I'm done with Amazon, what other online retailers do you use?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by snipe, Jul 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

I gave up last week after my preorder of What's That Sound box was lost somewhere between Millis and Littleton, MA.
    Amazon screwed up 6 of my last 7 orders to my workplace. They used Amazon "Logistics" which are just people gigging for Amazon. Somehow the concept that companies have set hours and larger companies have mail rooms and loading docks where ALL shipments must be accepted and logged was beyond them, or Amazon Logistics didn't bother training them.

I went with Bullmoose for What's That Sound, paid 48 cents more, and got it in two days.

CCrider92 likes this.
  2. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Amazon Logistics is really hit or miss. A month ago they failed to deliver a package when it was "out for delivery" and it took me 5 calls to get them to deliver to me on a Saturday (the day after they missed my delivery).

Well it happened again last night. Out For Delivery since 8:47am on Friday 7/27, to be delivered by 9pm - yet the two packages never show. I was told by Amazon CS that I would get my delivery today, Saturday 7/28 - yet nothing and no update on tracking; Amazon Logistics tracking sucks big time. So I talk to three people from Amazon CS that really can't help me, but keep giving me more and more promotional credit (there is a method to my madness) - so calling enough and complaining hard enough gets you some nice promo credit for future orders.

Anyway, I get Amazon Logistics phone number in the US and talk to a very nice person in the United States (unfortunately Amazon general CS doesn't appear to be in the US but in multiple countries outside the US that tend to be woefully trained in how to handle real problems other than giving out promotional credit). The person in the US for Amazon Logistics can see additional package scans that me as the customer can't see (i.e., my packages were scanned again at the depot at 11:57pm last night). I am told in all likelihood my packages will be delivered today (Sat). So I go about my business and check a few hours later, and the tracking hasn't be updated to "out for delivery" - merely that they are trying to get my delivery back on track and give them until Wednesday (5 days from when the items were supposed be delivered) which to me is unacceptable, especially since Amazon Logistics phone people can't really tell me when the actual delivery will be made.

I finally get an Amazon Logistics supervisor, who also can't actually tell me when the deliveries would be made, and for reasons I don't understand they have no way to call the Logistics carrier (probably a 3rd party contractor) to find out what is going on with my delivery. The best they can do is send a high priority email to the Logistics depot handling my package to get in touch with me in "hopefully" 2 hours time.

In the meantime, I sent two emails to Jeff Bezos at [email protected] hoping my emails might be those he actually reads and sends on to those that can rectify the situation. I hear he forwards certain emails with a ? to people who can address the issues from the top.

So if my package isn't delivered today, Sat, I will call Amazon Logistics again, I will probably get more promotional credit, and probably have new orders placed with overnight delivery - and then I have to worry about getting the original items back to Amazon if they actually are ever delivered.

I am getting to the point that I may just start ordering from other sources, even if it costs me more or delivery isn't as quick (assuming that Amazon delivers when they say they will). I might even ask for a full years extension on my Amazon Prime membership - which would be worth going through the hassle of having a few deliveries screwed up (and getting promotional credit for my inconvenience).

3. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

In Austin, the Amazon contractor delivery is good-- the problems seem to come up with UPS most. I think that is part of the reason Amazon is trying to do the 'last mile' itself, apart from cost savings to the company. But, they must have a pretty big fulfillment center nearby.
    My problem with Amazon comes in on stuff like small parts- you have a hard time buying quality small parts, whereas with a few other parts vendors, you can get stuff like Switchcraft, and it only takes a day or two for delivery here (I forget which one I use- I think they are in Dallas--). I agree, though, that it is hit or miss with Amazon and sometimes, I get into this horror show of repeated late/lost deliveries, that seem to come in waves.

4. MikeT

I probably have an 80 to 90% success rate with Amazon Logistics when they deliver correctly - but when they miss a delivery like they did last night, and 30 days ago - it becomes a nightmare for the customer. I get a lot of music deliveries for music (CD and Vinyl) via Amazon.

In my area of New Jersey, I never have an issue with UPS or USPS, and very few with FedEx Ground - at least when I did have an issue with FedEx Ground Home Delivery - they could tell me EXACTLY what happened and allowed me to pick up my order at their local depot instead of waiting 3 days for re-delivery - as they don't deliver on Sunday or Monday.

