Dismiss Notice
We are rebuilding the search index and other forum caches this morning. Search results may not appear correct until indexing has completed, and the forum may respond a little slower than normal until this has finished.

SH Spotlight If you have a turntable you need to play your mono records in true MONO. How to do it cheaply..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, May 14, 2006.

1. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

Are there still people out there who think a double Y (or mono button) helps with modern mono reissues?

Old 60's pressings, yes.

New ones.....?

2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Why wouldn't it?

timmikid and violetvinyl like this.
  3. timmikid

timmikid Forum Resident

Ofcourse. Mono is mono. Old or new.

4. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

It's not about how old the pressing is. It's about playing a mono record with a stereo cart, the mono will cancel a lot of out of phase noise.

5. Somerset Scholar

Mono is not Mono. Plenty of set up variations. Anyone here playing with just the ONE speaker?

The double Y used with some of my older pressings makes a noticeable difference. Always a positive improvement in SQ whilst reducing noisefloor. Sometimes quite significantly.

Modern pressings in mint condition? I'm hard pressed to notice any difference so far with the double Y, which is not surprising as the records are cut to be played with stereo equipment.

6. You didn't say 'mint condition' in your earlier post. But, since you did, what about vintage pressings in mint condition?

7. Somerset Scholar

Vintage pressings in mint (or near mint) condition do sound better. The biggest advantage I have found using the double Y, though, is with vintage pressings that are less than stellar. Some significant leaps in SQ.
    I have done some experimenting with different double Y cables (of varying
    quality) and this makes a very slight difference to the sound quality too.

8. So, you do agree that a 'modern' pressing can be as noisy as any vintage one and can, therefore, benefit from summing the channels?

9. Somerset Scholar

I haven't found that to be the case, no.

10. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It doesn't matter if the pressings are new or old. Mono records, regardless of how they are cut, only contain lateral musical information. Any vertical information is noise. Summing to mono, regardless if by using a Y-cable or some other method, eliminates that vertical (out of phase) information.

violetvinyl likes this.