If you had $1000-$1500 for an Integrated Amp and Speakers.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Cosmicott, Aug 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ro-Go

Ro-Go Forum Resident

Find a used Rega Elex-r.

bhazen and GyroT like this.
  2. Helom

Helom Forum member

Yes, highly recommend the Rega Elex-R, or if you can stretch your budget, the new Arcam SA20.

3. zboski

zboski Forum Resident

I'm looking at getting this amp now. Most of my equipment doesn't get as much love as this beast. Will it improve the natural sound and warmth im looking for?

4. Helom

Helom Forum member

The Yamahas have a slightly recessed midband but that does lend a bit of warmth (contrary to popular convention, perceived brightness is usually the fault of upper mids, not treble).

System synergy is always a factor, however, so if you have bright speakers or a reflective room, the Yamaha might not be enough. What you will definitely get is bass quality that's only surpassed by $3K^ amps, along with a large dose of real high-end sound in all other respects. If you want a more purist solution, the Rega Elex-R is a great value. Either are leagues ahead of the Sphinx IMO.

bhazen and zboski like this.
  5. zboski

zboski Forum Resident

I have Boston acoustic vr 40s with a project tubes ds

6. Helom

Helom Forum member

BA speakers tend to have a balanced tone IME. The 801 has tone controls that are mostly transparent so you can adjust to taste.

zboski and bgiliberti like this.
  7. bgiliberti

bgiliberti Will You Be My Neighbor?

If warmth is what you're after, you might want to compare the Yamaha with the Marantz integrated in this price range. Marantz is voiced a bit towards warmth. Full disclosure, I haven't listened to the current models of either. Last time I did (several years ago), they were both lovely in their way -- can't go wrong IMHO.

zboski likes this.
  8. zboski

zboski Forum Resident

I just ordered it im waiting like a kid on Christmas!

Bob_in_OKC and bgiliberti like this.
  9. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

I have a Yamaha A-S501 paired with Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 bookshelf speakers that I am very happy with. They would set you back about $1270.

zboski likes this.
  10. zboski

zboski Forum Resident

I'm impressed with all the love yamahas get. I might upgrade my speakers in the future. I want to first see what they can do when properly driven. I have Boston acoustic vr40s I got off a friend for $150

11. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

I’ve heard a lot of the modern Yamahas and the only one I wouldn’t recommend in its budget bracket is their base model receiver at $150. I found it completely lifeless. You’d probably be better going with the comparably priced Sony model if thats really all you could afford.

12. bgiliberti

Uh oh, do you mean the Yamaha R-S202? My daughter is thinking of ordering one.
    [​IMG]

13. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Yes. Well, I had actually listened to the S201. Maybe the latest model is better, but I wouldn’t bet money on it. I’d sooner spend the extra $100 and go with the base A/V receiver.
    Or better yet the R-N303 for $300. At least it has a phono input and can connect to the Internet.

bgiliberti likes this.
  14. bgiliberti

Thanks, will let her know.

15. Dbacksrule76

Dbacksrule76 Forum Resident

Rocking the 501 with Klipsch RP600’s, love the sound I get, the Klipsch bookshelves tend to be a little bright but a little room conditioning and leaving on the grills really help and sound natural as can be.

16. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Do you know what she is planning to use it for? If it is just for blutooth then she may be okay with the 202. Blutooth isn’t really hi fidelity anyways. Not in my opinion anyways.

17. bgiliberti

Actually, you were a lifesaver. I switched her to the N303, because once I explained the difference, she wants the Musicast, the WiFi, and the COAX/optical for her smart TV. She’s still learning. She’s driving modest Polk Monitor Series II floor standers, so I think the N303 is fine, even if the guts are basically the same as the the 202. It’s the connectivity that she really wanted. Also, she’s using a ten year old onkyo 50W 5 channel AVR that she bought for $45 bucks on Craigslist, so this will still be a nice improvement. Bottom line, she’s very excited to be getting a new amp for her system , and I appreciate your insights.

patient_ot and Isaac K. like this.
  18. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

I’m very glad to be of help! :)

19. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Corners have to be cut on these entry level models, doesn't matter if it's Sony, Pioneer, or Yamaha, etc. The Yamaha AS-series is definitely better but also costs more. For someone on a very tight budget I don't think this Yamaha is too bad. The cheap Sony that competes with it has had issues too, like going into failure when pushed on a bench test, or the on-board phono stage crapping out.

20. bgiliberti

On thing I noticed is that the the power specs on the cheaper amps are usually 40-20,000 instead of 20-20K. Is there any way to say what the RMS of a 40-20K would be if expressed at 20-20K. This one is 100 at 40-20k, but it wouldn't surprise me if its quite a bit less at 20-20k.

She did consider the AS 301, which I'm sure is better, but she really wanted the greater connectability of the receiver she ended up ordering, the Yamaha N303, which looks to have the same budget-type amp section as the 202. But, I must say, the features are impressive -- MusicCast, WiFi, a DAC. So, I think she'll be a happy camper. I mean, she's 23, thrilled to have her first apartment, and I said to her, take it one step at a time, learn as you go along.

Isaac K. and patient_ot like this.
  21. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

Did you ever get the Human 81s? If so, how do you like them?

22. Wasabi

Wasabi Forum Resident

There are some nice used deals on the original KEF LS50 Wireless speakers out there.

Echoes Myron likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.