I'm addicted to EL34 based tube amps, I need help.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by sushimaster, Jun 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sushimaster

sushimaster Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have a Dynaco Stereo 70, a Van Alstine Ultimate 70, Conrad Johnson CAV 50, and a Conrad Johnson MV60 tube amp. All based on the EL34 tube. Now I'm looking into buying a Marantz 8b. I think I'm forming a habit and I can't seem to stop. Anyone else have this problem?

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Not me, not a giant fan of the EL34. I'm a 6L6GC guy from day one.

3. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Swap in some KT77s or 6P3se tubes if they work for your app. You might like them even better.

4. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

I've got a U70, that's all I need.

sushimaster likes this.
  5. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

I love a good EL34 amp - great "all around performers" that get the all important midrange right.

I've never been a big fan of 6L6 based amplifiers - at least the ones I owned, like the H-K Citation V - were rather forward/glassy in the upper-mids. YMMV - since obviously circuit design and output iron quality will trump the type of output tube used.

6. RDriftwood

RDriftwood Vintage Member

Steve,
    I would be very interested in knowing which 6L6GC amps you recommend. (stereo or monoblocks)

7. Steve Hoffman

Vintage: McIntosh MC30 monoblocks, McIntosh MC240 stereo amp.

Guitar: Any Fender amp.

nm_west and RDriftwood like this.
  8. RDriftwood

Steve,
    Thanks for the reply. I tried to buy some MC30s a couple of years ago but the deal fell through. I still want some but many look beat. Also, I'm not plugged into eBay. If you know where I could find a decent matched pair, please let me know.

9. wcarroll

wcarroll Senior Member

Agreed. The 6L6GC to my ears is the ultimate well-rounded audio output tube. Not that I haven't enjoyed listening to some EL34-based amps, but I always go back to the 6L6. Wasn't the priority in the design of the EL34 to get more power output? (No intention at all for this to be a thread crap

10. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

I'm with Wes and Steve. The 6L6 provides a nice balance of speed and power, and can sound very linear.

wcarroll likes this.
  11. Steve Hoffman

I think so, yes. I have a fine EL34 amp (Marantz 8B) and a darn good EL34 amp (Dynakit Stereo 70) but I'm a fan of the 6L6 in a well designed audio circuit.

showtaper and wcarroll like this.
  12. Steve Hoffman

Kevin Gray (who turned me on to tube amps) loves the 6L6GC as well, it's his favorite tube.

13. tubesandvinyl

That's key. I've heard 6L6s in amps that didn't have great designs, making the music non-linear and edgy.

But in a well designed circuit, with really good output transformers, the 6L6 sings beautifully.

14. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Everybody has their favorites, of course. Personally, I like the sound of the EL84 / 6BQ5 better than the EL34 sound. EL84 has a sweeter sound, smoother for vocalists. With some albums, played back thru an EL84 amp, they sound as tho they are in your living room. I think the EL84 may have the best "sound stage" of all.

Scott222C and Trashman like this.
  15. Steve Hoffman

I have several sets of NOS EL84s but no amps to use in them. When I had a Matchless guitar amp I stocked up. I also have a Sherwood that uses EL84s but the thing is MBD (Minty But Dead).

sberger likes this.
  16. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Well let me know if you want to sell because I have a couple of EL84 amps that I'm always on the look out for good tubes for.

17. tubesandvinyl

The EL84 has gorgeous midrange, but I've always found EL84 amps to be light in the butt.

18. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Perhaps you need to find a Dynakit ST-35; there are rumors that it's the sleeper of the Dyna line, with kick azz output trannies... :whistle:

19. wcarroll

wcarroll Senior Member

Years ago (late 80's), I found a Dynaco ST-70 and a PAS3. It was with this pair that I cut my teeth with the tube gear, learning how to rebuild and restore. Got it all going and enjoyed the sound, but it wasn't quite like what I remembered hearing when I was growing up with my dad's Scott 299-C (7591 tubes).

Around the same time I found a single Heathkit W4AM that used 5881 outputs, a variant of the 6L6. I rebuilt that one too and found the sound I had been seeking with the Dynaco. I just loved it! Beautiful but very slow if that makes sense. Very realistic vocals. I set out to find another, and did through a classified ad. Not as easy in the pre-Internet days! Of course, the days of finding tube gear at the corner thrift are long gone too! So, 6L6 for me! Coming in second- 7591's.

20. RDriftwood

IMG_4249JS.jpg IMG_4257JS.jpg

I picked these W4-AMs up for $200 locally a couple of years ago. The power transformers had been replaced (apparently the originals are know to fail - or so I've been told). I have a great tech that went through them to replace caps and anything else that needed changed. Had to replace two 5881s with NOS Tung-Sols and two 6SN7 GTBs with NOS Sylvanias (all tubes match now). I like them. My tech likes them. For the money I have in them, they sound great.

21. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Didn't the 30 come with 1614 metal envelope tubes? How do those compare to the 6L6 GCs?

22. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Years ago I had a Golden Tube amp that used the 5881, which is a variant of the 6L6. But neither type really caught on with current audio tube amp makers for whatever reason (as Mr Hoffman's vintage recommendations indicate). These tube types seem to go in fads where one type will be popular for a decade or so. In the 90s most tube pre or intg amps were using the 6922/6DJ8 as a signal tube and then that was dropped and now most use 12AX/12AT.

It is true that the mostly inefficient speakers around today make it a commercial necessity to add wattage as much as can be done with the basic design. That inevitably impacts sonic quality.

23. thewho

thewho Forum Resident

RDriftwood likes this.
  24. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

I think the 6DJ8/6922s started showing up in gear when the U.S. government started selling them as surplus (Sylvania/Philips made tubes from the 80s showed up in quantity). That supply has dried up, and there's current production versions available now that sound ok - there's far more 12A series tubes in production right now.

25. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

How is this a problem?

indy mike likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.