.

5. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

From the UK?

6. challenge

challenge Forum Resident

Patanoia likes this.
  7. beginthebegin

beginthebegin Harmonicat

Has anyone seen these in any shops in the US? Pretty much giving up on Amazon. Might try direct from Candid...

8. YouCantWin

YouCantWin Lacking in Some Direction

Same here. I had preordered three of the newest bunch from Amazon but got the same message as everyone else on the expected release date. I placed an order with Candid this morning. I had luck with them last time. We’ll see what happens this time around.

9. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

In America?

10. neubian

neubian Forum Resident

11. neubian

neubian Forum Resident

Online. The prices are in dollars and shipping priority mail.

They charged me $17 shipping plus sales tax for the for a total of $165.98 for the 5 previous releases ($26.98 each).

This preorder was for 6 records (one was a double LP). Total was $217.08 (including priority mail shipping of $27.79 and sales tax).

Mugrug12 likes this.
  12. Dai

Dai Note to self: listen to Clifford Brown more often

UK news... my local bricks & mortar have been told by their distributor that Out Front is out on 23rd Sept. I only asked about that one album.

JerryTurcotte and Mugrug12 like this.
  13. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I see that Mingus (companion album to Charles Mingus Presents Charles Mingus) is being released as an "RSD First" edition on Black Friday this year:

RSDBF '22 Special Release: Charles Mingus - Mingus

[​IMG]

Presumably that means it will also be available after Black Friday.

14. Aleksander86

Aleksander86 Forum Resident

Im in the same situation

Patanoia likes this.
  15. TheTalkingDrunk

TheTalkingDrunk Forum Resident

bluemooze, uzn007 and Patanoia like this.
  16. Patanoia

Patanoia Third Ear Centre

17. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

Love it... they can barely get the regular issues to the normal online retailers without delaying them 4 and 5 times.... but they've got two releases ready for RSD.

Sorry to threadcrap here... but this resurrection of the Candid label has been a lot of smoke, but no fire.

18. this_machine

this_machine Forum Resident

These are the best reissues you'll never hear.

19. JerryTurcotte

JerryTurcotte Forum Resident

You might be right. The Booker Little and Booker Ervin totles of the so-called second batch totally disappeared from Candid website.

The World of Cecile Taylor, which was set to be release the same day, still have a pre-order status without any date.

At this point, it would be nice of Candid to explain what’s going on (it can be a simple : « sorry folks , we didn’t know pressing plants were so backed up ») I suspect there might be some other issues at stake but it is pure speculation on my part.

20. YouCantWin

Both are still on the Candid website.

Out Front
    That's It

JerryTurcotte likes this.
  21. JerryTurcotte

JerryTurcotte Forum Resident

You’re right. It seem I can’t search the web anymore. Thanks!

YouCantWin likes this.
  22. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

Amazon confirmed I'm getting Lightnin' Hopkins October 5th .

JerryTurcotte and this_machine like this.
  23. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

we will believe it when we see it

24. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

25. YouCantWin

Those listings are for the Pure Pleasure reissues of those Candid titles, not the current batch of reissues direct from Candid.

mike_c, bluemooze and this_machine like this.