Ignoring download cards in vinyl purchases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Muriel Heslop, Jun 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

None of my vinyl has download cards. I guess the original owners redeemed them many decades ago.

2. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Forum Resident

I have never redeemed any downloads included with any of my record purchases. I do they are a great idea for those who can use them, I just don't have a use for them myself.

3. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

I don't even know how to use them. I suppose giving them away to someone who does would be a good idea. (I've never gotten one since I buy mostly used vinyl.)

4. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

They are not for me. I give them away (I hear over half the time they don't work anyway) and if I wanted to play a given title through my digital hardware, I would buy the CD. I do not buy vinyl for free downloads, and unless it is a new release (and some still don't include), most of my vinyl I buy does not come with these things anyway...

5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Don’t they have a expiry date. You down load then a couple of years later. You can’t access it, expired ?

6. Mine are all sitting in the covers (I think) I never use them and don't really know what albums have them and what don't unless they fall out.

Maybe one day instead of seeing a "includes poster" sticker on the jacket at a record store we'll see "includes unredeemed download card"

scotti likes this.
  7. I always redeem them, so I have digital versions for iPod and computer listening. It surprises me a bit how low the redemption rates are.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  8. Bassist

Bassist Forum Resident

I have ordered d/l cards a dozen or so times for releases I have put together and the facilitators told me from the get-go to expect a redeem rate of "no more than 25%".

On a related topic the cards in two Bowie vinyl releases I bought recently had expired. That was Blackstar and the ep of Blackstar extras.

9. James5001

James5001 Forum Resident

I'd use them if they were lossless quality, do they give you a betamax voucher with an Ultra HD Blu-ray?

10. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I have no real interest in download cards. I get the vinyl or cd, because that is what I want.
    I do have some stuff on Amazon music that automatically went on my files, and I have no beef with that, but aside from the initial novelty, I have never really played any of it,

11. gazatthebop

gazatthebop Forum Resident

john cale
    gnod
    david bowie
    nick drake
    charlemagne palestine

12. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

The Nick Drake albums also came with digital downloads of needle drops from the Drake family's own personal copies of the albums. A nice gimmick for anyone who appreciates that kind of thing! (I downloaded them but they've never been my go to version to play).

patient_ot likes this.
  13. Locutus67

Locutus67 Forum Resident

I like them if they're at least 16/44 flac & the same dynamic mastering.
    Tom Petty's Hypnotic Eye & Rush's Snakes And Arrows are good examples.
    To offer only an Mp3 & a compressed one at that is enough to make me reconsider buying the LP esp. if the price is high.
    I hate feeling like I'm paying for something I have zero interest in.

500Homeruns likes this.
  14. JamieLang

JamieLang Forum Resident

I'm glad to see someone is doing the HD download as part of vinyl purchase. I've not run into it ONCE....I've also never run into the "same dynamic mastering"--ie, that the mp3s were something different than the CD. I've HEARD about I think it was Ryan Adams doing that....but....I used to religiously download them just hoping that was the case. Never was.

I've got a stack downstairs....I guess I should punch them up and see.

15. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I always download them, even though I usually do my own LP rip later. I figure I bought it, I may as well have it.

16. Droogmeister

Droogmeister Welcome to the Atrocity Exhibition

I never use them, perhaps if they were not included then the purchase price could be a little less than it is, nothing is given away free, having said that, I'm finding fewer new vinyl with the d/l code included.

17. Toddarino

Toddarino Total Hunk

I use them since I don’t have a turntable in my car.

walrus likes this.
  18. Droogmeister

Droogmeister Welcome to the Atrocity Exhibition

19. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Every single release on Merge Records offers the option of a FLAC download.

20. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

If it’s mp3, crumple that SOB up and throw it away. Flac or Wav.....:righton:

21. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

It's very, very rare, sadly.

22. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

I have a Bellman Tales From Topographic Oceans with an Amazon download link. The mixes are on the records is original. Wouldn't doubt the download is the 2003 Rhino remasters

23. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

I can use the codes if someone doesn't need them at all. Thanks.

24. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

I check if there’s a download card when buying new vinyl. I think it’s better value as I usually want to put it on my phone or create a CD.

Of course, some acts seem to get away with not offering such extras value - I’m looking at you, Apple.

25. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I occasionally find a download card in my vinyl purchases and also use them.
    Although to me I think they're not much necessary, especially when I have a CD version of the same album.
    Wish there's more option of hi-res audio downloads cards. Never seen such cards myself.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    500Homeruns likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.