Amazon, when they screw up, it seems nobody knows what is going on with your package - which is very disconcerting.

5. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

A long time ago I used CDUniverse, I have no idea if they still provide quality service in 2018.

6. I always found Amazon to be reliable and their items generally arrive before promised. I never pre-order from anyone though.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  7. MikeT

Yes - I used to use CDUniverse all the time until a few years ago. I did place one order with them recently, and the delivery took longer than expected even when the items were listed as "In Stock" - and their prices aren't as good as they were years ago.

The upshot of my current issue with Amazon, is I could have ordered all items on my current deliveries (which are in flux) with importcds.com this week, and all 5 items were less expensive and with shipping charges (which I don't pay with Amazon) would have still been a few dollars less than Amazon, and I probably would have gotten the items soon or at least via tracking would have known where and when they would arrive - as importcds uses USPS, FedEx Ground, or even UPS at times.

I order from Amazon because I expect that when I pre-order a month in advance as I did with these items, I would get delivery on release date without my package going missing after being "out for delivery". And if by chance Amazon happens to reduce the price, I am guaranteed the lowest possible price when they ship. In addition Amazon doesn't charge until shipment, whereas importcds.com charges when you order - so I never place an order with import CDs unless the item shows as in stock.

Deuce66 likes this.
  8. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

I was thinking about starting a new thread but figured I'd just add my semi-related two cents here, especially as ...well... first world problems n' all...

A little history first - I've been a Prime member for well over a decade, almost never have any issues with Amazon and often use Amazon UK, Germany, Japan, CA ,etc as well. Probably returned maybe a dozen items in the past decade and especially for work-related stuff, I order thousands of dollars worth of items (office, building supplies, etc) almost monthly. Granted, my little problem only set me back about $100 but it took a lot of phone wrangling and a few weeks wait before it was eventually my CC company that got it resolved. But I'm sure I'm not the only person this has and is happening to.

I tried posting this summary of my issue with Amazon (US) and several of the magazine listings on the site but Amazon rejected the reviews, even after I re-did them leaving out the final paragraph with the Amazon Magazine Express service phone number.

Anyway, a bit of a heads-up for those who use Amazon to subscribe to magazines....

"Beware of Amazon Magazine Express Auto Renewal. If you have several magazine subscriptions using this service, they will not only renew often well before the previous subscription is near finished, but will default to secondary CC or especially Debit Card payment methods you have on file on your account. In my case, my wife had over a dozen magazines auto-renew on my account on the same day and time despite my settings to not auto-renew. All subscriptions renewed on the same day despite some subscriptions still having months of issues left plus an additional $20 charge hold (for what?) from Amazon Magazine Express. Honestly, it appeared someone had hacked my Amazon account or CC and was nickle and dimeing me for charges.

Worse, the charges were put through a secondary company Debit Card on my account used only for Amazon business transactions, not my primary Amazon CC. This resulted in a huge waste of time trying to get the charges disputed and reversed - Amazon customer service was of zero help ("sorry, the product has already shipped" - uhh, same day as the orders were "auto placed?") and it took weeks for my credit card company to eventually reverse the charges.

And for anyone who has a similar problem, the Amazon Magazine Express phone number is 800-772-8574, but be warned, they are pretty useless in resolving problems."

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  9. helter

helter Forum Resident

I never have problems with Amazon

10. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

I've been using Import CD.

I've noticed that Amazon's prices for CDs are steadily growing higher when they used to be the best. On Import CD every CD I had on my Amazon wishlist is $2-$5 cheaper, sometimes even more. I recently ordered an Alejandro Escovedo CD for about $5 cheaper than Amazon. His new one due out in September is currently priced at $15.99 on Amazon an $11.03 on Import CD.

11. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I've assumed that for several years.

12. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

So you encountered a jerk and write off a whole company? Ok...

13. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Particularly in the last year is when I noticed it. In the last 12-18 months. Regular orders are being delayed much more than they had just 2 years ago, from my experience. I got prime this year and shipping got much faster. But regular orders definitely had slowed down by 2016 or 2017.

14. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

I don't pre-order anything. Just order enough to get free shipping.

