If you don't want a Bluesound Node 2I - what is it's competition?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ls35a, Dec 25, 2021.

1. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident Thread Starter

Bluesound is selling Node 2I's like Battle Creek Michigan is selling corn flakes. It's crazy popular.

So does it have any competition near it's price range? Has any other company figured out, 'gee, this is what people want' or are they all still trying to target the 'drives a Ferrari' customer?

It's obviously the most popular streamer. So what's the second most popular?

2. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

Sonos pretty much just works. Their "Port" competes with the Node. No "hi-res", though.

70sEraDylan and Bevok like this.
  3. Roger P

Roger P Forum Resident

If you have or want to use Amazon music, no there nothing in its price range that will compete or work with amazon
    There are other streamers in that price range, they just do not do Amazon.
    I think you might be able to use HEOS based streamers for amazon music not sure though
    What are looking for the streamer to do? What services are you going to use?

Tim S likes this.
  4. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I own the Connect, the Port’s predecessor, and agree that Sonos just works. There are limitations though. The internal DAC is crap, so plan on using it as a transport. In addition, Sonos can’t handle files above 24/48, so don’t plan on streaming hi-res or MQA.

Amazon does run on HEOS, but the interface doesn’t allow you to access your saved albums. Terrible API.

ls35a likes this.
  5. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Volumio Primo seems like a great option. I have one of the earlier Arylic streamers and it works great. DAC doesn't measure that well, but they have an updated version on it.

Bevok and Mike-48 like this.
  6. saturdayboy

saturdayboy Forum Resident

Nothing matches it’s combo of sound quality & user interface/app for a stand alone streamer.

maellen, bajaed, timind and 8 others like this.
  7. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

No Hi-Res is a huge negative IMO. So I don't see the Sonos as competing with the Node 2i due to not having Hi-Res capability.

8. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

I think the main difference - the thing that sets the market leading BlueSound and Sonos apart (with the caveat of it's hi-res limitations noted) - is the slick user experience.
    I've seen some reviews discussing some budget friendly alternatives that may eke out a little more SQ but invariably the reviewer will come back to the positives of the user experience, which counts for a lot in my book.
    I am biased though... I own a NODE which superseded the Node 2i earlier this year and it works great.

Bananas&blow and ls35a like this.
  9. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I own both systems and feel the Sonos interface is slightly better. If you subscribe to multiple services, searching for an artist or album in Sonos shows availability in all of them, where BluOS requires you to search each service separately.

Bananas&blow and hifisoup like this.
  10. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

I haven't owned a Sonos, but what you have said regarding BluOS is true and I do find that frustrating at times. Also - unless I'm doing it wrong - when I go to Spotify (specifically) it doesn't seem to be properly integrated under the BluOS umbrella so I have to leave the app and go into the Spotify app separately which granted easily connects to the NODE which shows up as an available device to connect to... so not a biggie really #firstworldproblems

TIDAL works fine.

In any event that seems like a small price to pay to avoid Sonos's limitations regarding high res or MQA playback?

11. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

This is the reason I have a Node on my primary rig, but purchased Sonos sound bars and single speakers for whole house, non critical listening.

BayouTiger and Toneh like this.
  12. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

That makes perfect sense and if I ran the two systems alongside each other is exactly what I would do too.
    For the non critical/around the house listening scenario you've described I can't think of a better system than Sonos.
    Have a bunch of mates who use their portable Sonos speakers this way and they sound great.

cdash99 likes this.
  13. Francois1968

Francois1968 Forum Resident

The Argon Audio SOLO apparently seems to be more than great for the money..........SOLO

Last edited: Dec 26, 2021
  14. fried

fried Forum Resident

My Bluesound stopped working at the end of 2020 and I had to wait 10 days for it to be repaired (wasn't sure if it was possible), so I started looking at other options. My wife even said I could spend more as Christmas was coming. After extensive research I was really happy that the Bluesound was repairable. The app is all as far as I'm concerned. If I ever have to change it I'd go for a Raspberry pi solutions, even if I could spend 3 times the amount. Or you could pay more and get someone else to put a Raspberry pi in a nice box for you

15. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

Interesting

16. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

Has anyone heard Cocktail Audio stuff (from Korea)?

NOVATRON

bever70 likes this.
  17. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

The Nodes use "Spotify Connect" instead of an integrated app (like Amazon, etc.) This makes the integration feel wonky IMHO. Moreover, Spotify will default to Autoplay (without the ability to turn it off...a recent change) when connected that way. This disrupts the "album play" experience since it will just keep on playing related tunes after an album ends. One could use the AirPlay function of the Node to prevent that, but it's another step to get there.

Toneh likes this.
  18. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I like playing files from hard drives connected to my Oppo players and thought about a component like the Node 2i. But reading about it in various threads her it seems a bit complicated with numerous settings on the Node 2i and related streaming apps. It makes one that is not well versed in technology (moi ;)) to just stick with playing discs or less complicated devices like the Oppos.

barondla likes this.
  19. shug4476

shug4476 Nullius In Verba

If you don't need Hi Res, use a Chromecast Audio. For ease of use, nothing beats it.

izeek likes this.
  20. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

It is not hard to play from USB devices on the Node. However (always a caveat), the Nodes are picky with artwork so all of it might not show without some fiddling.

21. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

For me, the Airport Express is almost the perfect device. If it would just let me configure so my iPad would stay connected. Else, I have to reconnect between sessions. Will the Chromecast Audio do that? Can it be used with Apple devices?

izeek likes this.
  22. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

It's super easy to set-up and use, even I did it. :magoo:

Tim S, pressureworld and Bill Mac like this.
  23. shug4476

shug4476 Nullius In Verba

Interesting. I run an Airport Express from my MacBook for my CD collection which I've ripped to the HDD.

What are you trying to run from your iPad? iTunes?

24. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

I also have a Mac (iMac) and it always stays connected to the AEX. I use the Remote app on an iPad to control the playback to my stereo and works great.

I like to use Spotify from my iPad and listen on the stereo, as well. However, I always have to reconnect it to the AEX. Not a huge deal, but I'd like it to stay connected like the iMac ideally.

25. Rich-n-Roll

Rich-n-Roll Forum Resident