If you love movies, the upcoming 3-D FILM EXPO is a once in a lifetime event!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Steve Hoffman, Jul 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I'll be there for the CAT WOMAN/GOG/KISS ME KATE/IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE marathon on Saturday. And also the "Rarities" show. Maybe a few more.

A note to me from Festival Pres. Jeff Joseph:

"I should mention that not only is Kiss Me Kate in Dolby
    optical stereo, but we're going to be running "It Came From Outer Space" in 3 track discrete stereo for the first time in 50 years!

Also, you shouldn't miss the Rarities show.... stuff that's never been seen
    before and will never be seen again. Unbelievable stuff that we're still
    finding..."

2. RDK

RDK Active Member

It's funny, most people I know are excited about seeing "Dial M" or "Creature From the Black Lagoon," but I've seen those films in 3-D before. I'm much more interested in seeing the ****ty old B-movies like "Gog" and "Robot Monster." ;)

3. Steve Hoffman

Yeah, I've seen interlock 3-D on DIAL M, GORILLA AT LARGE, HOUSE OF WAX, etc. The Vagabond used to show them and a few other places around town.

GOG and CATWOMEN OF THE MOON, etc. are the ones I can't wait for. Heck I'd be happy to see them "flat"; 3-D is just a nice added attraction. That GOG movie freaked me out as a kid. If you watch the trailer for GOG you'll see that there is a scene where the sound inside the "lab" goes out of control with a bunch of tuning forks going crazy. That scared me as a kid. I remember seeing a tuning fork at my doctors right after I saw that movie and looked at it with great alarm...

http://www.3dfilmfest.com/features.php#45

4. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

You guys are killing me. If I win the lottery soon, I'm there. Have a great time experiencing my childhood dream (I literally had a dream that I was at a 3-D film festival once).

5. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

What sucks is that I got an invite to go out west a while back from a boardie over at Macca....but I'm just too tired to do that much traveling. ROBOT MONSTER would be killer to see...and although they're probably not showing it, I've always wondered what HONDO would look like in 3-D....may not be THE SEARCHERS, but I always liked it, felt it very underrated, and hasn't been shown much for decades....

Ah well, another disappointment, but I'm getting used to those....

ED:cool:

6. Steve Hoffman

The people from the estate would not let them use HONDO, even though there is a complete 3-D collector print out there.

Some people are silly, aren't they?

7. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Indeed they are. Especially, since they had a broadcast version several years ago, that was anaglyph, but not even actual left/right pairs, but a full color image with red/blue fringing on it. Awful. Yet they won't let it be done right.

8. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Isn't Hondo one of those films where the copyright status is in dispute? I wonder if that is one of the reasons that the Wayne estate may be a little paranoid about letting high quality prints or elements out of their own control?

Regards,

9. ZAck Scott

ZAck Scott Senior Member

All that I know is that I'll be there for It came from outer space. It's gonna be fun

10. Steve Hoffman

I am seeing everything on that first Saturday starting with "Catwomen On The Moon", "Gog", "Kiss Me Kate" and "It Came From Outer Space" (in true stereo).

Then I'll be at the "rarities" show.

Hope to see some of you lucky folk there!

11. RDK

RDK Active Member

Bump!

This event starts this Friday night with "House of Wax." Several of the shows are already sold out (the ones I expected to sell out), so if you're thinking about going reserve your tickets now.

Like Steve, I'll be spending most of this Saturday at the Egyptian, and also catching a few other shows during the week. Might be a good opportunity for a few forum members to hook up.

btw, for those of you who can't make it, do yourself a favor and buy the DVD trailer collection that's available on the website. It's only $20, nearly two hours long, and contains about 45 trailers for some pretty obscure films. Let's face it: a lot of the films being screened are far from classics, so a 2-minute trailer might be all you'll ever want to see of them. But this might be the only chance you'll ever get to see even parts of them! ;) (As a bonus, the DVD includes a 3-D trailer for "It Came From Outer Space.")

12. RDK

RDK Active Member

13. Steve Hoffman

Ray and those of you going to the 3-D Expo this Saturday, be sure and make yourselves known to me!

