If you want variety in movies, go see them in the theater, dammit!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris DeVoe, Mar 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

well i agree with you on a lot of this .......but its not 'everybody' clamoring for different fare at the picture show (ie non superhero/sequels etc) its basically the few, and i think some of them are watching when it does happen (true some have given up on theatres entirely but thats another story) ....but its a very small minority to the vast majority of people want fast food cinema and they'll eat it up (not putting it down its just what the people want)

2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I do prefer a world where I have the option to select what I want to see and when I want to see it from the comfort of my armchair. And you're making a strawman argument - it isn't an either/or proposition. You love going to the movies, that's your preference. It isn't mine. Why does it have to be only one or the other?

SandAndGlass likes this.
  3. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I disagree with this. Here is a quote from you in the OP:

“No, don't wait for it on NetFlix, because that is not enough to keep new films being made. If you only show up in the theater for huge spectacle movies, that is all they are going to make.”

Many of the comments on this thread I personally believe have been on the topic. Yes, many have been negative but it still makes since.

Your quote is talking about wanting people to go to the theater because you believe that this dictates what kind of films people will make and you may but right. What others are saying is that regardless of this they find no reason to do so for various reasons. Some people see no value in it regardless whether or not you do.

Yes, people do complain about the types of movies being made. People have complained about this since before Netflix. What one has to consider is whether or not they find it worth going to the theater in hopes that they will see more of the types of films they enjoy.

What I hear the negative comments saying is that they don’t care enough to spend the time and money to go to the theater for any reason including your reason.

As a side note, none of us know whether or not new films will be made if the theaters shut down. I mentioned this in a previous comment.

This of course is just my opinion and I personally don’t mean to come across as being rude.

jlocke08 likes this.
  4. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

There have been plenty of reasons given but none you've acknowledged as being valid. I rest my case.

eric777 likes this.
  5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Off side is where it’s at. Viewing angle still looks good. That’s the new norm for me.

6. alexpop

Film quota per year in cinemas I actually see has dwindled to about 30/40, per year..in comparison to 130 per year in the 1990s. Don’t see independent films now maybe the odd one, I’ll maybe pick it up on dvd at a later date. Genre related is big budget action films laden with cgi that compliments the big screen that could never be replicated by watching on my 55“ plasma.

7. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Holy crap! I haven't seen that many films (in cinemas) in my entire life, not even close.

8. alexpop

My other major blight in cinemas today is eateries.
    I’d prefer if folk ate their nachos spicy food Hot Dogs etc in the cinema cafe seating area, assuming there is one to prior to watching on the big screen, all that oversize stuff food is not healthy( and it stinks :)).Unfortunately I can’t make early screens 11.00 am/ midday that’s the best time to avoid the horde.

Brenald79 and Anthrax like this.
  9. alexpop

Well it was the 1990s.
    Some folk love their movies in cinemas.
    VHS is fine, but c‘mon what’s wrong with a being a culture vulture. ;)

10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Geez, and people say I'm stubborn! :help:

11. the pope ondine

i did the same thing in the 80's i remember seeing Tootsie at least 3 times in the theater, i tried to catch nearly everything i could

12. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

If they want me to go to the movies, they have to start making the movies worth going to. It's not my job to "support" a theater or movie industry if they aren't delivering movies I want to at least take a chance eon. 98% of mainstream releases are garbage that caters to a broad spectrum of people (many of whom are not that bright).

SandAndGlass likes this.
  13. alexpop

I didn’t have a tv for the first 5 years in the nineties ..also when I got one I hardly watched it.

the pope ondine likes this.
  14. the pope ondine

awww geeez here we go again....

[​IMG]

jlocke08 likes this.
  15. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

That really annoys me as well. My last time at a theater was a Saturday 730pm showing on opening week at a small local theater, packed full with people bringing in very strong smelling hot food including actual full pizzas in cardboard boxes.

alexpop likes this.
  16. alexpop

They think it’s a communal living room,
    w r o n g!!!!

Brenald79 likes this.
  17. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

98%?? don't be ridiculous. can you possibly give examples of the films your talking about? what makes a film not worth taking a chance on?

18. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

really? food smell bothers you that much? folks have been eating during movies for decades. you can almost always move seats. why let such a small thing disturb your movie going experience.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  19. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I think a lot of people are saying that first the theaters/sound quality/other patrons being more disturbing than in the past, is all more of what keeps them from supporting quality movies before even getting to the quality movies part. The industry decided to go all in on cafeteria/tv rooms aimed at teens, no surprise it repels other groups of people, the kinds who tend to support other kinds of films. A lot of artistic films have just the film festivals and university cinemas circuits and then it's on to specialty channel, on demand, or video if they're lucky. You expect people to support quality chefs when you put up mainly McDonalds? You put a quality menu in a McDonalds and what's the point? You put a great film for adults in a multiplex tv room and what's the point?

Brenald79 and eric777 like this.
  20. alexpop

Really?
    Popcorn is one thing.
    FYI.,.i do move seats.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    Brenald79 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.