I'm an idiot, this forum is poison to my wallet, and DCC/Mofi have strangled my mind

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MikeT, Jan 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep Thread Starter

Number 1) I am an idiot. ;)

Number 2) This site is poison to my mental state and my credit card. ;) :p

Number 3) DCC and MoFi have got my mind in a mess and "I can't get up". :D

Clarification is in order.

Number 1 - because when I had the chance, and believe me I did, I passed on almost every DCC and Mofi disc I now find myself wanting when they were originally issued. I can't count how many times I could have had "The Wall" in the longbox by MFSL, or Jethro Tull "Original Masters" by DCC, Elton John on DCC, The Eagles on DCC, The Doors on DCC, Albert King on MFSL, etc. etc. etc. etc. The list is exhaustive. What was I thinking - I should have bought them when I had the chance - but that was in the past when I was of the mindset that with regard to certain titles the regular CD was all I really needed. Don't get me wrong I own a lot of MFSL and quite a few DCC discs - but not as many as I could have had new.

Number 2 - after being a member of this site for 2 years now, I have learned that newer isn't alway better. That the DCC disc in 99% of the cases are the ones to have (even over SACD and DVD-A at times). That a lot of MFSL are collectible enough to have, and they will generally sound better than any regular redbook release. That ebay and half.com can get you almost any DCC or MoFi if you are willing to pay the price, but a bargain can generally be found if you look hard enough.

Number 3 - I am now trying to amass a slew of DCC and Mofi discs to the detriment of my well being and credit card (see number 2). I find myself quickly getting addicted to ebay and half.com, and have either bid on, am watching or have won or bought on half.com more DCC and MoFi than I really "need" (do we really "need" 6 copies of Santana "Abraxas" - which I already own in almost every vinyl and digital incarnation available - just an example as I already have the MoFi). My ebay watch area is full of DCC and MOFI discs so that as more are listed I can't fit them!!! I have already won 6 auctions in the space of 2+ weeks, in addition to buying 3 discs from half.com.

What have I gotten myself into, or should I say - what has this site gotten my generally "obsessive compulsive" nature into? I look at the thousands upons thousands of CDs (includes DVD-A and SACDs) as well as thousands of LPS (many water damaged but still playable after cleaning) I already own and wonder "WHAT AM I DOING". I can't take it with me....... I can't listen to all this if I tried...... I am "wasting" money....... I got to get a "life"....... I need a new job so I can afford this hole I have dug for myself...... Yet the discs keep coming - with nothing going out my door!

Sheesh... look what you guys have done to me..... :D :D

Ok - actually I do have a "life" and that is why I could never possibly listen to all the pre-recorded music I have in my possession, and I don't need a new job to afford my purchases (although I am starting to get "antsy" about my job - which usually seems to happen to me after having the same job, at the same office, at the same desk, with the same people, after about 6 years).

Rant over - now I have to check my Ebay watch area to make sure no one else is bidding items I want to sky high/unreasonable prices. :ed:

2. ascot

ascot Senior Member

You sound like a lot of us around here. :laugh: I feel so... so... educated. :)

3. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Join the club.

Welcome aboard!

I wouldn't kick myself too hard about the Mo-Fi The Wall though.

4. MikeT

I understand - but seeing that I could have gotten it new for probably $50.00 (If I remember correctly) - it now goes for near $100 used in mint condition. Psychologically it seems that it would be better to have it than not. :rolleyes:

I can list more titles, but that is not the point. The point is I passed on these discs when I had the chance thinking "what do I need that for" - when I probably should have just bought them. :D

5. tone ded freb

tone ded freb Senior Member

As Americans, we tend be obsessive about some things. And, there are tons of really bad things you could be obsessive about. It's a fun hobby. I, too, have bought a number of discs that I haven't even listened to yet. I guess grab 'em while you can is my motto. I think out there in the distance I see a point in the next year or two when I will have obtained all the out-of-print discs I really want and I can focus more on hardware or, god forbid, just enjoying the music, and I can cut my umbilical cord to ebay. Maybe I'm just kidding myself.

6. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Live and learn Mike.

The way I look at it, sometimes it's just the cost of an education.

7. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

Yep, I went through this, too. Norm turned me onto to some great stuff, and once I heard the DCC, I was hooked. You are many others in DCC/Mofi rehab as well, so hang in there and, of course, keep buying.

8. MikeT

Thanks for the very kind words. :) "Keep buying" - that is really helping. :laugh: (I shouldn't laugh, because you know what - I am going to keep buying - it's who I am!)

9. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

MIke: sort of like telling an alcoholic to keep drinking!

10. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Ditto....

11. As far as DCCs go, I recently got Highway 61 Revisited so I could see what all the fuss was about. The DCC of A Night At The Opera is on it's way to me ...

12. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

Just make sure to acquire all Audio Fidelity discs. now.

they will go out of production at some point.

go get them.

now.

13. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

Been there... Done that...
    Welcome to Club Hoffman!!
    :D :cool:

14. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

I was in Circuit City today, and I remembered a time in the early 90's when they used to have a (smallish) display area just for MFSL/DCC cds. Rows and rows of em.

My teenaged self scoffed at paying the "outrageous" sum of $25-$30.

Best I could find today was a MOFI "Imagine" cd, the remix, in with the regular Lennon stuff. $24.99. (I passed)

15. Vinyl-Addict

Vinyl-Addict Groovetracer Manufacturer

R.O.T.F.L.M.A.O. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

16. daveman

daveman Forum All Star

MikeT, I must advise you to NEVER EVER go to the Head-Fi forums. They are a serious danger to your wallet as well.

17. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Yes, we are obsessive. And then combine that OC mentality with the absolute requirement for (WAHH) instant gratification - the need to have it NOW!

Just look at it ... the fact that you can find out, through forums like this one, about a release you never knew existed, let alone knew you absolutely needed, and now just must have, and find an overpriced pristine copy on eBay the same day, and use PayPal for instant payment ...

Immediate gratification? We can now have some essential collectable that we just found out about 5 days ago, delivered to our doorstep from a seller in Taiwan, in less than a week.

Man, the power of the Internet to transform and gratify. Is that amazing or what?

Little consolation to you, Mike, but it doesn't get better.

As I noted on a Stage Fright thread, I've got the basic permutations (various combinations of Johns vs Rundgren mixes) but I couldn't tell you which is which, or the best single one to keep, so I keep them all.

And Beatles? Let's not even get started...

And by the way, Mike, no clarification is in order. We've all turned our noses up at bargain-priced items that we would soon go to great efforts to seek out and acquire. That's the collector mentality - the thrill of the hunt and all.

Happy eBaying

18. MikeT

Got 'em. And will get them all. I won't make the same mistake twice. :)

19. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

I still see the occasional DCC gold disc brand new in some stores, but they're not artists that I'm interested in. I suppose I could buy them and sell them, but that's "speculating" and takes the fun out of it.

20. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

No, but you could trade them for titles you want.:)

21. Mike V

Mike V New Member

OMG, I just read this thread title and laughed myself into a hernia. Ouch! LOL!!!! Nice one Mike :D

22. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

Most of us here are DOOMED!:laugh:

23. Mike V

Mike V New Member

24. Mike V

Mike V New Member

And you're worse than others - that goes for all of you tube-rollin' fools. That's a whole disease class unto itself! :laugh:

Uh, by the way, I've been eyeing the tubed goods myself (uh-oh!). Time to enroll in a 12-step program...

25. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

With whom...?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.