See you there. (I like to sit towards the back so don't bother looking for me down front...) :)

14. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

15. RDK

RDK Active Member

Attached Files:

16. b&w

b&w Forum Resident

Not to turn this into a thread hijack but the movie is playing from the 12-25 of this month. What a treat this will be. This was the movie that the DOME was made for. I didn't think visually i could have been more impressed then seeing the remastered Lawrence here, but I think this may do it. WOO HOO! Thanks for the info.

17. RDK

RDK Active Member

Hate to start a new thread in the classifieds, so I thought i'd mention it here that i have an extra pair of tickets for Saturday night's screening of "Kiss Me Kate" at 7 pm. The show's sold-out, but a friend bought a pair and now can't make it. If anyone wants them drop me a pm asap, otherwise I'll try to sell them before the screening. $10 each.

18. thxdave

thxdave "One black, one white, one blonde"

I actually flew from home (Fla.) to Dayton, Ohio to see this at a theatre that was refitted with an actual Cinerama strip screen. The print was privately owned (and in beautiful shape) along with all the projection equipment. The print they are showing at the Cinerama Dome might belong to the same gentleman. The theatre was running regularly scheduled screenings of HTWWW along with other Cinerama features but finally decided to have him remove his gear and return the theatre to its original (boring) configuration.

I really wish I was out there with you guys. I've seen "Creature..." and "It Came From..." in 3-D at the theatre that I have featured in the Virtual Reality section of my website (Tampa Theatre) but I'd really like to groan through "Robot Monster" with Steve and the rest of you.

Looking forward to some reviews and I'm gonna go Christmas shopping on the Festival's web site!!

Best to all,
    Dave
    www.morrisonphotographics.com
    (click on the Virtual Reality link, but you'll need a plug-in to view the Tampa Theatre image...sorry)

19. ZAck Scott

ZAck Scott Senior Member

Just got back from "It CAme From..." Steve I saw you there but you were talking to a few people and I didn't want to interupt you and my group were trying to find seats. FInally found seat up front and to the left of the screen but it was still fun. And What a surprise to see RAy Bradbury there. That was so cool especially at the end when he was asked the question Why did he choose Sci-Fi as his writing medum. Great ansewer. The 3-D was great. This was my first time seeing It came from Outer space ever as was my group of friends.

Actually we were also going to see HTWWW at the cinerama dome but we got a late start in the afternoon. Traffic. But Also at the Cinerama Dome, in the middle of October I believe, It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World will be playing after The run For HTWWW ends. I'll probably go for that one. Wish there was more days in the week (or hours in the day)

All and All it was a great night at the movies. In Fact one of my friends got scared when The rock started falling. Great effect. the thing that amazed me in the whole 3-D process was the little things. THe smoke for one thing and a coule of effect shots. Especially when The smoke turned into Russel Johnsons hand. That was cool.

As for the Sterephonic sound. I found it to be a little distracting. Especially when sound was coming from the left side of the screen when a speaker was in dead Center. But I guess that was what the filmmakers wanted and the audience too. But I never thought that a film from the 50's coulds sound so good though. WHile I was watching the film a question for Steve came to mind. Have you ever considered mastering (or Remastering) movie soundtracks? What would that sound like??? just a question.

ANyway I'm off to bed. It was a great night and one that I would truly never forget.

20. Steve Hoffman

Hi y'all!

I'm sooo sleepy from watching four 3D movies in one day; actually in 3D that would be EIGHT movies, heh. Man, I'm sleepy!

Zack, you could have just walked right up to me, I wouldn't have minded!

I saw many Forum members there yesterday. Glad to see you all. The most surprising (and flattering thing) to me is that when I walked the lines a few times between shows I heard my name called out at least 15 times, by Forum LURKERS! They all said they were there with their families because they read about it here. I urged them to POST and not lurk!