I don't need to have anything on Day Of Release. Amazingly, I've found that the discs sound exactly the same a week later.

lightbulb likes this.
  15. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

99% of my Amazon purchases are from marketplace vendors tho lately I've been using Amazon.it for some of the brand new 5 Original Albums sets which even after paying international shipping, are cheaper than US Amazon and they are available at least a month earlier than in the US. I do shop Ebay a lot too as ImportCDs usually offer a discount of 20% Off when I spend $60 which makes it much cheaper than directly from their site. I've also had very good luck with rarewaves via Ebay.

16. MikeT

Once again Amazon misses a delivery date - as an item (Blu-ray of Zep's Song Remains the Same - out today) - is supposed to be out for delivery but isn't even though it states Arrival by 9pm today.

So I get on with Amazon CS, and I "pound" them until they acquiesce that the item isn't going to be delivered today as expected, but I should wait until 9/11/18 to contact them again for replacement. I realize that if I stay on them they will offer up something - which they do, a one month extension on my Prime membership (which I now have gotten 3 extensions due to their delivery mishaps), and a $5.00 Promo Certificate.

It isn't as if I need or will even listen to the disc today if it showed up, but I AM going to make Amazon pay in some way, shape or form every time they miss a delivery date that they set and tell me it is "Arriving TODAY" but really isn't. If this keeps up, as this is the 4th time in 3 months this has happened, I may never have to pay for Amazon Prime ever again as I will ride them until they extend the membership each time. LOL.

Yes I would rather receive the item when they tell me I will, and generally (if not always) the delivery issues are with Amazon Logistics, but if they are going to put themselves out there as a delivery service as well as a retailer, then I am going to hold them responsible for their shoddy service.

17. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member

I've had good experiences with Bullmoose and Dusty Groove: better than the Deep Discount/ImportCDs company. ImportCDs/Deep Discount is okay and good for prices, although returning something can be a bit of a hassle, at which time you understand what makes Amazon good...I haven't had to return anything to Bullmoose or Dusty Groove, so no opinion on that aspect of them, but they don't mess around when it comes to shipping/packaging, in my experience.

18. eflatminor

eflatminor Forum Resident

Don't care for Amazon either. I use Elusivedisc or Music Direct mostly. For other obscure recordings, the label is the only source.

19. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

get__imports

Analogue Productions

Music Direct

20. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

You think their service'll be that good when they're the only game in town?

21. townsend

townsend Senior Member

In general, I think about the only online retailer that can match Amazon's gargantuan selection is eBay. And depending on the seller, you can sometimes even get free shipping.

BTW, Amazon's delayed shipping can work in your favor. How? Well, I had ordered an item that was 44.00, and they were delaying the shipping. I look at my "wish list" every day, and I noticed that same item (I had not yet deleted it) was 5.00 cheaper. I immediately went to my order page, and canceled the old order. Then I reordered the item for 5.00 less (with some other necessary adjustments). So I will get said item for 39.00 now -- just have to wait a few more days.

Of course, sometimes you can't do this . . . Amazon pulls the old "we are in the process of shipping" crapola. But tonight's there was a jail break . . .

22. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

23. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I have not had any problems with Amazon. I simply don’t like ordering stuff online to be shipped to my home. I prefer retail stores but in my area they are disappearing. Amazon is becoming my only real option in many cases.

Lownote30 likes this.
  24. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

It's tough, but I do try to avoid Amazon. Not just because BeZoS is creepy and scary rich -- but I believe in competition and quite frankly their prices stink -- which reveals there's probably not enough competition for them anymore.

But also, a lot of my music is specialty-market, small label -- not really "consumer-grade" anyway. Amazon doesn't always have it. And if they do, the price is jacked. Or it's out-of-stock -- "order now and we'll ship it next month." No thanks BeellzaZoS. (And you can't have my soul either!)

I enjoy buying direct from the small labels. They also take care and package their products with love. It's nice to get a box with my expensive product protected, in tact, with a handwritten thank you note. It also arrives just as fast -- usually faster -- than some busted-up, delayed UPS flattened envelop.

25. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

I love Amazon.
    No troubles at all with them.
    One time, I ordered four CDs.
    I mistakenly chose an old address still on file with them.
    I hadn’t deleted it from my profile.
    When I followed to see why I didn’t get my order, that is when my error was discovered.
    The was delivered to somebody and disappeared.
    Amazon credited me and reshipped the order, even though it
    was my mistake.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.