If you don't want a Bluesound Node 2I - what is it's competition?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ls35a, Dec 25, 2021.

1. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Yes, and I even know how to drive a command line well enough, if graphical point and click won't do it. And I once used Unix and BSD (and use the latter occasionally). Your point is a good one. And for home use, works for playing music easily. I also know how to make a small desktop or all in one, let me create (needledrop) and rip and play music well if the correct audio card is installed, or USB interface if bigger is needed. I use Linux daily as my main daily OS, for most things, have a MacBook if older for what I need one for. Which is BSD underneath the MacOS or OSX before this like my oldie. And I hope to get a newer nicer, Mac of some kind.

pscreed likes this.
  3. Gizmo90

Gizmo90 Ashes to ashes, funk to funky

WiiM is a no go for me until they update the firmware to support other sampling rates then resampling everything to 48khz. Don't want to get one to find out they never update it.

4. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Not sure why you wouldn't want a Bluesound Node or Vault.
    I've had both for 4 years and can't imagine anything better or easier to operate. :righton:

Aardvark23, Glmoneydawg and Art K like this.
  5. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

My updates say they added 24/192 output to optical SPDIF on 2/17/2022.

RoyalScam likes this.
  6. telemike

telemike Forum Resident

Updates to be
    released by 3/31
    New Features:
    • New music service: Calm Radio
    • New music service: Sound Machine
    • Bit-depth and sample rate information added to app UI
    • Custom URL so users can create their own station
    • Two-way Bluetooth communication
    • User can select 5G band only for WiFi and other WiFi band and info added
    Performance Improvements:
    • Audio quality improvements for both analog and digital audio output when using digital volume control
    • Playback smoothness for Spotify Connect and other music services
    • Improved In-App feedback support
    Updates to be
    released by 4/15
    New Features:
    • Universal Search - Search across multiple music services
    • Favorites section - User's favorite tracks, playlist, stations, podcast, and recently played are listed in the favorites section of app
    • Preset function - Double-click play/pause on WiiM Mini device to play preset music services, playlists, radio stations without using the app.
    • Users can select streaming quality in the "Now Play" app UI
    Performance Improvements:
    • OOBE experience improved by separating network connection status update from device discovery
    • Improved current play queue operation
    Updates to be
    released by 4/30
    New Features:
    • Amazon Ultra HD support
    • TIDAL Master support (bypass MQA)
    • 48kHz/24 bit supported on AirPlay 2
    Future updates
    New Features:
    • EQ to set bass, mid-range, and treble
    • Audio balance left and right channels
    • Support SMB for music sharing
    • New music services such as SoundCloud, Pandora, SiriusXM, Radio Paradise, Nugs.net,etc.

7. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

Darko’s WiiM Mini review:

Spokeless, izeek and BilboAlaska like this.
  8. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

The price of these have been slashed lately. I bought a refurb one for a single purpose to be a Spotify Connect node. It works well and sounds very good IMHO. Otherwise, the DTS PlayFi app is a train wreck. It does not even attempt to be gapless. I would call the gaps more like "chasms"! I still scratch my head how Audiolab let this one leave "the lab". Anyway, I never open the app with Spotify Connect (and it is gapless).

I did not like the "smiley face" EQ of the Node 2 (to my ears). Later versions might be better...dunno.

9. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Rich-n-Roll likes this.
  10. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

11. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

I guess. Pretty standard. It's got two dig outs for your favorite DAC if desired. I guess these things can do 24/96 wireless but it has to be LDAC, whatever that is. Not a bluetooth expert. At any rate, looks legit for $170. They sure do advertise enough all over my email and social media. This pro version has a now playing display unlike the cheaper one.

12. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I just bought a WiiM Mini but the bluMe looks interesting. The issue I see with the bluMe is that you would need a device that has LDAC Bluetooth to get hi-res. I'm assuming when using an iPhone you would not get hi-res because it does not have LDAC Bluetooth.

Boltman92124 likes this.
  13. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Forum Resident

Darko has a review where he says it doesn’t do hi res, but he was wrong. Not sure if this is video in question since I am at work and can’t stream it. I did a video for the first time in a long while as a response to the false claims on that video.

It is being reported that they are coming out with a. Pro version of the Wiim later this year that also has coax along with a few other hardware features. It is supposed to be in the $149 range.

Personally, I didn’t want a Bluesound because it lacked support of DLNA. Not sure if others care much about that, but it made it a “no go” for my needs. The Wiim supports DLNA along with its many other features.

Tawaun A Williams likes this.
  14. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

Yep i resisted/feared the streaming thing for years....the Node2i is so intuitive to use(and sounds great:))that even a computer simpleton like me can breeze through any streaming app.

Bananas&blow and Tim 2 like this.
  15. Night Version

Night Version Forum Resident

A used Linn DSM for $1k will blow away the Bluesound and it’s a legit pre-amp (or integrated if opting to use the internal power amp) complete with a good phono stage.

16. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Just connected the WiiM Mini to my system. The setup was very easy even though I’m seriously computer challenged. Put on some familiar albums on Tidal and it sounds great IMO. Glad to have a simple inexpensive device to be able to play Tidal on my main system.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  17. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I can happily report that Tidal through the WiiM Mini is gapless. Playing Floyd's DSOTM and there are no gaps between the tracks. For some the WiiM Mini might be too basic but for $79.00 from Amazon Prime it's a straight up bargain. Does exactly what I need with no features that are not needed that would make it more expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09HC5GRK...63C9BD0B6B4ED4_afap_abs&ref_=aa_maas&tag=maas

britt2001b and ubiknik like this.
  18. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Forum Resident

Yep, it’s an absolute bargain. They are constantly updating it with new features, as well.

Bill Mac likes this.
  19. Anonymouse

Anonymouse Active Member

24/96 isn't considered Hi Res anymore?

20. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

So this device looks like an Echo DOT. For me, it seems to work with Airplay (not needed) and Alexa (also not needed). I just want to add bluetooth in any flavor as a source for my old school rig. What I do want it to do is connect with any phone or tablet(even my TV) with any of the streaming services and provide analog output to my line stage preamp or digital to my DAC. This device looks like it only provides mini plugs as well. Am I missing something? The Auris Blu Me looks much nicer for around $100 or even the Blu Me Pro for $170.

21. superultramega

superultramega Forum Resident

It's a matter of deciding if the bluetooth vs 24/192 sound quality is more important than RCA vs mini plugs. I would go 24/192 streamer to separate DAC to old school rig.

22. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

Very nice! Are you playing the WiiM via the DAC in your Ruby? I imagine that is a fine sound.

23. edo.t

edo.t Forum Resident

So many reviews of the WiiM Mini on Amazon mention drop outs & wifi connectivity problems. Any of you guys getting that? If they do a pro model hopefully it will have ethernet in.

24. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Thanks. I was planning on connecting to my DAC. For the WiiM, how do you connect your devices wirelessly? Just through WiFi only? Auris says the Blu Me HD supports 24 bit playback via Bluetooth. Thanks for saving me some time!!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2022
  25. superultramega

superultramega Forum Resident

Sure. I don't have the WiiM device but I have used AudioEngine streamers for the last 10 years and they use the same LinkPlay Tech modules. Assuming similar functionality...I can connect using Spotify or Qobuz apps or the device's own app all from my phone thru WiFi, Bluetooth or Airplay. Spotify and Qobuz apps are easier and faster to use.