If you love movies, the upcoming 3-D FILM EXPO is a once in a lifetime event!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Steve Hoffman, Jul 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RDK

RDK Active Member

Ah, you're right - that did come out wrong. What I meant to say is that it looked like the viewmaster image from a v-m cartoon reel. You know, the ones that look 3-D only because the drawings are on separate planes.

I love the old viewmaster reels (have many myself, as well as a v-m personal camera), but I find there's a big difference between the 3-D photo images and the ones done from cartoons. I'm not sure if that explains it properly either, but I think you'd know what I mean if you saw it.

Bottom line: at least based on my minimal exposure to it so far, I don't think animated 3-D has the same visual impact as live-action 3-D.

2. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I knd of thought that was what you were inferring. However, the animated Disney reels are often very good.

Wow - I've got the v-m personal camera, also! I haven't used it that much recently due to the unavailability of blank reels, plus my camera needs a tune-up (to correct "shutter bounce", plus I want to get a new hot shoe attachment for my flash - I have a very funky homemade conversion now)

I was shocked to see that "Atomic Tests in 3-D" will be released in viewmaster format soon! I passed up on them years ago (in Le Strade format) and have been resenting it ever since.

enjoy the rest of the Expo!

3. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

From a Michael Starks article on 3-D, pertaining to 3-D animation (in particular, the 3-D animated feature from the early 80's, STARCHASER):

The 3D animation is generally good with four distinct
    planes in most shots, but the absence of perspective in the figures makes them flat rather than round and detracts
    greatly from the film. If any further 3D cel animation is to be done, it should make use of a 3D drawing machine
    which can create stereo pairs with true perspective. Such machines have been known for over 100 years, but no use
    of them has been made in commercial animation. In Japan, I visited Vladimir Tamari who has designed and built
    such a machine. With suitable improvements, it could do a 3D animated film (or 3D comics) far better, faster and
    cheaper. However, the age of cel animation is clearly drawing to a close and one can foresee virtually all animation
    in 2D or 3D being done by computer in the very near future.

For the entire article, you can go to www.3dmagic.com and click on ARTICLES.

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Those of you going to the "3D Rarities" show at 12:30, if you spot me, come on up and say howdy. Don't be shy!

5. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

So Steve, et all - how was the rest of the show?

6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Wonderful!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.