I saw CATWOMEN ON THE MOON and GOG during the day; two bad movies made remarkable because they were in true 3D. So neat. And I'm not the only one who thought so. I sat next to film directors John Landis and Joe Dante and on the other side was film critic Leonard Maltin. We all looked so dopey wearing those 3D glasses, but nobody cared really. I asked both John and Joe "Hey, what are you working on?" (standard "put 'em at ease" SH line) and then we talked about 3D, it's good and bad points, and they stayed for KISS ME KATE. That was neat, too. The movie's star Kathryn Grayson was there, and Howard Keel's kids, sitting right in front of me. They had seen KISS ME KATE, but not in 3D and stereo. When the MGM Lion roared in 3D and the words "KISS ME KATE" came up out of the screen and floated in mid air, everyone in the audience lost it; screaming, clapping, cheering; it was a great moment. So was seeing the Bugs Bunny cartoon "LUMBERJACK RABBIT". The best part was seeing the concentric rings in the WB Cartoon logo in 3D float off the screen. One of those "movie moments" that I'll never forget.

Then, IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE and the short Q & A with Forrest J. Ackerman (founder of the movie mag "FAMOUS MONSTERS OF FILMLAND") and SCI-FI writing legend Ray Bradbury. Wow. I wanted to ask him all about "Fahrenheit 451", "The Maritain Chronicles", "Dandelion Wine", "Something Wicked This Way Comes", etc., but was too shy! :rolleyes:

IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE was great. Yes the stereo would have been distracting if you were sitting on the side, but the trouble they went through to get the 1953 magnetic stereo track out of Universal and sync it up to the movie was an amazing adventure in itself. Show President Jeff Joseph took me up to the projection booth at the Egyptian theatre and, man, the tension up there before the movie was so thick it fell upon us in waves. The sound was on disc, and the head of the Paramount Sound Dept. was up there personally supervising it. The two projectionists had the film on two projectors and a mono backup soundtrack, just in case. Everything had to stay in sync or disaster. But, it worked. Some really neat 3D effects in that movie. The hero in one scene is looking out of his telescope and the thing extended right out if the screen into the middle of the theatre; Everyone was "ooing and ahhing"! Hee. It was truly neat.

To those of you I met there yesterday, I'm glad you enjoyed yourselves. DON'T FORGET, the festival goes all of this week. Many more movies to see. Karla and I will be there next Saturday for the "Rarities" show. See you there!

21. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I wish I could have been there. Sounds like a blast! It's great to hear that Ray Bradbury is alive and well and out and about. This is the period of time he wrote about in "The Martian Chronicles"! Wonder if he's disappointed that things aren't more like he wrote about 50 years ago.

Always wanted to see that 3-D Bugs Bunny cartoon....

Evan

22. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Bugs Bunny in 3-D... Besides the Warner logo popping out, were there any moments in the toon itself that were 3-D???

23. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Sure, the entire cartoon is in 3-D. It's not just things poking you in the eye, ya know.

24. RDK

RDK Active Member

Well, it was certainly neat to see Bugs in 3-D, but I think the 3-D logo was the best part of it (as far as 3-D goes). There's something (to me) that just doesn't seem right with 3-D cartoons - it felt too much like I was looking through a viewmaster. It might have been because the various "depth levels" were so distinct.

The festival so far has been filled with treasures. I hadn't seen "Gog" before, but it was one of those cheap 50s B-movies that you just have to see with an appreciative audience. It's so wackily dated, and the 3-D merely adds to the charm. Steve and I agreed that the best line was something like: "Don't worry, it's just radiation poisoning; you'll be okay." ;)

After a long day there on Saturday I went back Sunday morning for "Robot Monster." Yes, it's one of the worst films of all time, but it was really a lot of fun seeing it in 3-D with a nearly sold-out crowd (who would have thunk it?). Joe Dante introduced it and spoke briefly with the director's son (who hadn't seen the film before). We were also treated to a live appearance by Ro-Man, the half-gorilla, half-robot, all-camp star of the picture. Ro-Man, I'm pleased to announce, will be making a guest appearance in Joe's upcoming Looney Tunes film. :D The 3-D effects in "Robot Monster" were really quite good, perhaps because it was all shot outdoors, in the hills, so there was much "natural" depth.

I'll be back tonight for "Revenge of the Creature."

25. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

you're saying that like it's a bad thing? :confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.