I’m a convert after years of digital cable improvement denial

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by HelpfulDad, Feb 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

There's also the possibility, again implicating #3 but IMO not necessarily expectation bias, that the "listening mode" we enter upon a change in the system is not the same as when we're just sitting down to listen to the same rig we've sat in front of for a year or five years or whatever. We're trying to hear differences or whatever so we actually pick them out because for that scenario, we're paying more attention than we would, even if that's a completely unconscious choice.

I do believe I'm guilty of the above, at least. But I also feel no obligation whatsoever to "prove" to a stranger on the Internet that what I hear, taste, or see is what I in fact could prove beyond the shadow of a doubt that I actually hear/taste/see that thing. Some folks could do well to remind themselves - this is a hobby for many of us. And hobbies don't require scientific rigor. They don't belie evidence. They don't owe anyone anything but the person participating in them.

And at times, exaggeration and hyperbole enter in and products get recommended. Until that person making the recommendation or review of something is actually profiting from the sale of it, I don't see an issue with anyone putting that type of information forward. No one is obligated in any way to do as suggested.

izeek, head_unit, SirMarc and 2 others like this.
  2. Ilusndweller

Ilusndweller S.H.M.F.=>Reely kewl.

Very not fun for me, though I thought I could hear differences. It probably was not fun bc it turns out I could not hear differences after blind AB. I swapped cables in recording chain then blindly listened to recordings/was tested by friend.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
    head_unit likes this.
  3. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

If I don’t see tech specs for any cable on a manufacturers site I won’t buy it.

complete and utter BS.
    Your cable reduces jitter? Awesome show me a chart with measurements that support this.
    Your cable has a low noise floor? Again. Cool. Show me the measurements.

and don’t tell me about your ears hear the diff. Pseudoscience.
    scientists don’t work off anecdotal evidence.

show me measurements and then tell me it’s better. Until then I have every reason to believe it’s BS. Sorry but true.

4. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Nice post. I am sure your equipment measures well but sounds like crap. Sorry but true

Tullman likes this.
  5. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

nice try but sorry no cigar.

6. MattHooper

MattHooper Forum Resident

Be gentle. It's the only reply he's got ;-)

7. Ilusndweller

Tone? never said that worse measuring gear could not sound better than better measuring gear.

Tone? likes this.
  8. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

hahaha

no other reply needed.

Give your money to whomever you choose. I could care less.
    Bathe in the snake oil. Lmao.

Next. What else do you shills have in mind now?
    Keep em comin.
    Ha

9. Uglyversal

Surely the highlight of the day for some.:rolleyes:

The thing is my statement was not directly affected by his thinking on that particular point.

10. Ilusndweller

Some of these cable sites just piss me the F off (from a scientific point of view, I.E. Buncha BS). I'll just leave it at that.

11. Uglyversal

That, I do agree with.

12. MattHooper

As I mentioned earlier: a lot of the times when someone says "WE don't know X" it's really more like "I don't know about X." Is it possible this is the case here? (I don't know because you haven't gone in to much detail).

I'm not sure what that meant.

Phrases like "soundstage improvement" are too imprecise to know what you mean.

There's tons known about the psycho-acoustic effects of reverb, reflections, our stereo processing, etc. TONS of hardware and software have been successfully designed based on the models, which can expand or contract the sense of space, of image placement, the apparent size of an ambience, image specificity, or expanding images etc.

Just playing with acoustics can do this. A lot is known about the effects of close and further reflections on the spaciousness (and timbre) of sound.

For instance, just switching from a very directional speaker to an omni design can expand the apparent soundstage and images due to the added delayed cues added by room reflections. You can do that by making sure your speaker is hitting more live reflective parts of the room. Or if you have imaging that seems too diffuse, it could be that you have too many reflections adding to the direct sound, and adding some absorbtion and diffusion at the right places will increase the image focus. All that is measurable and pretty well understood.

Someone mentioned Bob Carver's Sonic Holography. I grew up listening to such a Carver pre-amp and sometimes enjoyed the effect. It was essentially playing with interaural cross-talk (the fact your right ear will be hearing some of the left speaker signal, and visa versa for your left ear), where I believe the processor introduced an out of phase component to concel the cross-talk and expand the apparent soundfield. It certainly worked! But of course it was devised because aspects of "soundstage and imaging" were understood and measurable!

That goes for the many processors and plug-ins I use every day to create soundscapes. It's truly amazing how much is known about human hearing and perceptual effects, and how to manipulate what we experience.

So don't be too quick so think "we don't know" or "we can't measure." First you have to demonstrate there is a "there" there to measure, be specific about what it is, and then it can be investigated to see if it's due to known, measurable phenomena.

elvisizer likes this.
  13. Ilusndweller

If AQ is going to claim Perfect Surface Copper and Silver (or Perfect Surface +), then show me it.:biglaugh:

Show me data on your Cold Welded System of joining wire to plug and why this is better. Woohoo so you figured out that cold welding is best.

Had they realized in the mid 90s they almost for certain had single crystal metals in their highest end cables they would have marketed the F out of that as well.

Woohoo.:D

And they are hardly the worst offender.

Tone? likes this.
  14. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

You really don’t get it.

MGW likes this.
  15. Just Walking

Just Walking Forum Resident

Well, this has gone the way of most cable threads. Zero surprise there.

MGW, Razakoz, Gibsonian and 4 others like this.
  16. RhodesSupremacy

RhodesSupremacy Forum Resident

Great thread. Maybe we should compare our c***s after class, smallest has to tell the teacher they wuv them.

17. motorstereo

motorstereo Forum Resident

Every now and then there's a thread that I totally regret posting in.........this one is at the top of that list:(

head_unit and Oelewapper like this.
  18. Ilusndweller

I stayed out until I just couldnt help myself. Involuntary reaction or something. :)

head_unit likes this.
  19. Ilusndweller

Same Toshiba 2SA1302 MOSFET chips as Forte Model 3. But noticeably different sounding. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

head_unit likes this.
  20. Ilusndweller

It looks like it is a James Gleick quote.

[​IMG]

head_unit and toddrhodes like this.
  21. Ilusndweller

Now someone is probably going to snatch up all those tubes and drive up prices...

//fixed

// doh!

head_unit and luckybaer like this.
  22. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

Ok educate me then.
    Not being facetious.

23. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

Every cable thread ends in a nightmare ... i think this kind of thread must be forbidden :winkgrin:

SirMarc and Tone? like this.
  24. Ilusndweller

Can I get a woop woot for the push on connectors of cheap azz metal meet cheap azz metal at the fuses in the Forte?

head_unit and Tone? like this.
  25. MattHooper

I'm curious if HelpfulDad has read this link, to see how it squares with his new "conversion"...and with his attitude as a scientist.

head_unit and Shawn like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.