If you had a Time Machine what Vinyl would you buy and the year?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Floyd Crazy, Nov 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Malinky

Malinky Almost a Gentleman.

LET`S GO!!..........

[​IMG]

2. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Probably the 1950s for all of the Blue Notes.

Man at C&A, BrentB and DeRosa like this.
  3. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

You do realise that once time travelling will be possible, there won't be any rare and expensive record anymore, right ? :)

4. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Like others have said, 1967 to pick up as many "torso" covers of the Velvet Underground & Nico as I could find.

Giorgio and Floyd Crazy like this.
  5. Like all get rich quick schemes you've got to get into the game early to win.

Zongadude likes this.
  6. APH

APH Forum Resident

1996: there were various pop up shops selling masses of vinyl dirt cheap. People's collections that they had dumped to buy CDs.
    I bought lots, but still wish I could back and buy basically everything, or to sift through the many copies of the big classic rock albums they had, rather just buying the first copy to hand. I know the point is to choose a year, but that year everyone's collections were up for sale.

Man at C&A likes this.
  7. Martgrol

Martgrol Forum Resident

Dream Theater - Images and Words and many more 90's records since they don't get a nice reissue reissue campaign that often

APH likes this.
  8. APH

APH Forum Resident

Then when you return to the present, you are visited by your future self, who tells you to sell all your vinyl NOW!

DeRosa likes this.
  9. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

If time travel is possible, all hell will break loose, and rare records will be the least of your concerns.

Zongadude likes this.
  10. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

No need for a Time Machine to find clean Hot Stamper OG pressings. All i need is my iPhone, discogs.com and any one of multiple used record stores or GoodWill.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  11. Artery1

Artery1 Forum Resident

Late December 1971.

I would buy all the first pressings of Hunky Dory I could carry, Nick Drake's first two albums and early Island and Vertigo LPs that did not sell in droves. In other words - all the records I used to drool over in the racks but couldn't afford on my pitiful paper round earnings.

A question: how would we go about obtaining vintage currency that would be acceptable back in the day? I don't think record shops then would accept my current credit card...

Floyd Crazy likes this.
  12. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

That's the funny part. Vintage currency could cost you more than the records do now.

13. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

I'd probably travel back in time to Bell Sound in the 1970s and rescue all the master tapes which were literally thrown away.

Floyd Crazy likes this.
  14. evillouie

evillouie Forum Resident

I'd say 1980. December 7 in New York City, to be exact. After buying Double Fantasy so that John could sign it for me, I would track down a certain fat creep and use "excessive means" to prevent him from going to the Dakota the next day.

I think you know where this is going...

15. '76- '83 Buy up all the P-Funk, funk, disco, punk, reggae/dub, and postpunk that is either very cheap or cut out that is very popular now(B-52s, Devo, P-Funk Casablanca cut out, Ramones first 4, Stooges, maybe Zappa, etc.,) Pick up a Kak debut or two for myself and some prime UK orig vinyl 60s psych.

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  16. MungoMusic

MungoMusic Forum Resident

~1955-1970 - I would buy all the albums for which Robert Flynn and Reid Miles designed the cover.

Floyd Crazy likes this.
  17. ted321

ted321 Forum Resident

Also the absolute first thing I would do with a time machine!

evillouie and Floyd Crazy like this.
  18. bward

bward Senior Member

I'd go to 1966. I'd buy 1 box of stereo and 1 box of mono sealed Beatles butchers.
    Then, while I'm there, I'd find out where all the unsold VJ 498s are. And I'd find a few Can't Buy Me Love picture sleeves. I'd probably also grab a few mint Capitol album covers, and follow the 66 tour and get all of them signed by the full band, remembering to take pictures to prove it.
    Then , I'd get my ass back into 2018, go to a big auction house, sit back, have a whiskey, and watch the money flow in!

ted321 and Floyd Crazy like this.
  19. Floyd Crazy

Floyd Crazy Senior Member Thread Starter

What a great idea I am glad I started this thread like your trip the best so far,enjoy your whiskey,cheers mate.

bward likes this.
  20. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

Just in case anybody is able to do this- Don’t forget to style your hair and dress accordingly- so not to appear conspicuous.

melstapler likes this.
  21. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

If I had a time machine, I wouldn't be wasting my time on LP's...I'd head right down to the local Circuit City, and stock up on DCC CD's, so I could sell them here during the 'aughts! :D
    Of course, having bostered Marshal's quarterly P-&-L statements like that, maybe he wouldn't've gone outta the business, and they'd still be list price...:sigh: / :)

melstapler likes this.
  22. Dillydipper

Or, take your iPhone, and walk through crowds in NYC holding it up to your head whenever somebody takes a picture...then when you come back, you can start your own paradox collection!

23. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

Not to derail the thread.....
    but I always thought if a guy from the 50s came to the present and saw everybody walking around with strange handheld gadgets in front of them.... the 50s guy would assume that people are checking for radiation with geiger counters.

melstapler likes this.
  24. Dillydipper

On the other hand, what are all these mysterious guys doing holding cellphones up to their heads, years before cellular service! :laugh: Stupid, stupid future dudes!

melstapler and altaeria like this.
  25. bosskeenneat

bosskeenneat Forum Resident

Time machine questions are difficult for me, because not only would I want to raid any dwelling where a record could possibly be, I'd want a durable reel-to-reel & endless supply of tape to get all the great radio stations left,right & center, an endless subsciption to all the teen magazines, a storehouse full of Fenders & Gibsons, and last but not least, charm aplenty to land myself a cute dancing Go-Go girl.:(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.