I'm in BobDylanLand in my studio, every darn pressing ever, getting ready for Greatest Hits, Vol 2..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Feb 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Getting ready for mastering Dylan's Greatest Hits, Vol. 2 from scratch for Audio Fidelity and I'm surrounded by every variation of the two LP set plus every album that the songs were originally taken from. It's monumentally confusing but I'm trying to get each and every song from a pure ORIGINAL mix and hopefully I can do it. If not, such is life, some of the tapes are pretty shot but surprisingly, most aren't.

Basically I'm revisiting the Dylan catalog. I have each and every in print disk plus all the original vinyls I can lay my hands on. :^) to try and figure out what they did originally on the two LP set and what they did for the CD version.

I have all the old 45's as well. Can you say "Watching The River Flow", dude?

At any rate, that's my end of the week so far. Stephen Marsh had a bunch at his studio (each and every Dylan SACD both MoFi and Columbia) and he just ended up shipping them to me so he could have a life. However, this is mine for the moment, good thing I like Bobby Dylan.

The vinyl is trippy to listen to for some of these original albums. There is so much bass cut on some of them that I hear nothing below 100 cycles sometimes. Then other cuttings have more bass but less good midrange magic. It's interesting how the cuttings vary in terms of sonics.

My goal (as ever) is to make Dylan sound as much like a human man as possible and let the instruments fall where they may. One thing we must not do however is vary the CONTENT one little bit. There are some nice count-offs and doodad's at the end of the reels but we can't use them, sorry. Only content that was on the original two record album set.

Looking forward to the actual mastering which will take a lot longer than usual due to the nature of the music, the condition of the music and the length of this release. Fun time!

Stay tuned!

2. SimplyOrange

SimplyOrange Forum Resident

Why no count-offs and doodads? You should release the studio chatter as bonus tracks :D

mikeyt and vonwegen like this.
  3. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Fun time, indeed.

4. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

No doo-dads??? Who cares, will purchase no matter what!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

Going to love this one, my favourite compilation from start to finish.

mikeyt, Mr. H and 905 like this.
  6. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Thanks for the insight into this project. Have fun with it.

Pat

7. 905

905 Senior Member

This one's going to be a treat.

8. Urban Spaceman

Urban Spaceman Forum Eulipion

Ha ha! You wrote VINYLS and put it in bold print! Heh heh! This project sounds like a winner and a worthy followup to the Greatest Hits disc! Cheers!
    ------- Chris

ChristianL likes this.
  9. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Awesome - Mighty Quinn!

10. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

Being surrounded by Dylan tapes, CDs and VINYLS sounds like a dream come true. I can hardly wait to hear the results.

11. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

Even if it isn't a hybrid this is huge.
    But will it be a hybrid?

12. 1970

1970 Forum Resident

Steve,

You have a cool job.

petem1966 likes this.
  13. spideyjack

spideyjack Well-Known Member

volume two is such a great zim lp, one of my favorites, I bet this will be a blast to do. :)

14. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

This can't come out soon enough.

I wonder if Greatest Hits Vol. 3 will be done by Audio Fidelity? I sure hope so!

mikeyt likes this.
  15. MAYBEIMAMAZED

MAYBEIMAMAZED Don't think Twice it's alright

How exciting so cool! Can't wait.

16. stumpy

stumpy Forum Resident

No doubt impossible, but to have noted every single decision you had to make between one variation and another would probably fill a book that I'd stand in line for.

Can't wait for your finished re-workings.

MAYBEIMAMAZED likes this.
  17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

That's great news Steve! I cannot wait to hear the songs he recorded for this album! Finally a SH mastered You Ain't Goin' Nowhere! Oh man...the first CD issue of that song had great bass...the second remastered CD took some off? The original album had thunderous deep acoustic bass on YAGN...super news!!!

mikeyt and MAYBEIMAMAZED like this.
  18. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

Bob who ?

mikeyt likes this.
  19. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Very cool. So this would be the first double cd AF gold?

20. DPM

DPM Senior Member

AF gold CD or AF SACD? The mind spins.

21. PBo

PBo Forum Resident

Nice! I'm looking forward to this. This is such a great collection of songs.

22. PBo

PBo Forum Resident

I'm hoping for SACD. Make it happen, Steve!

23. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

First Dylan I bought (8 track) :). A great comp with a fantastic cross-section of material.

24. Really looking forward to hearing how "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue" and "When I Paint My Masterpiece" turn out.:waiting:

mikeyt and Mr. H like this.
  25. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

I picked up a Canadian copy on vinyl recently. Oddly, it has a slightly different track listing.

mikeyt likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.