Ikea Eket and Kallax questions

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by micka57330, Jan 5, 2023.

1. luxury_scruff

luxury_scruff Well-Known Member

I use swimming pool 'floats' to hold the vinyl in place.

I think some people call them 'noodles'? Cut them slightly wider than the space and they fit nice and snug.

This kind of thing; https://www.h2oss.co.uk/product/pool-noodle

Ingenieur likes this.
  2. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

They are home grown. I got the dividers from a company that makes dividers for record stores and the like. The name escapes me and I can't find any record of it on my computer-sorry. Where you are in Scotland, and if you choose to go this route, you would be better off trying to find a European company to avoid the additional taxes and shipping costs. Depending in the quantity you ordered they weigh more than you would think and the shipping gets pricey-another reason to look local. Being where this company catered to record stores, they sold in bulk which helped on the price. I was creating 6 genres plus cards with the genre names. I got enough for an extra genre just in case-so I ordered 200. Where the dividers are raked along one side they used less material which helped keep the cost down down somewhat.

[​IMG]

The big savings was I bought plain dividers. The ones with letters on one or both sides are ridiculously expensive. I bought some sticky 1/2" high vinyl letters and applied the letters myself. My first job was in graphic arts and this felt like a throwback to the 70's, where press-on letters were about all we had. It was not fun but the savings were worth the pain. I made a cardboard jig so I could draw a light guideline to help achieve a constant center point in all 4 directions. I did a few at a time and took a break when I got frustrated or tired. I am happy with the end results.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2023
  3. luxury_scruff

That bottom photo drives you to get stick in :edthumbs:

bever70 and Jim0830 like this.
  4. luxury_scruff

*stuck in

5. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan Senior Member

I am and love them:

[​IMG]

I'd much rather have any floor level dust under my Kallax than on my records. The Kallax underframe raises the Kallax 7" off the floor. This keeps dust off the bottom row of records, makes accessing them much easier on the knees and back and places the front facing browser bins at the perfect height for flipping through the records while standing. I have a library style rolling step stool that lets me comfortably browse the spines of the albums in the Kallax cubes. We have a Dyson wand vacuum, which makes cleaning under the Kallax shelf a piece of cake.

Honestly, I wouldn't want a Kallax based solution without the underframe. I actually have two identical setups on adjacent walls. It holds my entire collection, with my 500+ most played albums in the front facing browser bins. Everything is neatly organized. I can find any record I want in a matter of seconds, and because everything is organized and accessible, I find myself playing a wider variety of music than I did previously. No more crawling about on my hands and knees looking for a specific record.

GyroSE, wgb113, waynevinyl and 4 others like this.
  6. I didn’t purchase the under frame as it didn’t come in the color (metallic gray) of my Kallax, so I bought 6 Ikea metal legs. I did the math on the weight distribution and come out way ahead on the ‘safe’ side. The legs are heavy-duty but look nice. I think they’re around 6”? Agree it’s really nice having it raised off the floor.

MCM_Fan likes this.
  7. I think these were the legs I used, although I used six:

CAPITA Leg, stainless steel, 4 1/2" - IKEA

275 lb load per leg so no issue there!

8. jusbe

jusbe Modern Melomaniac

Love this arrangement.

Where did you get your front facing browser bins, if I may ask?

And those narrow shelves on the wall?

MCM_Fan likes this.
  9. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

For anyone in Europe wanting a spacer to sit behind their records, standard 25 count boxes are the correct size to fill a cube, you just need a friendly and reasonably busy record shop to supply you., but they should be free.

10. Maybe use these instead?

I kid of course. But I too would like to know where he got those.

jusbe likes this.
  11. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan Senior Member

The are the Bin-E browser cubes in Natural White from LPBin.

I bought two of them about a year ago, to see how I liked them. At the time, they were $44.99 each (plus shipping). I tried to order more, but they were out of stock. They finally had them back in stock in early January of this year. They are now $74.99 each, but by then, I was committed to using them. They are heavy, so the shipping charges are significant. I played around with different quantities in my cart to see the most economical cost per unit for the shipping charges. Turns out, to my location, the shipping was $25 less for two orders of 3 rather than one order of 6.

Regardless of the cost, I like them and am very happy with the ease of flipping though my 500+ favorite albums in the forward facing browser bins. They are the perfect height for that.

I bought the ledge shelves for displaying the album cover art from Wayfair. They are 56" long and come in a 2-pack.

Next up, time to paint the walls. The shown in the photo (short wall) will be painted Behr Healing Plant M350-7.

[​IMG]

The longer adjacent wall (and the other two walls) will be painted Behr Lamplit MQ4-11.

[​IMG]

I will also install some 2.5" "backspacers" in the Kallax cubes to push the records closer to the front of the cubes.

Shawn, Madlove, jusbe and 1 other person like this.
  12. jusbe

jusbe Modern Melomaniac

Thank you

13. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

You do realize kallax is just cardboard inside so the screws you have in there to attach the castors won't attach to anything really. If they go front to back like you say it might work but I would be very careful to move it. Personally I would have glued/siliconed the steel bars to the bottom instead of using screws. Never just screw a pair of seperate castors in a kallax unit, that's asking for trouble :laugh:.

14. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

15. John Schofield

John Schofield There is no replacement for displacement

I’ll keep that in mind. Luckily I only move occasionally just enough for vacuuming. The low pile carpet on a concrete basement floor makes for a fairly firm surface to roll on also.

bever70 likes this.